The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green interview on Sportsnet 650 (Sept 11, 2018)

Rush17

29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Edited in after 10 seconds to be fair.....

My mom is tougher mutha..... so it really did not make alot of sense...

BTW - the Canucks lost the 2011 cup because we did not ice a tough enough roster....

dont forget last time we made the playoffs we got ferlanded. I for one am glad we grabbed some grit this off season. I want my team to have some push back its been way to long.

50 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sucks to be stuck in Alberta...  even the cheap moonshine there doesn't make it worth it.....

I would rather be in Alberta than the murder capital of BC...slurrery lol. No offence coed bowling guy haha. What an athlete you are. You are like the Corrado of bowliing, except you are older, don't make any money playing a sport, probably can't spell defense, and would get waived if bowling alleys did that. :)

45 minutes ago, Hockey101 said:

dont forget last time we made the playoffs we got ferlanded. I for one am glad we grabbed some grit this off season. I want my team to have some push back its been way to long.

I too want the team to have some push back and was happy to see JB add Beagle, Roussel and Schaller to the mix. There is a big difference between what I recall an enforcer being and what toughness and grit are. The days of the one dimensional enforcer are for the most part gone. Most teams don't carry a player on the bench whose sole purpose for being there is to go out when summoned and punch it out with another player. Those players usually only got 5 minutes a game and just took up space on the bench the rest of the time. That was OK back in the day but that part of the game  has changed and now teams still want that toughness and push back but they want a player that brings more actual skills to the table. One that can skate, check, kill penalties as well as sticking up for other players on the team.

On 2018-09-11 at 5:02 PM, Rush17 said:

Quotes from Goldobin earlier today.

Not directly related to the interview but Goldobin will be battling for a spot at camp. Really interesting quotes from Goldie. It seems the kids realize it's time to take charge. A positive sign for sure. Let's hope those words equal some on ice action.

I love Goldy, but I’m not quite sure what a leadership role would look like on him? 

Selfie tips for the rooks and throwing a false creek tea party for Pettersson, Juolevi, and Gaudette aboard the SS Kolya?

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Love-tap" Lucic knows enough not to mess with Gudbranson, and he doesn't even play with McDavid.

Heavyweights can protect stars just by addition to the roster......  If you see Lucic on the bench... you are gunna think twice about running McDavid.

If you run McDavid then Lucic may very well tool on any of our guys.... and the Canucks will have no response...   A damaged goods Guddy simply is not up to the task... nor should he be expected to be the only backbone on the club...  Look what happed to DD when the club failed to provide another player to help him with the task.....

DD was a warrior in heart but the job was too much for one guy... especially a middle weight like DD...

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Heavyweights can protect stars just by addition to the roster......  If you see Lucic on the bench... you are gunna think twice about running McDavid.

If you run McDavid then Lucic may very well tool on any of our guys.... and the Canucks will have no response...   A damaged goods Guddy simply is not up to the task... nor should he be expected to be the only backbone on the club...  Look what happed to DD when the club failed to provide another player to help him with the task.....

DD was a warrior in heart but the job was too much for one guy... especially a middle weight like DD...

You just don't get it. And your hard-on for Lucic is showing. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You just don't get it. And your hard-on got Lucic is showing. 

Oh i get it.  I have played hockey all my life...  I get it.

Lucic or any other legitimate Heavy weight would make me happy. 

The trouble is UFA's are older and want 4 years... eg matt martin..

Too much term. 

Our kids will need protection for a bit though as we do not have anyone on the immediate  path.... 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Oh i get it.  I have played hockey all my life...  I get it.

If you got it, you'd realize that Lucic isn't what he once was. If he was, he'd have gone after Gudbranson looking for blood after being leveled to the ice. However he didn't. He skated away. Didn't go after Dorsett who hounded McDavid all game. 

Lucic or any other legitimate Heavy weight would make me happy... Matt Martin would have been useful for the next few years....

Not sure i would want him for 4 years though....

Both players you mention respect what Gudbranson brings, Martin so much so that he said he'd love to have a teammate like him after the game they scrapped. I'm not quite sure you grasp how effective Guddy can be fully healthy. 

Our kids will need protection for a bit though as we do not have anyone on the immediate  path.... 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I love Goldy, but I’m not quite sure what a leadership role would look like on him? 

Selfie tips for the rooks and throwing a false creek tea party for Pettersson, Juolevi, and Gaudette aboard the SS Kolya?

That clip was world class annoying . 

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If you're only looking at the forward corps, there is no Lucic (in his prime) type of player that would stave off such attacks, I agree. However, when looking at the entire roster, Erik Gudbranson is a very legitimate physical threat to the opposing team whenever he's on the ice.

Take a look at last year's games to understand how other players view him. In the first game of the regular season against Edmonton, Gudbranson leveled Lucic, and Milan gave Guddy nothing more than a half-assed slashtap to the shin that amounted to nothing.

He manhandled Tom Wilson, who attacked him, and provided more than enough crease-clearing and teammate protecting moments last season to prove his worth from that perspective.

If Guddy stays healthy, I have every belief that he'll be a dominant physical force that will help usher in a new and more aggressive era of Canucks hockey.

he also KO'ed Martin. 

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Lucic won’t touch anyone with Guddy on the bench. 

Lucic played like Lady Byng award winner with Guddy on the ice last year. 

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He looks like he has been working out. That is quite a build he has, I didn't think he was as strong as that last season. Still stated to be 185lbs. Lovely surroundings, where is that?

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Before everyone writes off Granlund, they should remember he has an older brother named Mikael who broke out in his 4th year in the league at age 25 with 26 goals and 69 pts.  Marcus is now 25... At age 24 Mikael scored 13 goals... Marcus has already shown when given an opportunity he can do better than that with his total of 19 two years ago.

At the very least, people should wait till training camp and the first couple weeks of the season are over before making a judgement... at the very least he should be worth something as trade bait.

You're probably just relying on stats to base your opinion, but if you've watched both of them play, trust me, Mikael is a hell of a lot better than Marcus even before his breakout year

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

He looks like he has been working out. That is quite a build he has, I didn't think he was as strong as that last season. Still stated to be 185lbs. Lovely surroundings, where is that?

Yeah, he actually looks like he’s worked really hard this summer. He’s just a unique kid and instead of doing the usual thing where NHL players post “evidence” of how hard they’re training, Goldy just posts about how much fun he’s having. It rubs some people the wrong way. Personally, I enjoy his social media content. Kid is a real character.

Pretty sure that vid is from Saint Petersburg.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:56 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I can't see Green putting Petterson out against players who might try something with him without ensuring that he's protected. Having Edler - Gudbranson as a pairing out with whatever line that Petterson's on should help protect Elias. I have a feeling that Gudbranson is going to be a force this season, taking his role as protector very seriously, and any players who try funny stuff with Petterson, Boeser, or other skilled players are going to regret it.

I think Pettersson, FWIW, will be more than fine?

May not, probably won't, play centre...

Green said, IF he's strong enough to defend down low, in our defensive zone??? That's the only question. Against the bigger stronger guys, in closer quarters...

A superb athlete, also with great endurance, agility. Agility less important at this moment, but does help avoid hits. If people don't think he has strength, watch his slapshot. Which takes huge core strength, balance & extension from a powerful lower body. He may not be big enough to push Getzlaf out of the way, play pivot? But I believe he is considerably stronger, also fitter than guys like RNH & McDavid were as rookies.  Which was what lead to their wearing down.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think Pettersson, FWIW, will be more than fine?

May not, probably won't, play centre...

Green said, IF he's strong enough to defend down low, in our defensive zone??? That's the only question. Against the bigger stronger guys, in closer quarters...

A superb athlete, also with great endurance, agility. Agility less important at this moment, but does help avoid hits. If people don't think he has strength, watch his slapshot. Which takes huge core strength, balance & extension from a powerful lower body. He may not be big enough to push Getzlaf out of the way, play pivot? But I believe he is considerably stronger, also fitter than guys like RNH & McDavid were as rookies.  Which was what lead to their wearing down.

I fully believe that Petterson is going to be fine. For me, it's a just in case idea should a player take liberties with him.

I think he's making the team out of camp, and will make the team better in doing so.

58 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

But I believe he is considerably stronger, also fitter than guys like RNH & McDavid were as rookies.  Which was what lead to their wearing down.

They also were expected to come in and play 1st line against top opposition/shut down match ups.

EP will have Bo and Boes ahead of him and Sutter/Beagle doing heavy lifting on the two 'defensive' lines with likely sheltered 'Sedin' usage.

Archived