The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Oh god I missed the hit as I’m at a family dinner and just saw a replay. Is he okay??? Did anyone jump the FLA player after ????   

Hit was fine. He picked him up and slammed him to the ice after. No pushback from anyone.

The 2pts are apparently worth more than the guy who got us the 2 pts.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Hit was fine. He picked him up and slammed him to the ice after. No pushback from anyone.

The 2pts are apparently worth more than the guy who got us the 2 pts.

I thought we were trying to make a safe working environment for these kids?! No pushback at all?!?! He should have been spitting teeth!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

• -SN- locked this topic
2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Let's not use this thread to attack other users with the benefit of hindsight. 

1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow visitors.

Do not:

• Personally attack other users. Attacking an idea is acceptable, attacking a user is not.

• Start flame wars, troll or otherwise post with intent to provoke other posters

• Retaliate to personal attacks or trolling (use the report link)

• Harass, stalk, or shadow other users with intent to provoke.

• Use abbreviations such as 'STFU' and 'GTFO'

Again, let's not use this thread to attack other users or gloat. There's almost 700 pages of discussion and speculation, and it's quite easy for anyone to go back and cherry-pick quotes to make themselves feel good. Stop it. This thread is for discussion, not constant 'SEE I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THAT THING I SAID A YEAR AGO AND YOU WEREN'T' posts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

• -SN- unlocked this topic
19 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

League needs to call it... deliberate intent to injure... directly planned by the player Matheson because he was humiliated.

He was danced twice in the same shift... so the "boy" had to be punished.  It was obvious.  And if the league does not suspend Matheson a significant number of games, then Benning has to go get Ferland or someone similar to provide frontier justice/safety.  The league will benefit from this kid very soon: money and prestige.   They have to protect their stars.

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, gameburn said:

He was danced twice in the same shift... so the "boy" had to be punished.  It was obvious.  And if the league does not suspend Matheson a significant number of games, then Benning has to go get Ferland or someone similar to provide frontier justice/safety.  The league will benefit from this kid very soon: money and prestige.   They have to protect their stars.

The nhl will not suspend him. Wish this team had some sort of obligation to protect its young players. Boeser, Pettersson and Horvat are on their own. The rest of the team made that clear tonight. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I'll admit that I love to see a good hit and the odd scrap on the ice but I'd MUCH rather see speed and skill on the ice.  It seems as though the league can't have the best of both.  If the league won't protect the stars, the teams have to.  I remember the feeling well when Naslund was hit.  The league wouldn't deal with it, so guess what.....we all wanted to see Moore get it.  Not that way, but what a slippery slope things get in a league that won't do the proper thing.  Time for them to take out fighting and dirty plays like this with harsh suspensions.  The league will do just fine despite what some think.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I hope the league benefits from Pettersson.  Look, they have never looked after individual players.  They don't like stars.  They don't promote individuals.  The NHL is all about the logo on the front of the jersey and not about the name on the back.  Players are grist for the mill and far as the few owners who run the league are concerned.  The majority of the owners, and Aquilini is one, just have to suck it up and go along with the old boys bully club that is the NHL.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I hope the league benefits from Pettersson.  Look, they have never looked after individual players.  They don't like stars.  They don't promote individuals.  The NHL is all about the logo on the front of the jersey and not about the name on the back.  Players are grist for the mill and far as the few owners who run the league are concerned.  The majority of the owners, and Aquilini is one, just have to suck it up and go along with the old boys bully club that is the NHL.

We have something to learn from Basketball.  Even the NFL is starting to think about the players -- lol they have no choice, what with lawsuits and political stuff happening.

I hope the NHL does better than they did back in the day with Paul Kariya.  Even the players association could do better.  

It's supposed to be a sport, built around a game.  Not something else.

15 minutes ago, Vicky said:

Missed the game - how did Matheson manage to leave the game under his own power?  Embarrassing.   What were all of these summer signings about when this type of play is allowed to go unchecked?

One was injured with a broken wrist/bone (Beagle). The other just came off of concussion protocol (Rousell). And the last one, not sure if he even played or touched the ice after the hit (Schaller).

Gud was buddy buddy with Panthers so not likely to happen.

No one else on this roaster is gonna fight/be rough.

And the guys on the ice probably did not even saw it.

So a perfect wave in a sense.

• Cheers 1

I hate to be the one to say it, but this isn't going to even be close to the worst malicious play EP will encounter in his career. He needs to get stronger on his skates. Matheson is a 10/10 POS for throwing him down like that but what happens when its a Byfuglien or Burns instead? 

I said it at the start of the season and I'll say it again. Pettersson might be mentally ready to play in the NHL but he isn't physically mature enough to handle it.

I don't want him finishing the year with a scrambled eggs for brains just so he can get a Calder and put fans in seats. 

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

Jim should bring back either Sestito or Kassian. Don't need Ferland to do this kind of job.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Let’s hope we don’t hear new nes coming back to vancouver.  If hes continues on the road is a good sign. 

Agreed, was thinking this last night. Every hour we don't hear about him coming back is a better sign. We okay next on Tuesday and it would be nice to see cdc exhale if he's in the lineup.

• Upvote 1