The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Erik Karlsson, Francis Perron to Sharks for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, conditional 2020 1st-round pick, conditional 2019 2nd-round pick

Dorion takes a quantity deal......that would get him fired in most fantasy leagues....

Tierney is a good middle six center.

Norris is a good B+ prospect.  Balcers a good prospect.

And a couple late in the round picks....

DeMelo is a throw in.

But where is the principal in this deal?   That is the problem.  And principally forwards/forward prospects....Ugly.

For a 'haul' like this they should at least have been able to move Ryan's contract.

Oh well - can't say I have much feeling for the Ottawa Senators.   Melnyk is a tool.   Dorion is incompetent.  Just what Melnyk deserves imo.

25 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I honestly think that's a pretty good haul for Ottawa, it includes a couple average players, a top prospect, a good prospect, a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and 2 conditional picks that could end up in another 2 1st round picks.

Probably could have got more talent but to get that many picks along with some prospects is pretty good.

Except most likely all they get out of the conditional picks is a single 2nd round pick..

Considering they gave up more to acquire duchene than they got in return for training the leagues best D. They got completely hosed. 

You would think if you traded away karlsson, turris, Hoffman, bowers and a top 5 pick you’d have a lot more to show for it than just duchene, tierney, Norris bodker, and some late first round picks.

To make matters worse. I can’t see any reason there is for duchene to resign. Sad day to be a sens fan. Best thing they can do is not buy tickets this year and force that terrible owner to sell off the team. 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We'll be thankful in the long run that we didn't trade guys like DiPietro and Lind, and definitely not our first round pick.

Karlsson isn't making us a contender next season and there's no guarantee he'd re-sign with any team he was traded to.

That would be alot to pay for one season of Karlsson possibly making us a bubble team.

My point was that we could have gotten Karlsson without jeopardizing our future to the tune of our TOP prospects.

That said, in my mind it would have been with an assumption of re-signing. Without that piece it definitely would have sucked. So fair point.

The Senators' spin on the trade: 

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators today announced the most significant trade in their rebuild of Canada's national capital franchise.

This decision sets the team up for a promising future, building toward the creation of a younger, faster and stronger roster overall - characterized by a commitment to leadership, character and chemistry. Delivering two blue-chip prospects (including the 19th overall selection in the 2017 NHL draft), two current NHL roster players, one first round draft pick and one second-round pick (as well as two additional conditional draft picks), in exchange for Erik Karlsson and an AHL player - this deal leverages earlier decisions in the rebuild to deliver the largest pipeline of potential Ottawa has had in its system in the past 15 years.

While looking to the future with excitement and optimism, the franchise does wish to thank Erik Karlsson for his nine years of service.

"Erik is an exceptional hockey player whose skills delighted our fans for the past nine years," said general manager Pierre Dorion. "We thank him for his dedication to hockey, and we wish him all the best."

"This is the right moment for us to rebuild our team, and shape our future with a faster, younger and more competitive team on the ice," Dorion added. "We are going to build a culture of consistency which will allow this team to sustain better performance over the long term."

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sort of reminds me of the return we got for Kesler.

Sens are dumpster-diving for the cap-floor. Are Stone or Duchene long for that place?

I'll take Stone for Goldobin and a 3rd. Seems to be the going rate in Ottawa.

Duchene for a 4th and I'll be generous and throw in Gaunce.

3 minutes ago, nzan said:

My point was that we could have gotten Karlsson without jeopardizing our future to the tune of our TOP prospects.

That said, in my mind it would have been with an assumption of re-signing. Without that piece it definitely would have sucked. So fair point.

Yea, we definitely could of matched that offer no doubt. That is if Karlsson was willing to come here.

DiPietro and Lind may not be considered our top prospects, but they could very well be important pieces to this teams future. Both seem to have the edge and the drive that it takes to make the next level. I don't think this is the time to be sacrificing depth in our prospect pool, even if it would be exciting to see Karlsson here.

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The conditions sure do say that he's not signing an extension yet, which is intriguing. They get a 2nd round pick if he re-signs (with more conditions) and a 1st if he lands in a Eastern conference team. Maybe Karlsson will indeed go to Tampa next year as a UFA.

OTT doesn't get that 1st if Karlsson heads East as a UFA though.

I am scared to go look at how badly Ottawa fans are taking this.

On HFboards a couple weeks ago they were saying they would probably turn down Hughes, a 1st round pick, and Boeser.  They would have felt sick if Juolevi was a key part of the return.

No pieces of the actual return equal Juolevi.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

So that release says a first is in the deal guaranteed. That's why I lean towards a good deal for the Sens. Yet many on here are saying no first is involved. Which is it?

They get a 1st in 2020 with the possibility of receiving another 1st if either the Sharks make the finals this season, or Karlsson is traded to the East.

So basically it could potentially become two 1sts. Eaither way they're going to be late round 1sts though.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea, we definitely could of matched that offer no doubt. That is if Karlsson was willing to come here.

DiPietro and Lind may not be considered our top prospects, but they could very well be important pieces to this teams future. Both seem to have the edge and the drive that it takes to make the next level. I don't think this is the time to be sacrificing depth in our prospect pool, even if it would be exciting to see Karlsson here.

Could have - ha.

Fair enough, one year of Karlsson at this point in our timeframe doesn't make sense; I'd been thinking of the deal in terms of numerous years.

Archived