The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

4 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Man, talk about oblivious.  Benning said very publicly last summer that they were willing to move out a vet if a young player outplayed them and could take their spot. 

Gagner should've known right after Benning's statement that he was one of those vets whose spots were on the line.

I guess his agent also failed to give him the memo that no team claimed him - in other words no one seems to share his perspective regarding his previous 11 years.  Unfortunately, that's not how it works.   If the Leafs love  him so much though, they're entirely free to put their money where their mouth is.

Get in line after Grabner (waived by the worst team in the league previously), Hodgson (dumped expensive contract due to being a prima donna... and having a dad who was one), Yakupov (1st overall pick back to Europe due to game not translating to two-way game)... etc.

Just cuz you're a 6th overall pick with an 8-point game in your past doesn't mean that you will be gift-wrapped a spot.   

A couple of times over the summer in interviews, Benning said that he was willing to waive veterans if they were out competed.  But it's also how he said it which was emphatically.  

Benning also has been repeating that he'll make room for young players if they earn it.

I guess Sammy-boy wasn't listening because the clues were there.

now he knows how a lot of fans felt when we signed him.  his role was to add goals and he didn't last year except at the end with the Sedins.   doesn't bring points so what else does he offer?   the irony is that he did have a better camp than most.  but stuff like this he should just stay out of the media and say I wasn't good enough and i need to be better.  

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Funny thing is that a lot of us saw it coming.....so, maybe Sam shouldn't have been looking backwards in time.

I don't mean to brag but I feel the need to. From the Gagner thread-

On 9/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, luckylager said:

Can we waive this guy already?

Please?

1 hour ago, mpt said:

With all the time he got this preseason he accomplished nothing.  No one else in the league wanted him either.  A call up is always possible

That, or perhaps some other team, due to injury etc develops a need which Gagner could fill. Since he has cleared waivers he might be an attractive option, and with his play in the AHL Gagner could convince another team to take a chance on him... for the right (probably low) price.

regards,  G.

41 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

That, or perhaps some other team, due to injury etc develops a need which Gagner could fill. Since he has cleared waivers he might be an attractive option, and with his play in the AHL Gagner could convince another team to take a chance on him... for the right (probably low) price.

regards,  G.

Probably only if a bad contract comes back our way or salary retention.  Next year would make more sense for a lot of teams.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Played well tonight in his first game.  Fourth line looked good.

I haven't seen him play much.  He looks better than Gaunce so that's a plus in my books, but he also looks slow.  If it is between Schaller and Motte then I choose Motte.  I hope its just him being a little off since this is a new team in a new city.  I am not jumping the gun here, but Motte does look awesome especially on the PK.

Archived