The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers may consider trading first round pick

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then how about our 7 + Hutton/Baertschi/Granlund for NYI 11+12, and snag 'em both?

Don't think it'll be enough to get both picks especially for Hutton/Granlund. Baertschi has some value, but not enough to make this deal happen. Would you take that offer if the tables were turned? I certainly wouldn't since those two players might be available and there's no stand out at 7. NYI lacks goaltending and there could be a play for one of their first if a decent goalie was available.

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Don't think it'll be enough to get both picks especially for Hutton/Granlund. Baertschi has some value, but not enough to make this deal happen. Would you take that offer if the tables were turned? I certainly wouldn't since those two players might be available and there's no stand out at 7. NYI lacks goaltending and there could be a play for one of their first if a decent goalie was available.

Would depend who's on the board at 7 and if I really valued him over what'll be available at 11/12.  Also what other roster needs there are depth-wise and if those players could fill them, plus the Tavares situation so there's a lot of factors aside from just the asset values.  Also consider that they have the 41 and 43 picks.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then how about our 7 + Hutton/Baertschi/Granlund for NYI 11+12, and snag 'em both?

I doubt they would do it aaaaand grabbing 1 of Boq, Hughes, Wahl, Veleno would be far more pivotal for the canucks than 2 of Woo, Smith, Farabee, Wilde, Hayton anyhow so. Lets just see whos left at 7.

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I doubt they would do it aaaaand grabbing 1 of Boq, Hughes, Wahl, Veleno would be far more pivotal for the canucks than 2 of Woo, Smith, Farabee, Wilde, Hayton anyhow so. Lets just see whos left at 7.

2 borderline third-tier assets likely trump 1 second-tier, especially considering the fluidity between them.  e.g. Smith could turn out better than Hughes or Dobson, Veleno/Kotkaniemi could turn out better than Wahlstrom, etc.  JB claims the break is at 10/11, and almost always someone reaches before then to skew the division.

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would depend who's on the board at 7 and if I really valued him over what'll be available at 11/12.  Also what other roster needs there are depth-wise and if those players could fill them, plus the Tavares situation so there's a lot of factors aside from just the asset values.  Also consider that they have the 41 and 43 picks.

Can't see anyone at 7 worth giving up two back to back 1st for. NYI could use more depth, but again not at that price. Their biggest need is solid goaltending.

You could probably get 11 and 41 (maybe a mid-low range prospect or a 5th as well) for the 7th if the Canucks feel they're better off with a player in that range.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:35 AM, Alflives said:

I think the Oilers need a defensive minded center more than another defensive D.

You know Alf, this actually makes a lot of sense...

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

Ottawa and Edmonton make sense as trade partners.

Because their GM's are stupid??? :unsure:

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You know Alf, this actually makes a lot of sense...

Because their GM's are stupid??? :unsure:

Karlsson would suit EDM bang on (other than he might not want to re-sign in the ampit that is EDM) and EDM has a high pick that would help OTT re-tool/build. Not sure EDM has enough other  assets they can afford to lose to nab EK though.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Karlsson would suit EDM bang on (other than he might not want to re-sign in the ampit that is EDM) and EDM has a high pick that would help OTT re-tool/build. Not sure EDM has enough other  assets they can afford to lose to nab EK though.

Maybe something like 10th OA, RNH and Nurse for Karlsson and 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Of course you would need to know that he would sign a contract with the oilers.

3 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

cant wait to see benning trade down for 11th and 12th to the islanders for 7th and hutton

Because apparently having back to back firsts in a deep draft is a bad thing. 

On 5/2/2018 at 10:09 AM, Outsiders said:

Tanev + Kole Lind

For 

10th?

Gotta give up something to get something. 

7th... Dobson/Hughes 

10th... Kotkaniemi

Their priority is to fix their lack of scoring from the blue line.  Tanev doesn't address that need.  No Canucks' D does - they got even less offence from their Ds than Edmonton.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Their priority is to fix their lack of scoring from the blue line.  Tanev doesn't address that need.  No Canucks' D does - they got even less offence from their Ds than Edmonton.

Edmonton may need some more offence from their back end, but they also need to play better defence.  Tanev blocks shots and retrieves pucks, and has a solid cap hit for his value. They would have interest in him for sure.  

Pundits suggesting that the 10 pick is similar value to a 20th pick in this draft.  I agree with that in terms of player value.  They should just draft Smith imho. 

If the Canucks could steal the pick, I’d take another D. 

Grabbing 3 D in the top 38 would transform the prospect pool.  

Archived