The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

...had a few defending him and also JB for signing him too.

tbh, it doesn't matter how hard he works, he has no hockey sense...similar to a Russ Courtnall, who was fast but had no hockey sense.

Having no hockey sense and working hard doesn't amount to much....and he wasn't working hard.

I don't agree.   First I think the signing was reasonable enough - although I was never particularly keen on it.  Mere placeholder.

But a lot has changed with the Canucks since July 2017 - Pettersson emerging quickly, Gaudette breaking out, Goldobin's game growing up, deadline acquisitions of Leipsic, Motte, Dahlen approaching readiness, Jasek breaking out....the writing was on the wall that the top 6 is a place for skilled youth and no longer placeholders like Gagner.

Gagner has hockey sense - he's simply not consistent - but most importantly, he's simply not a very good fit at this point.

The team did what they needed to do.  They went out and signed placeholders that fit much better - harder to play against, solid defensive veterans that complement the youth better.

Whether or not Gagner worked hard, he's not really a bottom six type (not particularly gritty, not a very good faceoff guy, not really a shutdown forward  - unless you're talking about a contending bottom six where he provides secondary scoring (as he did with the CBJ).   Things changed and he was the clear guy that fit the least.

Beagle, Roussel, Schaller - all better fits than Gagner - and none of them occupy spaces that ought to be held by skilled young forwards.  That is the rub here.  The Canucks wanted to retain their skilled youth - and Gagner had to go.  No need to sandbag him as if he never had hockey sense or his work ethic was poor.  I'm not sure hard work could have saved him tbh, but his comments don't really indicate that he was realistic about the context he was in.

20 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

You don't know what he's done with his career earnings and how much he has saved. Just because he's made that much doesn't mean he has that much or more than enough in his bank.

sorry, but this is small fiddle material.  

for those of us in the real world, who aren't compensated 6+ million for two years (Gagner can't make the roster) and who manage with real world incomes - I have little sympathy. 

I imagine the Gagners will be ok financially.  Any player that pulls in over a decade of NHL income, and has two years at over 6 million remaining - with the writing on the wall that he may not make an NHL roster - it's entirely on them to be responsible enough with that huge chunk of money.  No excuses, no sympathy here.

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

sorry, but this is small fiddle material.  

for those of us in the real world, who aren't compensated 6+ million for two years (Gagner can't make the roster) and who manage with real world incomes - I have little sympathy. 

I imagine the Gagners will be ok financially.  Any player that pulls in over a decade of NHL income, and has two years at over 6 million remaining - with the writing on the wall that he may not make an NHL roster - it's entirely on them to be responsible enough with that huge chunk of money.  No excuses, no sympathy here.

his finances are his business, who gives a $%# if he saved or not?

On the plus side, he's the Marlies goal and points leader. C'mon Kyle, its low lying fruit buddy, pick it up. 

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& last yr..what a play-killing, uninspiring lump! You'd think he'd have the decency to exit stage-left, with his suitcase crammed of ill-gotten gains.

But of COURSE he'll find a receptive audience for this drivel out east; offering them a chance to slag Canucks, whilst portraying the Mordor Leafers as compassionate, employ-opportunity enthusiasts.

This league/lackey media is wearing me down.

Was thinking the same. Literally anything eastern media can get their hands on to make the western teams and us in particular look like bad, and it’s disgusting. 

It’s become hard to watch sports highlights at the end of any given night as the Leafs are continuously shoved down our throats. I get that they’re finally a team on the ups but for the love of god can we get some unbiased national sports coverage?

21 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have no problem with Sam being waived but I do take exception to you saying that Sam and Russ had no hockey sense! Making a statement like that says way more about you as a person than it says about them.

They both played for years in the NHL and were, at times, significant players for their teams.

How many NHL games have you played or coached that gives you the right to make a comment like that??

What I saw with him playing for the Canucks...he had no hockey sense....

by the way, It doesn't matter if you play in the NHL or AAA....successful hockey is played the same at all levels...I've coached enough to know what it takes to be successful.

You saying that you have to play and coach in the NHL to know hockey just shows your ignorance

56 minutes ago, Pete M said:

What I saw with him playing for the Canucks...he had no hockey sense....

by the way, It doesn't matter if you play in the NHL or AAA....successful hockey is played the same at all levels...I've coached enough to know what it takes to be successful.

You saying that you have to play and coach in the NHL to know hockey just shows your ignorance

Like a few Cup Winning coaches we know of in Hitch and Hartley even. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

You and 189lb enforcers implying that Sam Gagner and Russ Courtnall had no hockey sense is just a ludicrous statement to make!

Sam Gagner.......770 Games......152 Goals ..... 281 Assists..... 433 Points

Russ Courtnall... 1029 Games....297 Goals......447 Assists..... 744 Points

Amazing how two hockey players with no hockey sense can have such lengthy careers in the NHL.

40 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You and 189lb enforcers implying that Sam Gagner and Russ Courtnall had no hockey sense is just a ludicrous statement to make!

Amazing how two hockey players with no hockey sense can have such lengthy careers in the NHL.

not saying that they aren't talented...however, if Gagner had more hockey sense he would still be in the NHL...

what's Courtnall's and Gagner's career plus/minus?

25 minutes ago, Pete M said:

not saying that they aren't talented...however, if Gagner had more hockey sense he would still be in the NHL...

what's Courtnall's and Gagner's career plus/minus?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on Gagner's overall hockey sense but not on Russ Courtnall

BTW... Courtnall +/- over his NHL career was -1 in over 1000 games. I might have let the original comment go if you had not included Russ Courtnall in the conversation but felt I needed to respond to that glaring inaccuracy about him.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Sorry, I must have tagged in to this while not getting the context. It happens. 

Anyone who can make the NHL has hockey sense. 

My minor point that even some guys, non pro hockey guys that is, win the Cup. I cited a few examples to say that you don’t need to be #99 to coach a PP or to win a Cup behind a bench. 

The likelihood of that happening is extremely remote IMHO. Each of Beagle, Schaller and Roussel bring to the table different but important intangibles that the Canucks desperately lacked last year.

Jay Beagle for his defensive game, face off prowess and penalty killing expertise. He helps take some of the load off of Sutter's shoulders.

Antoine Roussel for his in your face, not afraid to stir things up and willingness to scrap if need be........a decent replacement for what we lost when Derek Dorsett went down to injury.

Tim Schaller for his defensive game and PK abilities as well as his willingness to fight in defense of his team mates even if severely outmatched as was the case when he fought Gudbranson last year while he was with Boston.

I have not seen anyone on the roster that is seriously challenging any of these three for the roles they play on the team. The only two IMO, that come even close would be Virtanen or Motte.

“It was a hard conversation,” Benning said. “I tried to explain to him that we had signed Sam but we felt younger players had outperformed him at camp. I was talking about (Nikolay) Goldobin, mostly. We had to make a hard decision on that, and it was hard to have to call him up and explain it. But at the end of the conversation he understood. That was the hardest call I’ve had to make to him.”

Aquilini told Sportsnet: “When they made that decision to put Sam in the minors, when they told me, I wasn’t happy about it. I mean, it’s $3 million (per season). It’s crazy, but that’s what was necessary.”

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lippy and Gaunce could go on a good run and then what? 

Who gets sent down?

I would say Eriksson, but now seeing how hard it was for Benning to tell FA about Gagner and FA thinks it's crazy a player making 3M is in the minors, he would loose his mind if a player at 6M went to the minors, but would be funny to see FA lose his mind :lol:

Archived