The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

@Alexandre

i know I’m nuts, but I can’t help being a crazy old worry wart.  :(

Hughes is the best player we have ever had, next to Pavel Bure, as soon as he steps on the ice.  

Hmmm...I don't even see him as the best player on the current team.  Now, if you were talking about Jack Hughes...

• Upvote 1

Hutton and Pouliot will need to show they belong. If they show up to camp conditioned and improved, then I think Hughes plays in Utica or goes back to college. Benning isn't going to want to rush this kid, he's a prized possession and they will want him developed well, before taking on the NHL's best. If he plays in Utica this year, I can see him getting a handful of games after the TDL.

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If they show up to camp conditioned and improved, then I think Hughes plays in Utica or goes back to college.

Hughes can not wait for Canuck camp to make his decision about college.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I was listening to 1040 and the were talking about the Canuck's being close to signing Quinn.  Has anyone heard anything else on the topic or is Pratt blowing smoke again?

I believe they will not make any decisions until they evaluate further.

So not until after training camp. 

1 minute ago, Mr.hockey604 said:

Won't quin need to have made a decision at least about college though? 

1 minute ago, Mr.hockey604 said:

I heard this week?

i think there might be a deadline to sign college kids, or they go back?  I think the college kids are back in school even before training camp?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mr.hockey604 said:

your belief is wrong.

Hughes has to decide to turn pro or go back to college in the next week or two max.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Says the fact US college starts in late August.

They're waiting on Hughes's decision so they can make moves accordingly, it would be selfish if he had waited until the last minute, especially if he decides to turn pro. 

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

your belief is wrong.

Hughes has to decide to turn pro or go back to college in the next week or two max.

His coach in Michigan said om 1040 a week ago it would be by the end of this week. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

IIRC I think Benning was asked the question again and he said they did have Zadina ranked ahead of Hughes. Not positive about that though. If I had to guess it would be something like

Dahlin

Svechnikov

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi

Dobson

Hayton

2 centers in the top 7. Tkachuck or Wahlstrom may be in there instead of Dobson. Just guessing at this point though. 

If you listen at the 6:25 mark you will hear Walker ask Benning what if Zadina fell, would there have been any debate picking him (over Hughes). Benning says no, that they would have stayed with the guy they picked. Haven't heard Benning say otherwise anywhere else. Their final draft list is never revealed and they are reluctant to say too much about it including the order the picks are in. However, the final list is final and if he says they would have picked Hughes ahead of Zadina then Hughes would be rated ahead of Zadina and would not change in any subsequent interviews. Benning, of course, could have forgotten the order his top seven picks were and had to correct himself later but I doubt that.

In another interview, I do remember Benning saying that he had the same top seven. He just did not reveal the order they were in other than that tidbit about picking Hughes over Zadina. So no Dobson in the top seven but Tkachuk instead.

My guess for the Canucks top 7:

Dahlin

Svechnikov

Hughes

Tkachuk

Kotkaniemi

Zadina

Hayton

So the Coyotes and Canadiens reached a couple of spots each because of their need for centermen. Detroit is kind of a head-scratcher.  I guess their list had Zadina ahead of Hughes.

• Cheers 1

Heard from Platt this morning that he heard the Canucks are likely to sign Hughes this week! If true, that's great news for the fans! If he's not ready just yet for the NHL, he can always develop in Utica...  gotta be more competitive than college?

33 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Heard from Platt this morning that he heard the Canucks are likely to sign Hughes this week! If true, that's great news for the fans! If he's not ready just yet for the NHL, he can always develop in Utica...  gotta be more competitive than college?

Pratt? I wouldn't trust a word he says. Also, I rather him have one more year in collage (schedule and more time to workout and grow) than go to Utica. 

47 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

Pratt? I wouldn't trust a word he says. Also, I rather him have one more year in collage (schedule and more time to workout and grow) than go to Utica. 

I agree....Pratt does need to take more writing and English classes.::D

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Analyst82 said:

41 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I agree....Pratt does need to take more writing and English classes.::D

I'd rather he head straight to Utica, on a one-way ticket.

(Sorry, Comets)

• Like 1

I don't think Hughes has much more room to add weight to his frame. Which is why I don't think he necessarily needs the weight room time all that much. Getting used to a pro schedule sooner, in my humble opinion, seems more beneficial than adding 10 pounds in college. Which he could do in Utica or even during the summer. Not to mention we get the benefit of bringing him up to the big boy team if he deserves a sniff, if he doesn't outright crack the roster outta camp. I am pro- him going pro right now. Lol.