The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

2 minutes ago, combover said:

I never said Pedan was better than dp

that said he's done nothing to make him better either In the NHL 

Both are NHL ready prospects one provides depth and is in the farm because he cleared one was about to put on waivers and now will watch games from the press box because he most likely won't clear waivers hence the reason the Pitts gm traded him and got a 4th and a potential 5-8 NHL dman and current farm hand for instead of losing him for nothing.

Some think Pitts were idiots for not pickup pedan off the waiver wire but then he would be stuck in the NHL the deal was most likely made before he went on waivers and hinged on him clearing. 

They don't lose a player or draft pick. Vancouver can't say the same. 

what part of "ceiling" is being missed here? and in what universe is Pedan a #5D?

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Or they would have just taken the next best offer, we'll never know.

The point is if there's a young player out there he wants, he needs to pull the trigger, not sit and hope for the waiver pickup.

Hopefully this trade ends up more like the Granlund and Baertschi trade, and less like the Vey one.

it may not end up being as fruitful, but I feel it will be in the ballpark of Baer and Granny.  It could, potentially be more as well.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

it may not end up being as fruitful, but I feel it will be in the ballpark of Baer and Granny.  It could, potentially be more as well.

If by Baer and Granny you mean 30-40 points then I think people here would be somewhat pleased provided he isn't a complete liability. 

Like this trade, a guy who was unlikely to crack our lineup and a 4th, for a guy with a lot of upside who potentially could play a top 4 role is a deal Benning couldn't pass up imo. We're very lucky to acquire a young guy with so much talent for so cheap a price.

A bit concerned about the lack of physicality on the backend with Sbisa, Tryamkin, and now Pedan now gone, but that's a minor concern considering the stage of the rebuild we're now in. Hopefully Benning has plans to address this in the next couple of years.

Overall though, a very good deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-hope-unleash-derrick-pouliots-untapped-potential/

Not a bad article..........

I really like how this team is getting so much deeper at all positions, the cupboards were pretty bare a couple of years ago but not now.

I see the usual suspects are poo pooing the trade but that is to be expected, for some they have so much invested in bashing Benning that they can't say they have been wrong because their pride will be hurt and they can't handle it.

all that LHD potential....

Juolevi (5th OVA)

Hutton (147th OVA)

Pouliot (7th OVA)

thats a potentially deep left side.  i dont see them all making it.  our RHD is kind of weak.

Tanev (undrafted)

Stecher  (NCAA)

Gudbranson  (3rd OVA)

we lack RHD D.  yeah we have subban but no real blue chip depth.  interesting times.

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Both are NHL ready prospects one provides depth and is in the farm because he cleared one was about to put on waivers and now will watch games from the press box because he most likely won't clear waivers hence the reason the Pitts gm traded him and got a 4th and a potential 5-8 NHL dman and current farm hand for instead of losing him for nothing.

Some think Pitts were idiots for not pickup pedan off the waiver wire but then he would be stuck in the NHL the deal was most likely made before he went on waivers and hinged on him clearing. 

Gotta admit, even if this deal is looked at from your negative viewpoint, I'm okay with this trade.

The Canucks got the best player in the trade. Yes, the guy taken with the 4th pick could become an all-star in several years etc, etc, or maybe he'll just become a career AHL player (the more likely case), but for right now the Canucks got the better player.

I believe the Penguins were willing to take a contract back along with the Canucks' 4th. I believe that if Biega had been available rather than Pedan then perhaps the Penguins would have snapped him up in this deal. Pedan had cleared waivers, had a similar NHL cap hit to Pouliot, and a better AHL cost than Biega, so he was the one included in the deal.

This is win and win.

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Juolevi (5th OVA)

Hutton (147th OVA)

Pouliot (7th OVA)

thats a potentially deep left side.  i dont see them all making it.  our RHD is kind of weak.

Tanev (undrafted)

Stecher  (NCAA)

Gudbranson  (3rd OVA)

we lack RHD D.  yeah we have subban but no real blue chip depth.  interesting times.

Even Rasmus Dahlin doesn't help us with a RHD... What good does tanking do now?

2 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Even Rasmus Dahlin doesn't help us with a RHD... What good does tanking do now?

Yeah, but Tanev is "old" and will be traded at the end of the year. Haven't you heard? :P

regards,  G.

5 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, but Tanev is "old" and will be traded at the end of the year. Haven't you heard? :P

regards,  G.

:lol: Probably waived!

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Juolevi (5th OVA)

Hutton (147th OVA)

Pouliot (7th OVA)

Tanev (undrafted)

Stecher  (NCAA)

Gudbranson  (3rd OVA)

We also have McEneny, Holm and Brisebois on the left and Chatfield on the right. A couple of those 'left' guys (including Pouliot) play right side add well.

9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I was happy to have him stay at the NHL level and have Pedan sent down as I feel Biega has a better ability of coming out of the press box after not playing for a while, than Pedan who looks like he needs to have regular game time to remain sharp.

regards,  G.

I was thinking the same thing.  Not many players can sit that many games in a row and look sharp.  Biega is like a veteran backup goaltender.

29 minutes ago, combover said:

Pitt had to put Pouliot on waivers.  If they plucked Pedan off waivers, they would have had to put him on waivers too.  Kinda pointless ya?

Pitt needed to make a deal for a player who either was waiver exempt or who had already cleared.

I assume another team had made a similar offer, hence the extra 4th

4 hours ago, combover said:

Great asset managment by......Pittsburg

LOL.

I realize those grump goggles you never take off prevent you from seeing anything positive, so I'll spell some things out for you.

But first of all, dumping a former 8th overall for a 4th round pick and an AHL contract - you've just referred to as 'great asset management' herpherp.  I'm sure you'd parrot that sentiment if the Canucks deal one of their top 10 picks for a guy that clears waivers and a 4th round pick;).

I realize you're oblivious to this, but this was actually great asset management by Benning.

Let's assume - as you obviously do - that Pedan is an NHL defenseman (despite not one team paying the price of claiming him and waiving an alternative asset).

Benning passed him through waivers - and then cashes in on the fact that he'd cleared - and is available to be recalled (free of waivers).  We've seen this numerous times in recent years - some players have had more value as a cleared waiver asset than as a free asset on waivers that requires a roster spot.   Some teams value an additional AHL depth body of their choice over the freebie waiver wire - and in this case, that may have been the case with Pedan.  However there is another possiblity - that Pittsburgh wasn't really interested in Pedan and that the Canucks wanted a roster spot going the other way in this deal.  I believe the former is probably the case, but no way of knowing.

See, what you fail to deal with is the fact that Pittsburgh did not claim Pedan - which they could have for nothing and turned around and waived Rhuwedel.  But they didn't.  They let him pass - then took the AHL asset and dealt Pouliot essentialy for a 4th alone - as they passed on the (in your mind NHL) asset they could have claimed - and no one did.

People who believe the Canucks could simply have claimed Pouliot on waivers and kept Pedan are missing two obvious points - first, that he would have made it that far on waivers without being claimed by Colorado for example, and two, that they would waive a highly talented 8th overall pick as opposed to a 27 year old tweener that has never made an impact at the NHL level.

Folks could get real here if they cut the irrational moping for a second.  Rhuwedel is a 27 year old with 12 career NHL points - has yet to play the equivalent of an NHL season combined through his entire career - and could not crack one of the worst bluelines in recent NHL history - that of the Buffalo Sabres of 2012 to 2016.

The Canucks identified a premier opportunity here.  The Penguins were between a rock and a hard place on Pouliot - they have Letang, Schultz and no real role/place for the young pmd - and they had literally little choice but to cut their losses - referred to you as "great asset management!'

Pittsburgh clearly did not want to waive and lose Pouliot for nothing.- but they also did not have a role/opening for his skillset. 

'Great asset management' would have been to move Pouliot before now - after they re-signed Schultz on July 1st at the latest - but instead they're left with no leverage in October - and Benning took advantage.  You can slice that however you want, but your attempt to spin this as great asset management on behalf of Pittsburgh is utterly absurd even if in keeping with your predictable Mr Sunshine cookie cutter perspective that poopoos everything that Benning does.

Pittsburgh fans at the HF boards are really ecstatic that Pouliot is off their hands now. 

Hopefully a fresh start and a new jersey number gets him rolling again. It's evident the skill is there, but just needs to put it all together. 

Stojanov says hi!  

Liked the size and aggressiveness from Pedan, my 2 of 3 hopes on the roster for some crease clearers and think twice enviroments now gone. Hope try comes back...but guess well have to aquire some aggression on the blue line in the future... as now our team got even softer, dont really want guds vs martin scenarios as teams usually try to rough us up cause they can.... 

Anyways this swap seems to be no brainer, especially with that kind if talent, so take the chance.

Excited to see him wheel up the ice, glad hes big enough to hopefully not get carted off like Larson.

My bet is that

additional lost games while the d group comes together in front of 2 goalies who never had the #1 role will help our draft seeding.

Hope next year is pouliots worst in a van uniform, ie he just gets better till 32.

/Action Reinhart-weather-dance.

Cheers. Good posts!

Archived