The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson and Edler? Do We Really Need Them?

vladimirpuck

42 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not playing up to a contract is not the same as being the reason we lost a game though.  Arbitrarily throwing the loss at Loui or Edler’s feet because people don’t like how much money they make is unproductive. 

Considering at the moment he’s untradable and in a buyout-proof contract I can’t understand the amount of complaining on Loui... there is literally nothing to be done with him.  As you admit, he’s playing well enough to warrant a spot so the coach shouldn’t sit him either.  All we can do is hope he finds his groove.  

Not extending Hansen or Burrows netted us Goldobin and Dahlen.  Loui in the lineup might be a waste of cap but he does free up other vets to be traded if you’re worried about having a balanced roster - some vets to help steady the kids

I don't believe I ever said they cost us the game. 

I dont agree there is nothing that can be done with Loui.  Maybe not immediately but I would hope that management is constantly considering options in his case assuming he doesn't suddenly find his scoring touch.  Acceptance of his position for another 5 years is not okay.

We do need vets to balance the kids but the right kind of vets.  Jb has said recently he is still focused on changing the culture of this team...Edler and Eriksson are not the kind of vets.to do that. Nether is gagner.  I would rather have seen them bring in iginla and Doan on 1 year deal.  Neither is what they were but they both play the right waY and don't take any $&!# from.anyone...That would be good for our kids to develop under.

42 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't believe I ever said they cost us the game. 

I dont agree there is nothing that can be done with Loui.  Maybe not immediately but I would hope that management is constantly considering options in his case assuming he doesn't suddenly find his scoring touch.  Acceptance of his position for another 5 years is not okay.

We do need vets to balance the kids but the right kind of vets.  Jb has said recently he is still focused on changing the culture of this team...Edler and Eriksson are not the kind of vets.to do that. Nether is gagner.  I would rather have seen them bring in iginla and Doan on 1 year deal.  Neither is what they were but they both play the right waY and don't take any $&!# from.anyone...That would be good for our kids to develop under.

Yes, you didn’t lay blame but some others were.  That part wasn’t directed at you - sometimes I quote one but am responding to a general theme in a thread.   Apologies.  

I do think JB will be exploring outs on Loui whether fans make noise or not.. it’s just a no brainer for when we’re hopefully ready to contend in a few years (when mercifully his contact becomes movable.)

I agree with the rest - it’s why I’m a fan of Guddy, Dorsett and Sutternuts.  With Bo, Gaunce, Brock, Lind, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Virtanen, MacEwen... we have a new crop of forwards who are big and/or scrappy enough to mold a different identity.  

I don’t mind Loui and Edler being a steady Swede or two once the twins retire... over 82 games an even keel attitude is a benefit as well. but I’m on board with adding a bit more push back and scrappiness to the roster that we haven’t had since Kesler/Torres/Burrows/Bieksa. Those teams were far from tough but still seem like more than what we have now.

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Eriksson has been a disaster and now we're stuck with that albatross of a contract.  Vanek, Gagner, and Burmistrov all take turns mailing it in, we're lucky if any of them show up.  Then the Sedins who probably played their worse game in over 10 years last night.  If Boeser or Virtanen turned it over like Hank did on that shorty it would equate to a one way trip to Utica.  I hate this double standard where the vets get impunity no matter how bad they play while the young players have to constantly look over their shoulders.  

Completely agree. One of the most important reasons to not re-sign the Sedins is to provide opportunity to youngsters. Absolutely time to move on.

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

edler and ericksson were certainly to blame for our loss to anaheim but they played no worse than anyone else against SJ. 

Since Eriksson wasn't even on the ice against Anaheim, I'm curious to know what exactly you're blaming him for. Perhaps for not being healthy enough to be on the ice against Anaheim? Or not participating well enough during practice before the game against Anaheim???

18 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Since Eriksson wasn't even on the ice against Anaheim, I'm curious to know what exactly you're blaming him for. Perhaps for not being healthy enough to be on the ice against Anaheim? Or not participating well enough during practice before the game against Anaheim???

i was being sarcastic. someone said, that when they came back, the team started losing. imo, louie deserves the rest of the season before people throw him under the bus. 

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i was being sarcastic. someone said, that when they came back, the team started losing. imo, louie deserves the rest of the season before people throw him under the bus. 

Ah, I see. We share the same problem, Joe. Where's the sarcasm button when you need one? Me personally, for as long as the kids are improving and the style of game is more fun, I'm already satisfied. What's sunk cost is sunk cost.

Is the Loui signing similar to the Leaf’s, when they signed Clarkson those years back?  If I remember correctly, Nonis and Burke kept trying to avoid the fall to the bottom by trading away picks, and signing UFAs.  It was a disaster for them, as it’s (looking to be) a disaster for us.  God I HATE THE LEAFS, and I’m POed that JB followed the same stupid path. :sadno:

50 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

as long as louie and edler are on this team, i'm going to root for them. i'll let the cdc gm's critique them. 

Loui has a pretty iron clad contract and will be here a while. So I tend to agree. Would be great if fans could embrace him cuz hes part of the family for a few years. And I think he's got more to offer. 

Saying goodbye to the Sedins is hard but necessary. They're ready to retire. I hope they announce in January that this is their last year so we can all celebrate their last 30 games.  

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Thanks for sharing that vid.  That sure brings back memories.  I forgot about all the other parasites we used to have on the team like Dementia (Demitra) and Doughnut-Boy (Wellwood).   I guess things could actually be worse than they are after watching that!

Demitra was great for us, you don't know what you're saying man...sad that he passed at only 36. 

29 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Demitra was great for us, you don't know what you're saying man...sad that he passed at only 36. 

Yes, that was one of the most terrible tragedies and saddest days in sports but it doesn't negate his lack of performance on the team and why he was removed.

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

imo, louie deserves the rest of the season before people throw him under the bus. 

You give a might long leash, Joe. Eriksson was a huge disappointment last season, for a $6m man I sure expected a hell of a lot more than he produced.

He should be embarrassed, ashamed and absolutely dying inside to prove to himself that he's worth it.

He played a solid game last night, yes he did, but he needs to play like that or better every single night to prove he deserves that contract. Otherwise he's a thief, stealing a spot from a kid who could grow into something great, and taking money he doesn't deserve from the Canucks.

I think he can do it, he just needs to giver every second he's on the ice. 

The reality is that we have to play them if we ever want to trade them. You're never going to get decent returns for them if you sit them in the press box.

So basically, yes, we need them. We need them to pick up their level of play going forward and become integral parts of the team. 

To me, it all changed when we saw the split teams in pre-season.The old squad playing their same predictable checkerboard style, then our young squad left in town playing the newer faster style we need to play. The old squad has tenure and cannot be replaced til their contracts run out. 

So I vote all in for another tank year!

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Rest of the season to what?  Solidify himself on the top ten free agent fails countdown?

Archived