The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

22 hours ago, Davathor said:

Lol. 

Everyone else saw it, Sam. Banning should take a lot of the blame though- his FA contracts are effing terrible. Eriksson and Gagner signings would have a lot of GMs worries about their jobs, instead he signs Schaller Beagle and an injured Roussel

You strike me as the kind of person who would still complain if all of our players were playing like Gretzky.

Roussel wasn't even injured when we sign him but, you know, another reason to complain right? No hockey knowledge is needed to complain so it's easy to do. Just go to a forum and write dribble. Who needs respect when you can be anonymous!

16 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

says the guy who thinks salaries of guys on one-way deals factor into them being waived..

13 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

who needs hand holding now :lol:

you spent half this thread comparing gagnes point production to shallers and it wasnt until this post you realized they have almost polar opposite roles in the league?

You have been playing NHL19 haven't you... lol  :picard:

And now you are just making stuff up... lol

17 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

You have been playing NHL19 haven't you... lol  :picard:

And now you are just making stuff up... lol

what does NHL19 have to do with one way contracts and waivers? all that face-palming must be affecting your head..

and sorry im not here to compare shaller to gagne.. you're welcome to your opinion if you think those two have similar roles in the league. but as far as waivers and salaries go... its just a fact that that is a non factor for a guy on a one-way contract 

45 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Would have loved to see this a page or 2 ago... Thanks. :goat:

I agree with most of your post. But we need a direction. With Linden gone. What is our stance now?

Same as 2014, we're rebuilding.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wrong. Boston loved the guy, and were very upset to see him go. He had 16 goals with them and according to some in the organization, made up one of the better fourth lines in the league.

Yeah....no.

Schaller asked Gudbranson to go because Gudbranson had just flattened Frank Vatrano against the boards. Vatrano kept his head down and altered his positioning so that as Gudbranson approached he got him in the numbers.

Schaller stood up for Vatrano like a good teammate and took on Gudbranson, who seemed somewhat upset that he had injured Vatrano. Albeit Vatrano returned later on that game.

So no, Schaller is a very good depth signing.

How dare you bring logic into this. :lol:

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Why save money... When you can make money with a winning team LOL 

You are the clueless one here...

So what’s your solution? Buy a team through free agency? Free agents are very expensive. You yourself don’t like the off seasons signings which are relatively cheap. Would you have preferred Tavares? Because I’m certain he would’ve asked for substantially more than he got from Toronto, so where does that leave us for space when Boeser, Pettersson, Quinn, etc need big raises?

Jeez you’re daft. 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wrong. Boston loved the guy, and were very upset to see him go. He had 16 goals with them and according to some in the organization, made up one of the better fourth lines in the league.

Yeah....no.

Schaller asked Gudbranson to go because Gudbranson had just flattened Frank Vatrano against the boards. Vatrano kept his head down and altered his positioning so that as Gudbranson approached he got him in the numbers.

Schaller stood up for Vatrano like a good teammate and took on Gudbranson, who seemed somewhat upset that he had injured Vatrano. Albeit Vatrano returned later on that game.

So no, Schaller is a very good depth signing.

Can confirm this, my buddy is a huge Boston fan and follows them as closely as I follow the Canucks. He was sad to see the guy go and said we got a great pickup in Schaller based on what he saw last year. 

On 10/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, brownky said:

But, But remember that 8 point game???Anyone??

I do and that was insane!

I couldn't believe it at the time even and thought perhaps he had arrived to stay.

Then that season, even with matching the 8 point Gretzsky Oiler record on one night, he finishes with 38 points! 

I was choked when we first signed him and am very glad he is waived. 

Sam Gagner is a severe plug and has no business on the Vancouver Canucks, much like his Dad before him.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:44 PM, oldnews said:

Funny thing is that a lot of us saw it coming.....so, maybe Sam shouldn't have been looking backwards in time.

...had a few defending him and also JB for signing him too.

tbh, it doesn't matter how hard he works, he has no hockey sense...similar to a Russ Courtnall, who was fast but had no hockey sense.

Having no hockey sense and working hard doesn't amount to much....and he wasn't working hard.

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

tbh, it doesn't matter how hard he works, he has no hockey sense...similar to a Russ Courtnall, who was fast but had no hockey sense.

Having no hockey sense and working hard doesn't amount to much....and he wasn't working hard.

I'm sorry but no player can have 7 40+ point seasons with no hockey sense. 

That said Gagner did not even come close to earning a roster spot this season. You gotta earn a roster spot through current play not based on the success of 2 seasons ago. 

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Only very dumb players would ask Guddy to go.....  Basically putting your career on the line... 

Guddy has serious TKO power. 

Regardless at 28 yrs old next month....  Schaller is basically AHL plug....  

An AHL plug that had 22 points last year in a 4th line roll. Start sending your NHL management resume today!!!

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I have no problem with Sam being waived but I do take exception to you saying that Sam and Russ had no hockey sense! Making a statement like that says way more about you as a person than it says about them.

They both played for years in the NHL and were, at times, significant players for their teams.

How many NHL games have you played or coached that gives you the right to make a comment like that??

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Not going to lie, I believe I defended the signing as well. Made sense as a stop gap for the Sedins departure and he was coming off of a great year. Unfortunate that he didn’t repeat. 

Archived