The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

EP and OJ both have that calm ability to hold the puck long enough for the right play to present itself.

They are both capable of playing "takeaway" defence...steaking pucks and passes as well as the ability to deliver breakaway or "onetimer" passes.

EP has better moves than that punk from Chi town and plays better D.

Goldy and Stecher coming on, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind and the rest of the kids...soon here...one top D. away from cup contending is where we are!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Looks just like Mittelstadt's highlight reel goal. TSN is quite funny sometimes - I just saw them show the game highlights and they showed EPs first goal and not his second beauty. They also said about his first something like, "not pretty but it counts". Hahaha his second was a beauty, yet they don't even show it o_O?  I sure hope they show it later on highlights. I digress. 

Edit: I love how he stops short to get the Dman to stop and hesitate, and then he blows right by him. So smart. 

TSN has become a farce. ON most Vancouver Canuck articles they seldom tag it as Vancouver Canucks because they don't want to see how many come to read about the Canucks. They continue to make it harder and harder to find Canuck articles. Shame on them. Quit calling yourself Canadas sports network. Last time I searched for Vancouver Canuck articles it gave me everything but.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP and OJ both have that calm ability to hold the puck long enough for the right play to present itself.

They are both capable of playing "takeaway" defence...steaking pucks and passes as well as the ability to deliver breakaway or "onetimer" passes.

EP has better moves than that punk from Chi town and plays better D.

Goldy and Stecher coming on, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind and the rest of the kids...soon here...one top D. away from cup contending is where we are!

One more top 6 center and a top 2 d man. Then I would say we have an amazing future ahead of us. 

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Can't remember who posted a few days ago asking if we regret drafting Pettersson over Mittlestadt...yeah no...definitely don't regret it. 

@SabreFan1 I think?

Hard to blame him.  Think Mittlestead is a Sabre property. So he will have a bias?

And they are now tied for tourney lead.  Believe current honours go to Mittlestead. Which is odd, he has one less goal? Maybe +/- is the determinant???

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

One more top 6 center and a top 2 d man. Then I would say we have an amazing future ahead of us. 

I think Bo, Elias, and Gaudette will be more than sufficient down the middle. I agree we need a top 2 D, but I'd look for a Laine-like player to take the heat off Boeser

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

EP 's defensive game is unbelievable. And comparing him to Bure is not fair. Pavel was a scoring machine. But EP's ability to pass creates more ice for him. Freezes defenders and then he goes around non moving defensive defensemen. People worried that he might come up against Shea Weber. NEWSFLASH EP will make the best defenders look foolish because he has unbelievable moves on the fly. Watching his highlights he speeds up and slows down better than almost any other player I have ever seen. Bure was all speed and that lead to his Knee injuries.   

Goldobin did that tonight, undressed Doughty. I agree with you on Pettersson, he also has a nice shot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

@SabreFan1 I think?

Hard to blame him.  Think Mittlestead is a Sabre property. So he will have a bias?

And they are now tied for tourney lead.  Believe current honours go to Mittlestead. Which is odd, he has one less goal? Maybe +/- is the determinant???

Yep.  It was me. I got the idea at the end of the shootout while everyone was still logged onto the board.  I wanted to get a conversation going about my concern for Pettersson's size and if there's one way to get CDC riled up enough to talk about something that you want to talk about, mention a board favourite and don't blindly worship him.

There were actually fewer whiners than I thought there would be over it.  And after 70 or so posts, @Odd.came up with a likely scenario and a good answer and I think he's right on the money.  If Pettersson ends up having any issues bulking up, he will be tossed on the wing since he has plenty of experience there while the training staff works with him.  Worst case scenario, he never gets to the strength and size needed for a top NHL centre and has a career as a top 6 wingman.  Best case scenario, he is able to pack on the extra bulk without it affecting his play and he competes for the 1C position in his sophomore season.

As for Mittelstadt (he is Sabres property), he has a good hockey body (6', 200 lbs.), but terrible upper body strength.  No pull-ups and only 1 rep of 160 lbs. on the bench.  He still has to develop a man's body.  Some people are slower in regards to that than others.  If the Sabres get stupid and decide to put him in the lineup next year (if he agrees), I hope that Mittelstadt puts in the time needed at the gym with the trainers while his body finishes developing.

9 hours ago, KKnight said:

For Center's we have Bo, Gaudette and Petterson ( LW to start and C. within 2 years) as well as Sutter (for now)...if we can get one of the top 4 D. in this draft I think we can make do with MacEwen or Gaunce or similar for our 4th center once Sutter is gone.

edit;  should have read the other post above before posting...they are saying the same thing....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

8 hours ago, Zoolander said:

I think Bo, Elias, and Gaudette will be more than sufficient down the middle. I agree we need a top 2 D, but I'd look for a Laine-like player to take the heat off Boeser

I see Elias being a part of one of the most dominant lines. With Bo and Brock. If we aren't able to get Dahlin this year and Svechnikov is sitting there you have to take him, think of the match up problems opposing teams would have with those two monsters. 

9 hours ago, cory40 said:

EP 's defensive game is unbelievable. And comparing him to Bure is not fair. Pavel was a scoring machine. But EP's ability to pass creates more ice for him. Freezes defenders and then he goes around non moving defensive defensemen. People worried that he might come up against Shea Weber. NEWSFLASH EP will make the best defenders look foolish because he has unbelievable moves on the fly. Watching his highlights he speeds up and slows down better than almost any other player I have ever seen. Bure was all speed and that lead to his Knee injuries.   

If I'm not mistaken, Bure took his knee out, on very bad ice conditions. He was chasing the puck behind a net, and the ice was so bad, a big chunk broke out. His speed wasn't ever the same after that. I don't remember him being hip checked or anything like that, do you? Did this happen in Japan? I think the Canucks played a couple of preseason games over there, and that's where his first knee injury took place.

37 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Bure took his knee out, on very bad ice conditions. He was chasing the puck behind a net, and the ice was so bad, a big chunk broke out. His speed wasn't ever the same after that. I don't remember him being hip checked or anything like that, do you? Did this happen in Japan? I think the Canucks played a couple of preseason games over there, and that's where his first knee injury took place.

His first knee injury occurred in Chicago in 1995.

VANCOUVER, Canada — Vancouver Canuck scoring star Pavel Bure has a torn ligament in his right knee and will be lost for the rest of the season.

"Obviously devastating news to the organization," Vancouver Coach Rick Ley told radio station CKNW on Saturday. "It's the type of injury you'd like to see no athlete sustain.

"It can be a career-threatening injury. But in Pavel's case, with his youth and being one of the top conditioned athletes probably in the world . . . we're expecting a complete recovery."

Bure suffered the torn anterior cruciate in a game in Chicago on Thursday when he was knocked to the ice by Steve Smith of the Chicago Blackhawks. The team said Bure will undergo surgery, but exactly when wasn't announced.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-11-12/sports/sp-2413_1_pavel-bure

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Petterson has skills like Gretzky. Calling it now that he was the best player in his draft. For him to have a long career in the NHL we need to surround him with some tough guys because teams will take runs at him. 

I like the cut of your jib Ken jr. 

I think that Gadjovich finds a spot on Petterson’s wing. He would be the guy to go to the net and disrupt things, making space and taking names. Resign Guddy, let Jake mature and bring Trymakin back. 

There’s some meat and potatoes for EP.