The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

First goal of the season for Jett!

And Woo knocking guys down:

Woo has 1G,1A, 2pts, +1, 4 PIM, and 7 SOG in 3 GP this season.

My boy getting it done! Absolute beast.

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

First goal of the season for Jett!

And Woo knocking guys down:

Woo has 1G,1A, 2pts, +1, 4 PIM, and 7 SOG in 3 GP this season.

OH BOY, we have another reverse hit guy in our system. Love it. Him and Jake will be wrecking balls for our team. Woo is physical enough he could push for a spot next year. Is he eligible for the AHL next year Sid? Thanks

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

OH BOY, we have another reverse hit guy in our system. Love it. Him and Jake will be wrecking balls for our team. Woo is physical enough he could push for a spot next year. Is he eligible for the AHL next year Sid? Thanks

Edler has also been rocking the reverse hit for years! Just when you think your about to slam the guy into the boards he jumps back into you.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Is he eligible for the AHL next year Sid? Thanks

No, unfortunately Woo won't be AHL eligible next year.

CHL players need to be 20 years old (as of December 31st of the year the AHL season starts) or have completed a full 4 years of major junior. 

The earliest Woo can meet AHL eligibility requirements is the 2020-21 season.

He's currently 18 (he turns 19 next summer) playing in his third full season in the WHL.

• Thanks 1

On 2018-10-14 at 12:39 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Somehow I believe jet woo would have stuck up,for pettersson yesterday.

If the rest of the team doesn't see what happened, it's hard to stick up. I know there's a lot of frustration towards what happened, but don't forget about players like Guddy sticking up for him the first game. Woo doesn't change this.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Bolded my favourite part of the quote. I’d love it if Jett can continue to bring that kind of intimidation to his pro game. Especially because he does it purely through clean hits. Nothing better than a guy who strikes fear in opponents, while playing within the rules.

image.png.eda1264bc13f50f6db8f796682a06d66.pngimage.png.ddb77b185fdcc59e6ccb05fc3d0a083f.png

26 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good interview with Tim Hunter on The Athletic talking about Jett. I won’t quote the whole thing because it’s subscription and probably not cool to copy their paid content, but figured CDCers without access would enjoy this quote (where Hunter talks about the game where Woo made a sequence of reverse hits to knock guys on their butts):

https://theathletic.com/602217/2018/10/20/qa-tim-hunter-on-canucks-prospect-jett-woo-who-has-a-reputation-for-popping-guys/

“Those were reverse hits and, yeah, they were great. One guy was about a buck-eighty and the other was 230 — the second guy he knocked down — so, not an easy feat. He’s got that kind of old-school physicality to him, a little bit like Scott Stevens, popping guys through the neutral zone. Guys have a little bit of fear when Jett’s on the ice, and that’s uncomfortable for forwards and makes for good defence for us. They go over the boards and aren’t comfortable right away, and they haven’t even taken a stride yet.”

Bolded my favourite part of the quote. I’d love it if Jett can continue to bring that kind of intimidation to his pro game. Especially because he does it purely through clean hits. Nothing better than a guy who strikes fear in opponents, while playing within the rules.

Yah, read this article yesterday.  Great insight as to how hockey players (for Hunters perspective) deal with intimidation. 

Many, professional or not, do not look forward to dealing with an opposing player that can hurt them and take them away from the game they love and/or the lifestyle that they have gotten use to and rely on.  

It still really matters in contact sports.  There are no guarantees.... Whether you're trying to make it to the 'show' like Woo here or Pettersson, trying to stay and learn to stay away from danger areas and players... 

Woo is attempting to be that deterrent... That hybrid 'Scott Stevens'... That throwback.  That sounds good to me. As long as his body can handle the physical demand and not give out before he makes the NHL.... then we will have a very special player and piece to compete for a Stanley Cup!  

Thanks for posting.