The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You right but Sutter would fill in that third line center role and that way nuge is freed up and it strengthens there center ice. 

What about Sutter for Nuge and Lucic?  Oilers save big on their cap, and get a proper checking center?  Although I think we gent bent over on this one. 

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Worst part about

taking lucic is he takes a Seattle expansion protected spot 

agree tho and if poolparty is involved maybe theres something but otherwise no thank you 

It’d be nice if one of the sweeteners to taking that extra year of Lucic’s contract (and the very important expansion draft aspect) was that Edmonton would swap their 8th pick for our 10th. We would basically be guaranteed one of the forwards in this draft that many on here covet. 

Very likely at least two of the four of Cozens, Dach, Boldy and Zegras would be there at the 8 spot. Even though Anaheim needs more D prospects, with the decline of almost all of their key power forwards, I don’t see a big body like Cozens, Dach or Boldy getting past them. 

35 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

It’d be nice if one of the sweeteners to taking that extra year of Lucic’s contract (and the very important expansion draft aspect) was that Edmonton would swap their 8th pick for our 10th. We would basically be guaranteed one of the forwards in this draft that many on here covet. 

Very likely at least two of the four of Cozens, Dach, Boldy and Zegras would be there at the 8 spot. Even though Anaheim needs more D prospects, with the decline of almost all of their key power forwards, I don’t see a big body like Cozens, Dach or Boldy getting past them. 

8-10 is negligible this draft imo wouldn’t be worth it at all to take lucic I’d rather have their second rounder or an additional pick. 

Plus poolparty involvement 

it would have to be a really good trade for us to do it. And with Eriksson we can’t really afford $12M in anchors 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

8-10 is negligible this draft imo wouldn’t be worth it at all to take lucic I’d rather have their second rounder or an additional pick. 

Plus poolparty involvement 

it would have to be a really good trade for us to do it. And with Eriksson we can’t really afford $12M in anchors 

Absolutely agree. That’s why I was saying if “one of the sweeteners” was swapping picks and no the only sweetener. So in short, your proposal plus swapping picks.

And i I think it almost goes without saying that Loui would have to be going the other way. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

The rumored trade of Loui, virtanen, 10th for Lucic, Nurse, 8th is too good to be true

the rumored trade of zucker for virtanen and Tanev is not bad. Zucks is clearly the best player in they deal but hurts to lose those guys. Zucker on our 1st line could hit 30 goals 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You right but Sutter would fill in that third line center role and that way nuge is freed up and it strengthens there center ice. 

Yes but they would need to free up cap space. I find it hard to believe that they are interested in a swap for LE. That gives then no cap relief. 

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

The rumored trade of Loui, virtanen, 10th for Lucic, Nurse, 8th is too good to be true

the rumored trade of zucker for virtanen and Tanev is not bad. Zucks is clearly the best player in they deal but hurts to lose those guys. Zucker on our 1st line could hit 30 goals 

It is not a rumoured trade. It was some drunk dude in his basement saying whatever popped into his drunken head at 2 in the morning. As that fat egomaniac that runs the USA would say - #FAKENEWS

Edmonton is not trading Nurse.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

How do you think he got all the cap space?........By being smart. What kind of shape were we in when he got hired? He made one SERIOUS mistake........And nobody was complaining at the time. I know he comes off like being a bit of a bumpkin......Not a verbally slick guy. But he has tremendous hockey sense in my opinion. I’m tired of people beating up on him. I like him and I trust him.

If we put Homerism aside, there are two JBs: one is excellent at draft picks, the other is not so hot with handing out contracts for free agents and making trades. I think that his job is on the line this year; over the past 4 years, I read that we have been the second worst team in the NHL, only Buffalo was below us. The draft and trade deadline are crucial this year. In addition to remaking our D (it basically stayed the same the last two years!), we need a first and second line winger. That’s a tall order for anyone.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What about Sutter for Nuge and Lucic?  Oilers save big on their cap, and get a proper checking center?  Although I think we gent bent over on this one. 

Lol you think we get bent over on that one? Yikes. 

Nugent Hopkins is brutally under rated. Ya lucic's contract sucks but getting a guy as good as Nugent will take more than that..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don’t get this way of thinking:  

“The difference between the 8th overall pick and the 10th overall pick is negligible “. 

We just witnessed a draft two years ago where you could’ve said that any picks after the top two (Patrick and Hischier) are really close to each other.  Picking 5th or 7th won’t make much difference...  yet New York Rangers were trying to snap up Elias. 

Going from 10th to 8th overall would be huge.  Anaheim picks 9th and they have an excellent scouting team. I’d love to skip them and Edmonton. 

27 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don’t get this way of thinking:  

“The difference between the 8th overall pick and the 10th overall pick is negligible “. 

We just witnessed a draft two years ago where you could’ve said that any picks after the top two (Patrick and Hischier) are really close to each other.  Picking 5th or 7th won’t make much difference...  yet New York Rangers were trying to snap up Elias. 

Going from 10th to 8th overall would be huge.  Anaheim picks 9th and they have an excellent scouting team. I’d love to skip them and Edmonton. 

Then it'll be one of the deals dependant on who's available at 8th before pulling the trigger. Benning and crew said there are like 4 or 5 guys they like in our range, so it's unlikely all are gone when 10 comes around.

The question then becomes if it's worth taking on an anchor that has an extra year to the deal than the anchor we have now. Then it should be factored that Edmonton is gaining on the fact that they dump a NMC of a guy who basically is giving them one team to move him to (considering he wants to be out West and close to family). Then there's the other factor that once LE's July 1st payout occurs, his deal will become that much more easily movable in which Edmonton likely flips out at a small cost to free themselves of the anchor altogether.

There is so much for Edmonton to gain. Perhaps we get a better player at 8 than 10, but it is negligible in this case considering what Edmonton (a divisional rival) would gain to what we would take on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Lol you think we get bent over on that one? Yikes. 

Nugent Hopkins is brutally under rated. Ya lucic's contract sucks but getting a guy as good as Nugent will take more than that..

I like Nuge.  He’s improved his play off pucks.  Sutter, though, is the much better shut down center.  

Add to that Lucic’s nasty contract, and the Oilers are going to really sweeten a deal to get rid of Milan.  I don’t know if Nuge for Sutter is enough sweetener?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Nuge.  He’s improved his play off pucks.  Sutter, though, is the much better shut down center.  

Add to that Lucic’s nasty contract, and the Oilers are going to really sweeten a deal to get rid of Milan.  I don’t know if Nuge for Sutter is enough sweetener?  

Sutter is injured 90% of the time and isnt that much better as a shut down center, and can only produce a fraction of the offence that nuge can. I'd totally take on lucic's contract if nuge was coming as well, 3 years is long but we have the money. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Anyone who doesn't think JB is at least 'somewhat' on the hot-seat going into this off-season on the last year of his contract is fooling themselves. 

NO - I'M NOT SAYING he's going to make snap decisions that will ruin the team, but he HAS to be feeling some pressure to produce a playoff series for Aquaman.  And I mean more pressure than he likely already puts on himself to make the playoffs every season like he always says is his goal.  Pressure sometimes forces people to make decisions they wouldn't normally make - and yes, I know sometimes that can be both pos & neg. 

He had a couple 'freebie' seasons there where all he could realistically do is clean-up the mess that he inherited.  Then he had some time to build a group in his own fashion - now, it's time showtime so to speak. 

Billionaire's are not used to having to wait lengthy periods of time to get what they want - Aquaman can't be trusted, just ask Trevor unfortunately.  JB needs to produce.  It's for that reason, and that reason only I have some trepidation going into this off-season. 

For the record, I'm a huge JB supporter and I understood pretty much every move he's made during his tenure here.  But people have said for years this is an important off-season for JB and the franchise - and without adding to the cliche, I really believe this off-season is likely THE MOST important off-season in JB's tenure here.  He's got a core now and his next move(s) will be very, very important to how this core develops and moves forward. 

I believe the last year of his contract is the 20-21 season, so that gives him next season as well to pull things together.  Regardless, I agree he is in the hot seat this offseason, but I don't think it will require huge changes to get the Canucks into the playoffs this coming season (for 1 round - the following season they will be off and running). 

Of course acquiring the necessary changes will have to be through a trade, which isn't easy with the lack of assets; or signing a ufa, which means possible +++$, +++term, restrictive contract.  All the while, keeping the salary cap and the ED in mind. 

He knows he has to improve the right side d for sure and it would be nice to find a player that can take some of the load off Pete (toughness and skill that will create more space).  Not an easy task, but not impossible either.  The right two players could make a huge difference in the outcome of this season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I believe the last year of his contract is the 20-21 season, so that gives him next season as well to pull things together.  Regardless, I agree he is in the hot seat this offseason, but I don't think it will require huge changes to get the Canucks into the playoffs this coming season (for 1 round - the following season they will be off and running). 

Of course acquiring the necessary changes will have to be through a trade, which isn't easy with the lack of assets; or signing a ufa, which means possible +++$, +++term, restrictive contract.  All the while, keeping the salary cap and the ED in mind. 

He knows he has to improve the right side d for sure and it would be nice to find a player that can take some of the load off Pete (toughness and skill that will create more space).  Not an easy task, but not impossible either.  The right two players could make a huge difference in the outcome of this season.

UFA signing EK?

Trade for Lucic (taking sweeteners to do so)?

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Two things I'll just throw out there that fit team needs (for both teams imo) and address two of JB's biggest concerns:

1.  Boeser for Dumba.  One for one hockey-trade if you will.  Immediately addresses our RD issues and gives Minny an immediate replacement for Zucker who they are actively shopping as we all know. 

2.  OJ for Tuch.  One for one hockey-trade again.  OJ is somewhat expendable if Dumba is acquired and Tuch fills an immediate top 6 role - gives JB a huge-bodied, young, 20-30 goal scorer on a cost-certain contract for the next 8 years.  Vegas needs cap relief badly and they could use some more depth in their organization on defence.   

I think both of the aforementioned trades are very realistic in terms of cost to the franchise vs. incoming value and are in no way one of the typical CDC "let us rip you off just because it's good for us and it works in EA sports bs". 

Would hurt to lose OJ and BB but imo this puts us solidly in the mix for a playoff spot next season and beyond and by no means does it gut our franchise of young talent or take on other GM's horrendous mistakes just to get a 'sweetner' thrown in. 

• Upvote 2