The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jason Spezza, can the Canucks make a play?

I've heard this twice on the radio in the last few days and thought it was worthy of discussion.  First, was from Thunder Bay native, Alex Auld and today, from Sir Elliot Friedman. :rolleyes:

Dallas is up against the cap and they need a shot in the arm to get their core back to the playoffs.  Spezza has a $7.5M cap hit with one year remaining.  He has a modified NTC with a 10 team list.  Spezza had an off year, putting up less than half his usual  production (8-18-26) possibly due to everybody's favorite coach, Ken Hitchcock.   

The Canucks have a need to upgrade on their 2C position but have few assets that they can deal for a suitable player.  They may be able to utilize their cap space.

A possible deal could involve 2 teams and simply free up cap space so they could go after a top free agent or be part of a 3-way deal so that Dallas could target a particular player. 

I would assume Dallas would want to find another second line centre if they lost Spezza, and considering we don't have any centres to offer, they would be chasing someone either in another trade or through FA, meaning likely they won't be taking salary back.  In that case I would ask for a high return like OP said a 1st round pick.

As unlikely as it is to happen, I would be happy if the Canucks acquired Spezza.  By now, Spezza's a shadow of his former self but he should still be able to help shelter the younger guys and would be a good stop gap before the younger guys are ready to take on more responsibility.

Even if the Stars bought him out, the Canucks could try to sign Spezza.  I'm not sure he would be willing to come to Vancouver though unless he's not picky about going to a non-contending team.

Yes. This is a far better way to use the cap than to spend it on a journeyman NHLer.

Since he has only one year remaining, maybe we can ask for 2nd round pick. We can give them a marginal NHLer like Dowd in return or if they want a roster player like Baertschi, we can increase our asking price.

If Dallas were to try and snag a C from free agency, the only two that are worthy of second line C behind Seguin are Stastny and Tavares.. I can't see any other C that could potentially hit free agency that would make an impact as a 2C given the age of the players heading into free agency for C.

I would be open to taking on Spezzas high contract for one year, but we would need to get something decent out of it. A draft pick or a D prospect - don’t need anymore F prospects!

I don’t think Dallas would do this. 

More likely that Van just slots Jokinen, Gagner or Granny into that empty 2C slot until Petterson or Gaudette proves themselves ready.

Kick these c*********s to the curb. Nill isn't as clever as he 1st appeared. Benn/Seguin are cheesy trash. Good leaders, if it's a pack of hyenas.

Bishop is a boat anchor. Brutal contract, for an injury-prone, awkward bum. Still paying 1.5 mill for Auntie Meanie buyout.

Radulov + Hanzal + Spezza = 18,000,000 for next yr. Our GM has taken so much heat..look at these signings & acquisitions!

Willie D took their AHL team all the way(2014?)..appears they wasted that graduating youth, with misfit vets. Back to the drawing board!

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Owners of both teams don't like each other. Why would ownership help out Dallas? And why would Vancouver want to get slower?

Unless there's a first rounder in play I doubt it. 

you scratch my back and I scratch yours?

So Spezza to Vancouver for Spezza + 1st for Vancouver's 2nd Round and future considerations (if Spezza resigns Vancouver gives a 4th round pick ... which he never will lol)

Trade Deadline Vancouver trades Spezza (with Cap Retention) for a pick? 

Pass.  We want players with full thick lush hair, Spezza's follicles just don't align with this current teams direction.

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

you scratch my back and I scratch yours?

Are you coming on to me?

Archived