The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Woah, this Alexander Holtz, who scored twice? Already played SHL games. 2020 draft eligible.

Tip and a nice shot for his goals...

Sweden has got some gamers in that draft. Raymond and gunler are up there too.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Isam said:

Sweden has got some gamers in that draft. Raymond and gunler are up there too.

Amirov for the Russians who scored todays winner.

He's also killing it for the Russians, 5 goals & 2020 eligible if i'm correct...

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Forsberg

Sundin

Daniel (2010-2012)

Naslund

Franzen

Samuelsson

I meant to type right shot.  Sundin was great.  Samuelson was okay.  Swedes just to produce many right shot guys that a top players.  Alfredson and Sundin.  Yes, they are great, but there aren’t any others.  Oh.  EK is great too.  Again I am wrong. :picard:

• Haha 1

Here is just a random thought as I dove down the road today...….. 

Does it make you wonder why 8 out of the top 10 ranked players are North American

and the 2 teams playing for the gold are European?

Does that make you wonder why?

It does me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Does it make you wonder why 8 out of the top 10 ranked players are North American

It does me!

Yes, it is odd considering the previous two drafts.  I think the USD team is showcasing their player very well.  Makes you wonder how well the individuals will do without their teammates.  Those kids have been playing together for quite a long time, so there's bound to be a lot of chemistry there.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

It does me!

I believe the main reason is exposure. It’s funny because I usually tend to liken the European prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds because of this. 

• Upvote 2

I read a very interesting item on HF Boards

Basically saying the US team is the only team that plays together all year, and have for the most part for the past 3 years...

Interesting thought!

So are does this make them better players always practicing together, always playing together, or is it just because they do play together?

Because the rest of the teams, their players take time to get familiar with each other...…….

What does this mean?

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I read a very interesting item on HF Boards

Basically saying the US team is the only team that plays together all year, and have for the most part for the past 3 years...

Interesting thought!

So are does this make them better players always practicing together, always playing together, or is it just because they do play together?

Because the rest of the teams, their players take time to get familiar with each other...…….

What does this mean?

What it could mean, you stick one of those players with EP, I think those players are gonna get familiar with EP real quick. 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

What it could mean, you stick one of those players with EP, I think those players are gonna get familiar with EP real quick. 

LOL. It could!

I could also mean that there is more talent in Europe, and they are just under scouted......

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

It does me!

Good call... interesting thoughts. 

Think its a mix of sometimes you get lucky and maybe under exposure. 

Think Vegas last year....

• Upvote 1

Not overly shocked that no NA team is in the gold medal game. They are playing on the large ice surface which favours the euro teams. Yes, players from canada and usa have played on that ice surface but not on the regular.

Arthur Kaliyev looks to have good size and had a productive season. Would be intrigued to see us pick him and see how his game translates 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting point! From watching the games, RUS and SWE both have size and very good D. I've really liked Broberg in this tournament. Bjornfot has been really good too. For the Russians, Ilya Nikolaev looks like he'll be good. I did like Podkolzin's game, he's strong on the puck, board battles, has size and a bit of snarl. Heavy shot, but hasn't produced much. I can see Podkolzin dropping and being available at #10, and then Benning going to the podium and drafting someone else. I'm starting to wonder if drafting a forward at #10 is the best way to go, considering the excellent D that's been showcased. If Broberg is there at #10, I hope Benning takes him.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not overly shocked that no NA team is in the gold medal game. They are playing on the large ice surface which favours the euro teams. Yes, players from canada and usa have played on that ice surface but not on the regular.

Arthur Kaliyev looks to have good size and had a productive season. Would be intrigued to see us pick him and see how his game translates 

Well not overly shocked for me because every year during this time Canada will have a few guys still playing in playoff hockey for example bowan Byram isn’t there.