The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sam-gagner-canucks-cut-didnt-see-coming/

Start of the article:

TORONTO – When you sign a three-year, $9.45-million NHL contract one season, the last place you imagine starting the next is living at your parents’ house, three time zones away, and skating for some other franchise’s farm team.

Yet here Sam Gagner is.

Property of the Vancouver Canucks through 2019-20, Gagner is leading the Toronto Marlies in goals (three), points (five) and shots (11) after riding the buses for three games in three cities over a whirlwind four days and trying to wrap his brain around why Vancouver no longer wants him.

“I was shocked,” Gagner told Sportsnet after Tuesday’s practice.

“I didn’t expect it. I didn’t see it coming. I felt like I had a good enough camp and I’d shown enough in my 11 years that I was able to make the team.”

My opinion on the key line there:

"...I felt like I had a good enough camp and I’d shown enough in my 11 years that I was able to make the team.”

He showed in the preseason that he was coasting on being a vet. His contract, having a sure spot.

"In turn, the Leafs expect Gagner’s work habits, drive and professionalism to serve as the model for their forward prospects. "

So we can expect more leaf young'uns to do more skate-bys and have deficient defensive coverage. He'll fit right in.

This was a particularly stupid paragraph:

In addition to Gagner, Patrick Wiercioch, Alex Burmistrov and Thomas Vanek are gone. Goaltender Anders Nilsson has yet to see action this season, and defenceman Michael Del Zotto is being healthy-scratched Tuesday.

Yes, I wonder where all those guys on 1 year contracts went and why Nilsson hasn't played in the oh-so-large sample size of 3games. 

He's at the prime of his career, he should be a very effective player regardless of status or what linemates he has.  On a very crappy Canucks team, he should have been one of the points leader.  Instead, he stagnated since bursting out in his early Oilers days.... then got a revival under Torts.  

If he wants back in... he's gotta put 110% into every shift, balls to the walls, dive in front of shots and do whatever to help the team win.  

So now for Sam, it's either you're wrong, you're not good enough for the NHL... or you're gonna prove them wrong and you're a legit NHLer on any team.  

He can stay buried in the minors wondering why he is there all he wants. I agree he was just coasting on the team its not about proving that you deserve to be there just because your a vet these days. In todays NHL a lot of Vets are getting bought out for not putting everything you can into the team.

6 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Lol. 

Everyone else saw it, Sam. Banning should take a lot of the blame though- his FA contracts are effing terrible. Eriksson and Gagner signings would have a lot of GMs worries about their jobs, instead he signs Schaller Beagle and an injured Roussel

Eriksson, Beagle, and Schaller are all playing well this season though.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sam-gagner-canucks-cut-didnt-see-coming/

Start of the article:

My opinion on the key line there:

"...I felt like I had a good enough camp and I’d shown enough in my 11 years that I was able to make the team.”

He showed in the preseason that he was coasting on being a vet. His contract, having a sure spot.

"In turn, the Leafs expect Gagner’s work habits, drive and professionalism to serve as the model for their forward prospects. "

So we can expect more leaf young'uns to do more skate-bys and have deficient defensive coverage. He'll fit right in.

what?

he gets the ride the bus??

what's wrong with his bicycle ?

after 11 years if you can't make the team

you ride the bike instead of the bus in the minors  

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Funny thing is that a lot of us saw it coming.....so, maybe Sam shouldn't have been looking backwards in time.

Man, talk about oblivious.  Benning said very publicly last summer that they were willing to move out a vet if a young player outplayed them and could take their spot. 

Gagner should've known right after Benning's statement that he was one of those vets whose spots were on the line.

Archived