The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twenty years ago today the Canucks signed Mark Messier

Roger Neilsons Towel

I worked for the Calgary Flames during this time.  Saw Messier walking out to the bus many times.  Even though he was on our team, I always wanted to deck him. Still bitter about how he treated Linden, and the crap he pulled in the Stanley Cup final.

10 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Personally I will never forgive him and Keenan for stripping Linden of his captaincy (forcing him to step down) and his subsequent trade because Messier felt the team was still loyal to Linden and his ego couldn't take that. 

9 hours ago, pluralsight said:

Also, forcing the late Wayne Maki's number 11 out of unofficial retirement. 

Was a sad day in Canucks history, but these made me feel sick to the stomach! 

I remember when they signed him.  Most fans were very happy about it.  Nobody really cared about the contracts back then, with no salary cap.

It just meant the owner might cheap out for the team's other needs, or raise ticket prices.

We had Bure and Mogilny both coming off bad years, with both still expected to be 50 goal scorers.  

Theory was even though Messier was getting older, he would just have to feed the Russian's breakaway passes.

The setup guy.  

I think Messier gets blamed too much, the team had 64 and 58 points.  He was hardly the only reason we didn't win a cup while he was here.

I'll always remember him for dropping the gloves on the faceoff and pounding Beranek as an old man.

Despite what people say, he made the franchise go up in value, he brought fans into a new arena, and he made Naslund an NHL player.  There was an interesting read about how Messier was in the top 100 canucks of all time. Find the link, its a good read

3 hours ago, BCNeil said:

I remember when they signed him.  Most fans were very happy about it.  Nobody really cared about the contracts back then, with no salary cap.

It just meant the owner might cheap out for the team's other needs, or raise ticket prices.

We had Bure and Mogilny both coming off bad years, with both still expected to be 50 goal scorers.  

Theory was even though Messier was getting older, he would just have to feed the Russian's breakaway passes.

The setup guy.  

I think Messier gets blamed too much, the team had 64 and 58 points.  He was hardly the only reason we didn't win a cup while he was here.

His on-ice play wasn't the reason we didn't win a Cup.  He was still a legit second liner, though he did a lot of coasting.  What was entirely his fault is that he instantly became the biggest locker room cancer I have ever seen in professional sports.  He was actually worse than if some guy ran a sex train through the entire roster of his teammates' wives.  He was a terrible combination of a player providing a fairly poor example on the ice, a worse example off the ice, and also being rewarded for this with de facto powers as co-head-coach and co-GM.  It's really something I've never seen before or since.  He threw the whole team into ruin within a few short years, when the Canucks were barely removed from the '94 finals and hardly in need of entering a rebuild.

15 hours ago, Toews said:

Messier is a lightning rod of criticism during that period because he was visible when he was on the ice. The real culprits though people may not want to admit it are the people that capitulated to his every demand during negotiations. They treated him as he was better than the franchise when they gave him Wayne Maki's number and this was compounded by Linden handing over the captaincy. Messier was always egotistical but they practically handed him the keys to the organization. Setting rules and boundaries and impressing upon players that no one is bigger than the franchise is what the message should always be. Messier was as harmful as he was because the day they signed him they made him the most powerful figure in the organization. I am not trying to minimize his role in all of this but the blame primarily lies at the feet of the people that created this situation.

Your right. Linden should above walked in, shook his hand, punched him in the face for Momesso in 94, then said if you earn our trust maybe you can get an "A" in a year or two but I'm the captain.

Edit: I understand the  return for Linden very well, but I think we could of and should have won a cup or two in the mid nineties if Bure was happy and healthy with Mogilny scoring fifty plus and him fifty plus that's two players scoring more than half our team did last year.  Add Linden AND Messier AND Naslund for Stojanov....our second line would have been sick...Gelinas was scoring thirty-five too.  Colorado and Detroit would have been fighting for second in the West and Messier could have added two or three more rings.

Instead Keenan and Messier were like a wrecking ball, destroying the best team on paper we've ever had with apologies to the Sedins, they can't hold a candle even in their prime to Bure and Mogilny in theirs.  

End of rant.  What a Mess he made of things indeed.

10 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

The only player to wear a Canuck uniform that I actually HATE with a passion. There are guys in the league that I dislike (Kesler, Recchie, Marchand and Lucic) but don't hate. And then there's Messier. 

After what he did to you in '94 your hatred is completely understandable.

I would say GM Place/Rogers Arena has more to do with the Canucks growing than Messier ever did. It's a great place to watch a game. 

This is one of the worst moves Quinn ever did. Leadership wasn't the problem on the Canucks. The team should have drafted better D-men. And not waste picks on guys like Josh Holden and Brad Ference. 

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hell yeah.  Bang every teammate's wife and you get a code red from your teammates, or else shipped out for a bag of pucks.  Or else the team plays angry and smashes the opponents into the boards every shift.  I'll take that over some self-interested and lazy player actually making personnel deployment and personnel trading decisions, and calling his own shots as to when and how he is deployed on the ice.  I'll take that over the whole team watching this guy (who can have them traded if he wants) get primo icetime as a reward for coasting around the ice.  That's way worse for morale.  The first situation makes everyone angry.  The second makes everyone hopeless.

I might be inclined to agree with you but you need to first tell us what a "sex train" is.

Archived