The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Erik Karlsson, Francis Perron to Sharks for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, conditional 2020 1st-round pick, conditional 2019 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So it's going to be more difficult for the best Dman in the NHL and 2 time Norris winner to adapt to the Western Conference than a young kid who's never played an NHL game?

OK....

Where did I say that?

Nice stretching though. Do you do yoga?

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Where did I say that?

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's different when you play most of your career in one conference. He's going to have to adapt.

YOu are claiming EK might have difficult time in WC because he's small..... What does that do for Canucks and Hughes?

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Where did I say that?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We'll see how Karlsson holds up going against the likes of LA, Vegas, Anaheim, Nashville, St.Louis, and Winnipeg.

The West is a grind with all the travel, not to mention the bigger/tougher opponents. Definitely not as much of a cake walk in the West as it would have been if he went to say Tampa.

I got to admit the HFBOARDS Sens forum (the EK thread, starting about page 8) is mighty entertaining right now.  The timeline of the thread is captivating..early this morning they were conjuring up all sorts of trades, a little later when the rumour of the trade broke they were speculating which star SJ players they would get, and even those guys were not good enough, when the actual players were announced it was like flushing a toilet in a third world country train station...lol...

This is Dany Heatley all over again. They're called the Sharks for a reason, Sens fans. Stop trading with em!!! 

I think Karlsson would have agreed to come here, but couldn't give a yes on a contract extension immediately. This team has promise and a Swedish flavour to it alot of the time, so I could have seen it happening. That being said, it would have been too big of a gamble on a maybe with one of our prospects. Even Juolevi or Demko (who were my MAYBES if they would get the deal done) would have been extremely iffy on no immediate extension. Not even sure he'll sign with the Sharks yet!!!

Well it seems like the winners are:

- Strickland who said Karlsson wouldn’t sign with a Canadian team.  If he was really willing to sign, it is 100% certain that Vancouver and Edmonton could have beaten the San Jose offer by a mile.  It seems pretty sure that with all the recourse of us kicking tires, Benning looked into it and found out pretty quickly that the Karlsson camp wasn’t willing to extend with us.  That would be when he issued the strong denial about us inquiring.

-  Tampa Bay.  Unless we hear about an extension very soon, it seems like the persistent rumors that the only team he was willing to extend with was TB.  It is possible he falls in love with San Jose... but the return and the fact he didn’t as part of the deal is pretty telling about his current thinking.

- Colorado because they are going to have a great shot at a top pick next year.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Is the only condition that if Karlsson re-signs they get the added 2021 2nd rounder? Calling the 2020 1st and 2019 2nd round picks conditional makes me believe there are other conditions.

They have 2 guaranteed picks:

• Conditional 2020 1st - they for sure get a 1st round pick but it could be in 2019 if the Sharks miss the playoffs this season.  If they make the playoffs it's the 1st in 2020.

• Conditional 2019 2nd - SJS has their own 2nd round pick and also the 2nd from Florida.  Ottawa gets the highest of the two.

Then there is the potential to get another pick

• If Karlsson re-signs they get a 2nd round pick in 2021.  It can become a 1st round pick in 2021 if the Sharks make the finals this season.

• If the Sharks trade Karlsson to a team in the East this season - Ottawa gets a 1st round pick at SJS choice but no later than 2022.

This trade actually helps Vancouver down the road as the Sharks window is now defined and that is a lot of picks/prospects to give (potentially a LOT) and so when the Canucks elite youth are in the 22-26 range, the Sharks will be on their decline without a lot of top picks too.   The Shark's having this window doesn't hurt Vancouver now either - their cycles are so different in terms of where they are at.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Best thing for Sens fans now is to hope the team gets sold.

They're not getting anywhere with Melnyk as the owner. I'm still not convinced he isn't trying to run that team into the ground so that a move to another market is much easier to make.

I think I have seen that in other pro sports...

ml.jpg

Archived