The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

To be honest he doesn't deserve to be cut. Putting aside all the scapegoating hate this board throws at him, he actually had a decent season last year and a decent pre-season. The problem is just that Benning is a greedy person and likes to have A LOT of depth. With this many grinder/vets signed (Beagle, Roussel, Schaller), young players pushing for spots, and Motte playing exceptionally well, deserving of a spot. On paper, the only players Gagner can challenge for a position are Schaller, Motte, Granlund and Leipsic. 

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hold on...

We loaned him to the Marlies because JB didn't even want him in Utica. 

The losers in Toronto failed to spell that out for us, but I see through their crap.

Shoulda seen it coming, Sam.

No, because we're pretty much at our limit in terms of having veterans down in Utica. AHL allows 5 vets to be in a lineup on any given night and if Gagner was sent there, the article clearly stated that he'd be victim to multiple nights of healthy scratches. Gagner could be on the roster but he'd have to fight his way onto the lineup and with his cut, that probably wouldn't have happened. Therefore, Gagner is now "gifted" a spot with the Marlies

Of the vets we have down in Utica, we have Reid Boucher, Darren Archibald, Wacey Hamilton, Jaime Sifers, and Carter Bancks as our vets. Gaunce is designated as a veteran exempt player.

1 hour ago, mpt said:

Probably only if a bad contract comes back our way or salary retention.  Next year would make more sense for a lot of teams.

I wasn't thinking about a "bad contract" coming back unless the Canucks were getting some kind of decent return, which makes it a whole different type of trade from what I'm talking about. I was considering Gagner (with some salary retention) for a 3rd or lower pick and/or a prospect from a team that wanted some depth for the playoffs or had a problem due to injuries.

Doing this type of trade does make more sense to another team for next year, when Gagner is on the last year of his current deal. This being said, if they are in need of center help with (the potential for) scoring this season, then Gagner could be a decent risk. Perhaps he helps his new team go somewhere in the playoffs, and depending on how he does in next year's training camp, he could find himself on an NHL roster, or once again being waived, and maybe picked up or traded.

regards,  G.

23 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

No, because we're pretty much at our limit in terms of having veterans down in Utica. AHL allows 5 vets to be in a lineup on any given night and if Gagner was sent there, the article clearly stated that he'd be victim to multiple nights of healthy scratches. Gagner could be on the roster but he'd have to fight his way onto the lineup and with his cut, that probably wouldn't have happened. Therefore, Gagner is now "gifted" a spot with the Marlies

Of the vets we have down in Utica, we have Reid Boucher, Darren Archibald, Wacey Hamilton, Jaime Sifers, and Carter Bancks as our vets. Gaunce is designated as a veteran exempt player.

Exactly. We kept all of those guys instead of having to make room for Gagner.

That's how I'm looking at it. Now shhhhhh

He didn’t play his way onto the team.

In his defence, he was one of many vets who were awful in the pre-season, and they made the team.  You could have as easily sent Granlund down and given Gagner a chance at a top six role at some point.

He is getting well paid, he couldn’t stay on one of the worst rosters in the league, and no other teams wanted him during waivers (at least at that price tag)... so he had better turn that introspection inwards.

Heard more about Gagner after being cut than I heard about him all of last season. You were bad and you should feel bad. I am really glad he is around Toronto's kids. They deserve each other. Entitled guy that thinks he deserves a roster spot and the center of the universe that thinks everything they do is picture perfect. 

1 hour ago, jmfaminoff said:

He had to pass waivers too. Seems like a lot of other teams passed on him too.

They shopped him around too, so teams had two chances to pick this guy up and all 30 teams felt the same way as the Canucks. Yet only the Canucks are the bad guys cause they didn't waive/send down a kid so a entitled vet could have a spot.

"TORONTO – When you sign a three-year, $9.45-million NHL contract one season, the last place you imagine starting the next is living at your parents’ house, three time zones away, and skating for some other franchise’s farm team"

EXACTLY!!! You're making 9.45M$ and you made like probably 20M$ before that...why would you go live with your parents...jeez, rent a hotel, a condo or house...i think you can afford it.

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hold on...

We loaned him to the Marlies because JB didn't even want him in Utica. 

The losers in Toronto failed to spell that out for us, but I see through their crap.

Shoulda seen it coming, Sam.

No when Benning cut Sam he asked if he could be loaned to a team with a direct flight to that city so his wife/kids could come and see him throughout the year.  Theres only a handful of AHL teams that would have direct flights to their city and Toronto was one of the few.  And the fact he can be close to his parents for when his family came out makes complete sense for him to go there and with Torontos young roster he would end up with more games with the veteran limit.

Screw Sam Gagner. What a whiner. Good riddance you entitled hack. Benning went out of his way to help this chucklehead and he thanks him by whining to some two bit reporter about his struggles with being cut from a rebuilding team, that he hadn't done enough to earn a spot with.

The first thing I thought of, and what nearly everyone in this thread already mentioned, is how entitled you must be to think that because you had a long NHL career, that counts for making the current roster. Normally vets like Gagner do get a pass in preseason, but Benning made it very clear that this preseason mattered for vets too. 

On a personal, family, and pride level I feel for the guy. On a hockey level I dont. He was warned by JB in the summer, as were all the vets, that this could happen. He simply failed to find role and was out played by the youngsters. Tough pill to swallow but this is the new NHL. 

2 hours ago, Russ said:

No when Benning cut Sam he asked if he could be loaned to a team with a direct flight to that city so his wife/kids could come and see him throughout the year.  Theres only a handful of AHL teams that would have direct flights to their city and Toronto was one of the few.  And the fact he can be close to his parents for when his family came out makes complete sense for him to go there and with Torontos young roster he would end up with more games with the veteran limit.

It's a nice cover story

Archived