The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

How does he compare to Gaudette? Obviously not Hobey Baker winner 3rd year Gaudette, but freshman Madden so far seems more impressive than Freshman Gaudette, obviously with a bigger role.

To add onto what @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said, when Gaudette was a freshman he came in with no expectations. In fact, he played wing for a while before switching back to center and I think this was like the 3rd or 2nd line. By the end of the year he was playing 2C and to start his sophomore year he became a mainstay on 2C and was deployed in all special teams. Madden without a doubt is better than freshman Gaudette, but Gaudette wasn't really given the opportunities Madden has gotten. On the other hand, Gaudette came onto a stacked Northeastern roster while Madden is coming in to fill the void of a once stacked Northeastern roster while he figures out collegiate hockey. 

I would say an understated trait that both Gaudette and Madden both share is adaptability and the ability to thrive under pressure. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

Madden is a better skater then Gaudette early on in their careers which is why I think he'll end up better. Other than that, they are both really similar.

I don't think they will be competing for the same job, as Gaudette will likely become the 2-way 3C and Madden will probably have to play top 6

RW.  Gaudette's skating looked really good last night and he has a larger frame that he will build on.  He will replace Sutter when the time comes.  By the time Madden makes it to the NHL (if he does), Gaudette will have 3 or 4 years under his belt.

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Madden 3C. Wahlstrom 13th forward. Clearly we got the better pick. ;) 

I thought the point would be Madden 3C and wise not there at all.  

Hughes first pair (and listed at Right side!!!!!) while Wahlstrom is 13th forward.  

Isn't that the two we picked and the two we passed over?  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Tyler Madden has made the USA team:

Really happy for Madden! He’s earned his spot and us Canucks fans have more to cheer for now!

I wasn’t a very big Woo fanboy at the draft because I really wanted Jack Drury. Also was a really big fan of Sasha Chmelevski! I remember complaining every round we passed and he fell down all the way to the 6th round. For me in 2017 I had our first 3 picks as Pettersson, Hague and Chmelevski. Sasha went in the 6th round so what do I know lol.

16 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Something something Wise has poor linemates, Madden is being gifted top 6 minutes blah blah blah.

CanucksArmy never admits when they're wrong. Some of their writers are still salty enough about their projection model being wrong about Horvat that they continue to insinuate every now and then that he's overrated. 

It's too bad because they do have some good people there, but their arrogance is too much for me to take them 100% seriously.

They have admitted when they were wrong but good journalism means never having to say "I'm sorry " imo.  If you express an opinion like it is a foregone conclusion and then turn out to be incorrect it is a hit to one's integrity , again, imo. Unfortunately one writer comes out with an article prematurely implying the Madden pick was an error and now CA as a whole get criticized for it. Although, the follow up article trying to put the performance of Madden and Wise in context certainly didn't help.  If Wise was out-producing Madden by a similar margin do you think it would go unnoted ?  Of course not, and I doubt there would be any article trying to provide context to explain Madden's lack of production.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Madden 3C. Wahlstrom 13th forward. Clearly we got the better pick. ;) 

Aaron Asham trumps them all, alphabetically speaking ;)