The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans at Rogers

spook007

What would make you more likely to attend games  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started watching the Canucks in 2002, and the last two were easily the worst ones since I've been a fan. I hate to admit it, but watching the Canucks near the end of last season was almost a chore. I still tuned in, I still kept up with all the online chatter, but the games were simply boring to watch. 

Now this year it was supposed to be the actual first year of the "rebuild", but save for Boeser, it'll probably be more of the same. You can argue about who should and shouldn't be in the NHL, but for the CASUAL fan it doesn't matter. They want to see young guys out there like Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg. Like TS said, liking the Canucks isn't cool right now, and Vancouver is a place that is obsessed with trends and keeping up appearance. Casual fans don't care right now. We here on CDC are the die-hard minority. 

We're coming off the '08-'12 Canucks core that was the best this team has ever had. Right now things are as bad as the late 90s. Until the team starts winning, we're not going to see the casual fan care. 

45 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Because our management and ownership have spent the last 5+ years doing unbelievably stupid things that have made our team completely irrelevant (with almost no hope of turning it around in any less than several more years).  When your team is terrible or irrelevant for the better part of a decade, people stop spending large amounts of money to see your product.  Especially when it's free on tv.

Aquilini deserves most of the blame here.  And, the funny part...  THIS (empty stands, what we have right now) is what he was so terrified of - he ruined our team for a decade and he didn't even prevent what he was trying to prevent.  He actually elongated it.  Badly.

I hope he loses a fortune over this.

I agree with the first half of your post, who is there to go out an watch? The Sedins fading? Eriksson not being an impact player? Even if the team had more player like Horvat then there might be hope.

But after selling hope for 4 years and the preceding 3 years it has been 7 years since this team was relevant and for some die hard fans that have watched this team since inception it is really bad management, maybe the worst in Canuck history and it doesn't take 5 to 7 years of this group to figure that out.

Aquilini continues to allow the team full rein, when the fans and media crucified Gillis he fired him right after he gave him a new contract. Now think about it Gillis got canned because the team missed the playoffs and fans were upset about the Luongo trade, but this group has the team in a death spiral and fans not attending and he is doing nothing. Who has control? The group he hired, so yes, it does fall on him to the point that he hasn't done anything about the situation yet. 

I never want tot see another McCaw type owner here, the team will be in Seattle in a heart beat.

Now you have the real reason why the Canucks refuse to entertain Abbotsford as a destination for their farm team:

It would kill revenue at Rogers.

I've gone to games there in the past when Manitoba was still our farm team (vs. Flames) and the environment was completely different. Much more like the Pacific Coliseum was in the early 90's. Way more fun, and way cheaper. (there is a correlation there as well) 

Generally, people are too sensitive now. Everything is offensive. Funny thing is, you drop an F bomb at the rink and you get side-eye instantly - yet the same people who are so offended about a bit of course language will go home and watch a movie or even TV show which is often WAY worse, and have no problem with it.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is a big part of it. When my wife and I go we're often the only ones close to us decked out and cheer. Well I'm using yelling things like "why are both Sedin's on the ice?" during 3 on 3 OT but you get the point. But I am starting to notice some new life in the building , there seems to be some turnover from the "suits" as people like to say. 

But... with the Larscheider's I can tell that people do like it - they start something and more than a few times it caught on. 

I don't really get the impression of anyone being frowned on anymore, mostly because it doesn't really get that rowdy anymore. 

The best thing CDC'rs can do is email the Canucks telling them you'd come to games if they made an official loud cheering section. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I wish we had something like the Southsiders section at Whitecaps game.

Also, is that screenshot from NHL 2002? lol 

The Larscheiders. That is one bright spot this year. Should have been done years ago. It is noticeably louder, when they were in the crowd on Tuesday even through the TV. And the chants seemed to actually be spontaneous. But I heard they were only going to be a part of 8 home games?  Rogers Cemetery needs them every game. 

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I believe you are correct.

For me, the problem is the cost.  I live in Victoria.  So if I am going to go just for a game I am looking at the cost of the ferry and a hotel on top of the game tickets.  That easily adds $400 to the cost.  For the same $400 I could get two tickets to 8 Royals games and sit in the club seats.

The one game I could maybe go for would be vs Columbus at the end of March.  The game is at 1:00.  I would still have to spring for the ferry but at least I avoid the hotel cost.

But instead I'll just stick with the Royals and catch the Canucks on TV.

I feel that way too.  I really like the team, but I live in Seattle, and besides the cost, going up to Vancouver can take a lot out of me that I am constantly drinking coffee through out the day.  Last year I was going up to Vancouver a lot, and then going back to Seattle the next morning or day.  So far I really like being at home and watching games while drinking champagne and eating pizza.  I may go to a few games this Season.  Perhaps after January.

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Prices are too high? Can get tickets on StubHub the day of the game for $20USD to sit in decent upper bowl (where the fun is) seats. 

That is part of the problem. You can get cheap tickets on re-sale sites but for Season Ticket Holders they are still paying full price. Actually the price of the tickets I buy into went up this year and we are in the last row in the upper bowl. If prices go up again next year I will not be buying into the tickets anymore. I can't stomach spending more when the product is getting worse.

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I agree with the first half of your post, who is there to go out an watch? The Sedins fading? Eriksson not being an impact player? Even if the team had more player like Horvat then there might be hope.

But after selling hope for 4 years and the preceding 3 years it has been 7 years since this team was relevant and for some die hard fans that have watched this team since inception it is really bad management, maybe the worst in Canuck history and it doesn't take 5 to 7 years of this group to figure that out.

Aquilini continues to allow the team full rein, when the fans and media crucified Gillis he fired him right after he gave him a new contract. Now think about it Gillis got canned because the team missed the playoffs and fans were upset about the Luongo trade, but this group has the team in a death spiral and fans not attending and he is doing nothing. Who has control? The group he hired, so yes, it does fall on him to the point that he hasn't done anything about the situation yet. 

I never want tot see another McCaw type owner here, the team will be in Seattle in a heart beat.

Gillis got canned because he wanted to rebuild that season. He tried to trade Kesler for futures at the deadline and Aquaman nixed that deal. Aquaman wanted to squeeze whatever life was remaining out of this team in order to avoid rebuilding and seeing empty seats. Just take a look at the return for Kesler, Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st. Why were we chasing established pieces when Anaheim would have given up prospects more easily? It's because Benning was hired with a mandate to keep the team competitive which is also why he signed Miller and Vrbata. The ironic part is had he listened to Gillis, the team would have rebuilded properly and we would have started to see fruits of that labour right around this season or so. Aquaman is largely to blame for the state of the Canucks right now. He's extended the rebuild by at least 2-3 years.

19 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I think the fact that trades had to be approved by ownership (Kesler ,  Hamhuis) tells you how much rein management have had. They need to step back and leave it to the professionals they hired.

That being said. They wanted the library atmosphere without any rowdy fans. As well as charging premium prices for a sub par product that was marketed as a playoff team. They made their bed. They should sleep in it. They should have no problem with that, there's plenty of room now

DL-82g7UMAA2RVC.jpg

1 hour ago, StealthNuck #1 Fan said:

What confuses me is back in 2009, the team had an 8 game losing streak (as most of you know) and Burrows scored the famous goal to snap that streak, yet there were lots of fans there. Was It a special night of some sort or just a regular game..

There is a saying that nothing creates demand like demand.  The Canucks games used to sell-out from time to time, but generally speaking, if you wanted to go to a game, tickets were available.  As the team improved, the sell-outs increased.  In 2002 began a streak of sell-outs.  In some ways, the streak itself gave ticket sales momentum that helped ensure future games sold out.  Rather than buying tickets on a whim, you would have to buy far in advance to ensure you got to go at all.  That streak lasted until 2014, for a total of 474 games. 

I was born & raised in Vancouver and I know Vancouver is harsh on their sports teams, in the mid-late 80's Pacific Colosseum was more than half empty for several seasons and it was an eerie feeling.  I'm getting that feeling again with the past couple seasons, I want to go to some games this year but the ticket prices are holding me back.

I lived in Calgary for over a decade and moved back a couple years ago, I went to many Flames games and even when Flames are doing badly, the stadium fills up and sometimes the atmosphere is insane.  The Stampeders games are even more fun, they have some crazy Calgary/Sask fans at every game.  Here in Vancouver? not really...

I think there are other factors other than the product on the ice, like living costs for example. I assume a lot of people are barely getting by in their daily lives or prefer to save their little surplus on a vacation rather than on Canucks tickets. There is that plus the bandwagoner aspect. It doesn't make sense for people to spend even $40 for a ticket, when the on ice product is mediocre, the experience is dull and the food and beverage is expensive for what you get. There are a ton of rich people also because someone has to be able to afford the housing here, but many are foreigners who may not be passionate about hockey and would not fork out money on a rebuilding product.

23 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think the fact that trades had to be approved by ownership (Kesler ,  Hamhuis) tells you how much rein management have had. They need to step back and leave it to the professionals they hired.

That being said. They wanted the library atmosphere without any rowdy fans. As well as charging premium prices for a sub par product that was marketed as a playoff team. They made their bed. They should sleep in it. They should have no problem with that, there's plenty of room now

DL-82g7UMAA2RVC.jpg

That should be enough to send shivers down Aquilini's spine.

This is a winning city, and until the team doesn't bring in a group of exciting new players that will lead the team deep into the playoffs, it will stay at this rate. If you take a look at our sellout streak, a total of 12 years, in those 12 years they only missed the playoffs 3 times.

It went downhill after the 2011 playoffs, as the expectations were set very high. They did have 50+ wins the following season in 2012 but were eliminated in the first round. Then in 2012-13, there was the lockout, where the interest for some fans declined even more, and the team again lost in the first round. The next four seasons, they only made the playoffs once and that too lost in the first round yet again.

There are other factors too as mentioned (ticket prices, affordability, team decisions), but I think most of it has to do with how the team does, the way they play and the group of players that lead.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

The Larscheiders. That is one bright spot this year. Should have been done years ago. It is noticeably louder, when they were in the crowd on Tuesday even through the TV. And the chants seemed to actually be spontaneous. But I heard they were only going to be a part of 8 home games?  Rogers Cemetery needs them every game. 

Thats really it, it just takes a small group to get a lot of people going. In a season or two the building would be a blast to be in. Its such as simple thing for the Canucks organization to promote it really po's me that they don't make this happen. 

2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Because our management and ownership have spent the last 5+ years doing unbelievably stupid things that have made our team completely irrelevant (with almost no hope of turning it around in any less than several more years).  When your team is terrible or irrelevant for the better part of a decade, people stop spending large amounts of money to see your product.  Especially when it's free on tv.

Aquilini deserves most of the blame here.  And, the funny part...  THIS (empty stands, what we have right now) is what he was so terrified of - he ruined our team for a decade and he didn't even prevent what he was trying to prevent.  He actually elongated it.  Badly.

I hope he loses a fortune over this.

Careful with that wish as the next step after is to sell the team (and possibly relocate). Unfortunately unlike the sunbelt teams there is no way in hell the NHL steps in to save a CDN team. 

Archived