The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

5 hours ago, Pickly said:

This is why Benning should just hide the cheque book come July 1st. Not including this year (yet), none of his free agent signings have worked out thus far aside from Ryan Miller. Like, we as fans seem to know better than management and ownership that free agent signings are a waste of time unless you are on the brink of contending and need that extra piece. Now his cap hit is buried in the minors for two seasons.

Yes of course we do. But you broke the first rule of CDC club. 

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'm sorry but no player can have 7 40+ point seasons with no hockey sense. 

That said Gagner did not even come close to earning a roster spot this season. You gotta earn a roster spot through current play not based on the success of 2 seasons ago. 

To be fair, he doesn't have common sense if he thinks the "effort" he gave last year and this preseason were remotely near acceptable.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:39 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

This was a particularly stupid paragraph:

Yes, I wonder where all those guys on 1 year contracts went and why Nilsson hasn't played in the oh-so-large sample size of 3games. 

What does that even have to do with anything regarding Gagner?? 

How was Thomas Vanek not in the good books??

How were Weircioch, Burmistrov & Nilsson experienced as far as being established NHLers capable of contributing on good teams??

No wonder some people out here hate Toronto 

19 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Was he very evident in the only game he has been in?  I can't remember him very well at all.  

His first shift he went forehand backhand in tight and nearly finished, then followed it up with a nice backhand shot from the slot.  That was more or less the extent of his offensive chances but he played solid otherwise. No glaring mistakes, hard on the puck. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

To be fair, he doesn't have common sense if he thinks the "effort" he gave last year and this preseason were remotely near acceptable.

And Benning doesn't have any common sense if he thinks coming back with the same defense and goaltending after last season is acceptable.

But oh well.

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

And Benning doesn't have any common sense if he thinks coming back with the same defense and goaltending after last season is acceptable.

But oh well.

Any ideas for options?

It was very likely some of our youth would earn a spot, and they didn’t. Benning publically gave them a shot and they missed this year. That’s not on him. 

Personally, I think we’re going for a “development season” myself; IE a tank. 

29 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

His first shift he went forehand backhand in tight and nearly finished, then followed it up with a nice backhand shot from the slot.  That was more or less the extent of his offensive chances but he played solid otherwise. No glaring mistakes, hard on the puck. 

I missed the start of the game lol.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think there were a lot of people who didn’t believe Benning would have the stones.

Possibly, but I bet those people still thought all along that it should've happened. I sense that SG didn't think his play warranted him being waived. 

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Possibly, but I bet those people still thought all along that it should've happened. I sense that SG didn't think his play warranted him being waived. 

& last yr..what a play-killing, uninspiring lump! You'd think he'd have the decency to exit stage-left, with his suitcase crammed of ill-gotten gains.

But of COURSE he'll find a receptive audience for this drivel out east; offering them a chance to slag Canucks, whilst portraying the Mordor Leafers as compassionate, employ-opportunity enthusiasts.

This league/lackey media is wearing me down.

15 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

You don't know what he's done with his career earnings and how much he has saved. Just because he's made that much doesn't mean he has that much or more than enough in his bank. Besides, IIRC in the CBA players are allowed an allowance for rent/hotel should they choose so. Just so happened that he'd rather go live with his parents to avoid the loneliness of being in his own unit or hotel room and he'd much rather feel at home with his parents. Plus, whenever his wife and kids come to visit, they'll be able to stay with his parents instead of him having to incur extra expenses booking a hotel room for his family.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that in the AHL, you're allowed a maximum 5 veteran players dressed on any given night. Utica already has 5 that will dress on a nightly basis which includes Boucher and Archibald who will be callups should injuries arise. The other 3 are Wacey Hamilton, Jaime Sifers, and Carter Bancks who are AHL vets themselves. Gagner would most likely have been scratched constantly and I'm 100% positive the culture in Utica in terms of work ethic, accountability, and effort is the same as what Travis Green has been instilling in the Canucks since he's arrived.

That's totally fine, just don't go cry about it in the media.

Archived