The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] New Canucks President

I am opposed to

anything that results in Benning spending less time as a rink rat scouting for us.  It was always reported that he was out at overseas tournaments etc getting his own eyes on players his scouting staff dug up.

Adding the President role moves him farther away from his skill set I think.

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Brian "effing" Burke???!!! 

GOOD GOD NOOO!!   I would rather rat faced marchand take over. :mellow:

I would rather fire burke out of an Elon Musk cannon headed straight for Mars. Burke is a bigger windbag blowhard idiot than trump.

Burke literally is the Trump of hockey

Probably unpopular selctions because they were former Oilers executives, but Ralph Kruger or Bob Nicholson, could be some good  options.

All likelihood, Jim stays as both President and GM or Weisbord gets promoted to President.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Probably unpopular selctions because they were former Oilers executives, but Ralph Kruger or Bob Nicholson, could be some good  options.

All likelihood, Jim stays as both President and GM or Weisbord gets promoted to President.

Kruger is a pretty smart guy.  Would be an interesting hire for sure.

Sounds like Linden was the one pushing this team more in the direction I would like. Getting young players in the lineup. He was not very involved in the signings - can live with Schaller and Roussel hate the Beagle signing. Collectively hate what Canucks have done with signings, signed too many 4th liners to big money. Most expensive in NHL? Losing hope for this team under Aquilini, and Benning has proven to be terrible at negotiating. Hope we get an experienced President that can stop ownership from meddling, and help Benning get better at signing players. Benning’s strength is scouting at the amateur level, I hope he can focus more on that with a new president taking on more of the asset management duties and re-establish a philosophy more like the shanaplan. 

3 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

My guess is Linden hated we got into bidding wars for fourth line players and way overpaid. Hope Aquilini has to write a big fat check to buy out those signings so he learns his lesson.

Cap space is not an issue and we don't have young players pushing for fourth line spots.

It's not really affecting the rebuild. I seriously doubt that was a reason he left.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Cap space is not an issue and we don't have young players pushing for fourth line spots.

It's not really affecting the rebuild. I seriously doubt that was a reason he left.

Thanks for the sanity.  What 4th line types do we have that can step up in the system?

Archibald?  Gaunce?   We need Sutter to play a more offensive role next season, unless people wanted an overpayment for Bozak or Stastny.  There is no sense in playing the young offensive players on the 4th line and we don't want the Megnas of the world on the team.  Having these guys allows Virtanen to move up and play a bigger role.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Look around the league lots of teams, in fact most teams have young players on fourth line, that hopefully play their way up the lineup. Shut down lines should be your second or third line because of the ice time they get being matched against other teams 1st. Beagle is an offensive black hole, he will suck it out of the entire line. Cap space will be an issue in 3 years when we will have Brock, Elias, Dahlen, Virtanen, Horvat, Goldobin all needing new deals by then and possibly Hughes. If they all play great we’ll be in big cap trouble, especially if Luongo decides to retire 1 year early and we have the cap recapture penalty on the books.

2 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

Look around the league lots of teams, in fact most teams have young players on fourth line, that hopefully play their way up the lineup. Shut down lines should be your second or third line because of the ice time they get being matched against other teams 1st. Beagle is an offensive black hole, he will suck it out of the entire line. Cap space will be an issue in 3 years when we will have Brock, Elias, Dahlen, Virtanen, Horvat, Goldobin all needing new deals by then and possibly Hughes. If they all play great we’ll be in big cap trouble, especially if Luongo decides to retire 1 year early and we have the cap recapture penalty on the books.

Yes, but we don't have any players in the system who are suited for the 4th line. Gaunce has not earned a spot there, neither has Archibald.

As far as cap space being an issue, we have 12 mil in cap space and quite a few big contracts coming off the books in the next few years.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Dean Lombardi did a great job compiling picks - drafted quick, kopitar, doughy but also Dustin brown, Nolan, Trevor Lewis, Alex Martinez, voyonov, toffoli, Pearson, muzzin.

I would like to see someone like Dean Lambardi or Dale Tallon both guys have lots of experience...I just hope the new president will keep Jim Benning on as GM...

Archived