The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On 11/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, -AJ- said:

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Still, I think he'll need at least a few points to get NHL consideration.

If Woo plays 15-20 mins. per game and is very good at defense then he will likely get his points the same way other good defensive defense men get them, by having one of his outlet passes every few games turn into a goal and getting a secondary assist, and scoring the odd lucky goal, think Chris Tanev, Erik Cernak and Conner Murphy.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It does not help that Petan is up with Vancouver right now. I think it was expected that he would be the # 1 C in Abby.

P much, Abbotsford could def use him 

Had the same problem in Utica, never enough legit top 6 center's 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:22 AM, -AJ- said:

Tanev is probably the closest example I can think of, but even then, with the Canucks, he scored at an average rate of 19 points per 82 games. If Woo only scores 5-10 points a year in the NHL, his defense would have to be about Tanev-level (elite in his prime, IMO) to justify an NHL job.

To be fair, Tanev played as a solid 2/3 guy in his prime, so maybe Woo could make it on almost no offense as a bottom pairing guy.

The idea behind this though is that just like there isn't room for guys who are only enforcers and can't score anymore in the league, I also don't think there's room for strong stay-at-home defenders who score 8 points a year anymore. You need more offense out of everyone on the team, from enforcers to defensemen, even if that's not at all their primary role.

Zack MacEwen is one of those guys who was cut due to his inability to score points last year.

On the defensive end, guys like Brendan Gaunce and even recently, Olli Juolevi come to mind as guys who had strong NHL-calibre defense, but couldn't provide enough outside of that to justify an NHL job.

I think he could be a future third pair guy.

He skates well enough to keep up to the fast pace NHL.

He is heavy enough and seems to have the willingness to actually throw body checks in an era where most d men are afraid or unwilling to finish guys along the wall let alone dreaming of making a rare open ice hit.

For him I look for him to be a hitting and blocking shots stay at home reliable guy who you pair with a faster offensive minded puck mover.

He can have a career in the mold of Luke Schenn and Erik Gudbranson have.

The key is he doesn't have to fight but he can't lose his edge and compete level.

His hitting potential is what separates him from the rest of the Canucks d prospects.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/14/2021 at 4:21 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is exactly what the Canucks are missing. Good to see.

The Canucks problem is they seem to get one of these types of players and then the player stops playing tough. Maybe that is another thing green screws up. How else do we explain that?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Outsiders said:

How has Woo looked so far in Abby this year? Can anyone provide an update? Where is his game at and does he look quicker (on skates and with puck)

Thanks

He was a healthy scratch last game.

Not sure about circumstances, but at face value that doesn't sound good.

Woo is the second leading Defender on points in Abby.  

he is a second rounder that dropped due to injury in his draft year and this is about the time the prospects that can take the jump separate themselves from others.  

Key position of need, he is forecasted to be a strong and physical stay at home or two way right handed defender.  

I would say he is the best pick at that position since Bieska.  

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 3:28 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Woo is the second leading Defender on points in Abby.  

he is a second rounder that dropped due to injury in his draft year and this is about the time the prospects that can take the jump separate themselves from others.  

Key position of need, he is forecasted to be a strong and physical stay at home or two way right handed defender.  

I would say he is the best pick at that position since Bieska.  

We need Woo to pan out. RHD, and if he's a defensive defenseman, even better, because that's what we really need. A RHD, stay at home, defensive defenseman, with physicality. SIgn me up for that! 

• Vintage 2

On 12/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, Canucks Curse said:

jasek

karlsson

Utunen

Mcdonaugh

Costmar

should all join Abby next year, geeeet'r done

Would be awesome to have all those players in Abby for next season. 

I can see McDonough coming to Abby. I'm not sure the others would come.