The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

23 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

1. Unaffordability.

This is undeniable. For what Vancouver offers it's residents, as a city (forget about the "natural beauty"), it is probably the most overpriced city on Earth.

2. Constant rain from Nov to April.

Well, when you live in a rainforest, expect rain.

3. Ugly skyline due to genetic overpriced condos used for laundered money.

The skyline is generic and snore inducing. There are no buildings that really stick out and scream Vancouver. Just a lot of uninspired, pretentious glass buildings. The 600 ft (approx.) height restriction is ridiculous. The city should be allowing 1000 ft. towers downtown to deal with the fact that the downtown peninsula is very small.

4. Loss of character and soul.

Very, very true. I'm born and raised in Vancouver, and what I've seen during that time is an almost wholesale bulldozing of the past. Vancouver has very little sense of it's own history, and tends to focus mainly on how much something costs versus what it's legacy will be.

5. Loss of small long-time businesses due to outrageous rents and property taxes.

True. Again the vast greed that has gripped the city and outlying regions has made it so that mainly those who are well-heeled can afford to open a small business.

6. Too transient and touristy and less and less community and family-oriented.

Again, very true. The days of strong neighborhoods in the city are long gone. Certainly they're are pockets of neighborhoods out there, but for the most part, the city is a lonely place.

7. Homelessness.

8. Large increase of drug use.

These two go hand in hand. Blame the Liberals and that scumbag Gordon Campbell for closing Riverview, which sent vast amounts of mentally unstable people to fend for themselves. Any mental health initiatives are merely lip service when you look at the long game and how the provincial and municipal governments have let things fester to their disgusting present state in the downtown east side.

9. Worst traffic congestion in North America. Bike lanes have made it worse.

Can't disagree, although driving through Western Washington from 2 - 7 pm on any day of the week, makes me long for Vancouver's traffic. The problem is that every minister of transportation has been a useless skinbag who's done nothing to alleviate the issue. The transportation infrastructure is pathetic, stuck about 50 years in the past, and needs a complete overhaul to make the region, in any way livable.

Igor Robberson's bike lanes were a horribly executed initiative that only served his faithful and screwed over so many others, definitely contributing to the region's horrible traffic.

10. Arrogant, conceited and self-righteous snobbery.

This has been steadily increasing for about 20 years and is evident all over the city. People self-righteously tout the city's placement in nature as if it's something unique, to the point of being embarrassing. Wow the ocean, actually it's a bay and a strait, not the ocean, folks. Go to Tofino, Uculet, or Long Beach to see that. And the e. coli you can get swimming in English Bay seems to be absent from the long-winded Vancouver ra ra ra diatribes. The mountains? Wow. Seattle has Rainer, which is about 14,000 ft. is even more striking and awe-inspiring than the Coast Mountains.

Vancouver is a nice city, but when compared as a proper city, regardless of natural setting, to New York, Rome, London, Dublin, Toronto, Chicago, and numerous others, it's a vanilla, middle of the road city with potential.

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Seriously where are these giant bugs people keeps talking about. I’m actually really curious as I’ve never seen any. I’ve never even heard of them till this board started mentioning it. 

In alberta there typically only 2 months that have mostqitoes which is right after spring before it gets to hot in summer. And the only time you really notice them is when you are camping in the mountains or staying next to a lake.  Heck the most I experience mosquitoes is when I’m in invermere. 

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

There are usually 2-3 weeks where the mosquitos can be pretty bad where I live, but we're beside a lake, so that is to be expected. But yeah, outside of that, they're either non-existent, or no big deal.

My parents joined my family out near Calgary just last year. They had been in BC for ages. In fact my mother had lived in the Fraser Valley her entire life! My dad used to mock the idea of moving to Alberta every time we had a snowfall. So far, they absolutely love it. They said the same thing I did when I first came here - they love all the sunshine, and didn't realize what they were missing before.

From what I've heard from people who've moved here from back east is that the larger size of spiders and hornets here is the most striking difference for them.

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

1. Unaffordability has been caused by corrupt real estate developers and their catering to foreign investors - many of them looking to park their money. The tearing down of older affordable housing and replaced by luxury homes and condos, therefore driving up the cost of real estate through the atmosphere. Land speculation has been another contributing factor.

Yes, and thats not a rebuttal. Why are they doing this here and not Yellowknife or Portage-La Prairie?

2. Constant rain is very depressing. So, therefore, it is a flaw. If rain is a feature, then long traditional Canadian winters are a feature in the likes of Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. It has been a breeding ground for most of our great hockey players.

No, it isn't. If YOU find it depressing, that's on you. That doesn't make it an inherent flaw. I personally find the wide open emptiness of the prairies depressing. Yet I realize thats a feature, not a flaw. I wouldn't go there and say "Wow this place sucks, its not surrounded by mountains and oceans, look how depressing all of this nothingness is" because I know some people absolutely love the scenery there.

3. The mountains and natural scenery is Leipsic on a pig. When one can't see the mountains because of the long gloomy and rainy season, the skyline rears its ugly head. This so-called Vancouver/West Coast architecture was influenced by Hong Kong architecture - which explains the term "Hongcouver"

First of all, the term "Hongcouver" didn't come about because of the "skyline", it came about because of the massive influx of Chinese immigrants. Second, you're relying on your previous opinion as justification for this one, which is feeble support.

Our long-standing communities with families with children and when people knew their neighbours have been lost due to politicians and real estate developers selling out our city. Nobody can afford to live here long-term. Vancouver has become nothing more than a real estate piggybank, a backdoor resort and a pitstop for international students and workers. The city has become way too transient.

Sounds like you need to get more involved with your community then.

5. Homelessness has been caused, for the most part, by politicians and real estate developers. Demovictions is a prime example.

That's certainly a factor. However to claim that "real estate" developers is the only real cause of Vancouver's homelessness problem (and all of Vancouver's problems, except for the rain, in your eyes) is not accurate. As someone whose job requires spending a significant amount of time with the homeless, I can tell you a massive amount of them aren't from here. The reason Vancouver's homelessness rate is significantly higher than somewhere like Toronto or Montreal is because so many of them flock here from the rest of the country due to milder winters and some idealized version of the hippy utopia the rest of the country mocks us for. Even the fact that that we don't have massive amounts of them dying off to hypothermia in the winter is a factor. As some of my police friends in much colder parts of the country attest, every spring they spend a significant amount of time dealing with the bodies of people, usually homeless, who got caught out in the cold and went missing until the thaw. 

6. & 7. "If you're dying for that small town charm, go to a small town" is a prime example of Vancouver arrogance and snobbery. I was born and raised here so I know what the hell I'm talking about. Wearing your home team's gear is all good. However, the attitude of "we're a world class city", "the greatest place on earth", while putting down other Canadian cities(Vancouver is the worst for doing this - and NOT just in sports) is nauseating. By the way, I would shake a Flames fan's hand if he/she called Vancouver a "snobby, potstinking, overpriced hipster town" because it's the plain honest truth. My response would be, "You would have liked us back in the 60's, 70's and 80's."

So leave, you're the worst type of Vancouverite. "Wah we suck so much but I'll just stay here and complain". And to think that isn't arrogance and hubris. "We're the worst and most arrogant because I say so, I know better, my anecdotal opinions trump all" is ironically one of the most arrogant, self-righteous things I have read in a long time, so maybe you do have a point. 

Lol, genetic condos. 

BC is the best Province in Canada and Vancouver is a world class city. 

"I hate the rain and I can't afford a house!"  tough @#$% biscuit.  What are we at, 2 weeks in a row without a drop of rain in October?  It's literally 18 degrees out right now, I was sun tanning on my lunch break ffs lol.

And why would people complain about the skyline?  Are you a blimp operator?

Vancouver, it does get it's fair share of jealousy. I've been living here for 25 years, although its not the same city I fell in love with I still see it as a great place. 

This is the best Country on the planet. Vancouver is just one city that happens to be the home of our Vancouver Canucks.

You don't have to be from here to support the team. However to constantly diss the city that is the teams home is in my opinion lousy.

You don't like Vancouver , that's ok, you don't have to live here.

Instead of being negative about anywhere else ....

Things I like about Vancouver are:

The nice people, the many cultures, the world class entertainment, The Canucks, The Whitecaps, The Lions, The Canadians, the craft beer explosion, the sea wall, the very beautiful healthy people at Kits beach, the come as you are people of Wreck Beach, the best park in the world with the best name - Stanley Park, the four seasons ( yes I love rain), the abundance of great restaurants, the art/ theatre and music community, the martial arts community, Main st - still a good family neighborhood even with them hipsters, the beautiful cars (lots of millionaires with sick rides), within an hour of any outdoor activity ( sea to sky- you could windsurf in the morn, mountain bike in the afternoon and ski at night!), UBC, Musqueam (I like the driving range at Gino's little course), the legacy of the Olympics( great village), the major port bringing in all those goods, the cruise ships, science world, historic Gastown, boating and oh yeah - the mighty Pacific Ocean!, the pride of East Van!, the mega -pride of the West End! Marijuana friendly well before legalisation, and finally.... YOU - I like you... when you come to visit...you will see we have our warts and there are quite a few things you can knock, but at the end of the day we are just another city, a nice one, in your country, that happens to be where you can watch your team play.

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol, genetic condos

"I hate the rain and I can't afford a house!"  tough @#$% biscuit.  What are we at, 2 weeks in a row without a drop of rain in October?  It's literally 18 degrees out right now, I was sun tanning on my lunch break ffs lol.

The generic (genetic) condo's are old news too. I imagine the city gets that knock from most of the similar buildings on the old Expo grounds but things are changing fast.

I live 2 blocks from this monster, they are almost done.

Vancouver house:

11499816.jpg.0109d8a6d69dacb0ab2423141adccdff.jpg

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Ha. I actually received an email back from SportsNet.                               Thank you very much for your e-mail and your feedback.

We at Sportsnet take concussions extremely seriously. It is not a joking matter. We do hold our on-air personalities accountable and responsible for their comments and expect them to represent themselves and the network in a respectful manner. In this case, Eric Francis recognized and acknowledged that his tweet was in poor taste and issued a public apology on Twitter. We appreciate his ability to admit that he made a mistake and hope our audiences are able to do the same.

Thank you again for your e-mail. We truly value your feedback.

Sincerely

I'm his apology he hasn't used the word "sorry" a single time and finished it by saying "my bad". Does this sound like someone who is actually sorry?.. Pathetic! 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol, genetic condos. 

Generic, not "Genetic". Correction made, thank you.

Examples of world class cities are New York City, San Francisco, London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Vienna, Tokyo, Shanghai and Singapore. Vancouver is simply a lifestyle city.

Yes, believe it or not, October has been great weather-wise. Let's see how the current weather holds up by November.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

The generic (genetic) condo's are old news too. I imagine the city gets that knock from most of the similar buildings on the old Expo grounds but things are changing fast.

I live 2 blocks from this monster, they are almost done.

Vancouver house:

11499816.jpg.0109d8a6d69dacb0ab2423141adccdff.jpg

Alien looking.is that down by oak bay? Oops, coal harbour?

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This is undeniable. For what Vancouver offers it's residents, as a city (forget about the "natural beauty"), it is probably the most overpriced city on Earth.

Well, when you live in a rainforest, expect rain.

The skyline is generic and snore inducing. There are no buildings that really stick out and scream Vancouver. Just a lot of uninspired, pretentious glass buildings. The 600 ft (approx.) height restriction is ridiculous. The city should be allowing 1000 ft. towers downtown to deal with the fact that the downtown peninsula is very small.

Very, very true. I'm born and raised in Vancouver, and what I've seen during that time is an almost wholesale bulldozing of the past. Vancouver has very little sense of it's own history, and tends to focus mainly on how much something costs versus what it's legacy will be.

True. Again the vast greed that has gripped the city and outlying regions has made it so that mainly those who are well-heeled can afford to open a small business.

Again, very true. The days of strong neighborhoods in the city are long gone. Certainly they're are pockets of neighborhoods out there, but for the most part, the city is a lonely place.

These two go hand in hand. Blame the Liberals and that scumbag Gordon Campbell for closing Riverview, which sent vast amounts of mentally unstable people to fend for themselves. Any mental health initiatives are merely lip service when you look at the long game and how the provincial and municipal governments have let things fester to their disgusting present state in the downtown east side.

Can't disagree, although driving through Western Washington from 2 - 7 pm on any day of the week, makes me long for Vancouver's traffic. The problem is that every minister of transportation has been a useless skinbag who's done nothing to alleviate the issue. The transportation infrastructure is pathetic, stuck about 50 years in the past, and needs a complete overhaul to make the region, in any way livable.

Igor Robberson's bike lanes were a horribly executed initiative that only served his faithful and screwed over so many others, definitely contributing to the region's horrible traffic.

This has been steadily increasing for about 20 years and is evident all over the city. People self-righteously tout the city's placement in nature as if it's something unique, to the point of being embarrassing. Wow the ocean, actually it's a bay and a strait, not the ocean, folks. Go to Tofino, Uculet, or Long Beach to see that. And the e. coli you can get swimming in English Bay seems to be absent from the long-winded Vancouver ra ra ra diatribes. The mountains? Wow. Seattle has Rainer, which is about 14,000 ft. is even more striking and awe-inspiring than the Coast Mountains.

Vancouver is a nice city, but when compared as a proper city, regardless of natural setting, to New York, Rome, London, Dublin, Toronto, Chicago, and numerous others, it's a vanilla, middle of the road city with potential.

That,s why I moved the Okanagan, tho it’s getting worse every year.

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Generic, not "Genetic". Correction made, thank you.

Examples of world class cities are New York City, San Francisco, London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Vienna, Tokyo, Shanghai and Singapore. Vancouver is simply a lifestyle city.

Yes, believe it or not, October has been great weather-wise. Let's see how the current weather holds up by November.

I don't know the difference between world class and lifestyle cities. I do know that none of the one's you mentioned are in Canada. I would not like to live outside Canada. 

I do like the lifestyle in Vancouver.

are we comparing Calgary to Vancouver?   Omg lets just stay away from that.  It's an auto lose for  Calgary.  It's not even a close.  Vancouver does have their own problems, cost of living, cost of gas, but Calgary and Vancouver are not even in the same tier.  Both cities of their bad.  but it's not even close.  Calgary is more comparable to cities like Seattle, St.Louis,

" Examples of world class cities are New York City, San Francisco, London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Vienna, Tokyo, Shanghai and Singapore. "

Vancouver falls right with them.  I've been to many cities, I can tell you my favorite is Melbourne.  I use to hate Vancouver until I visited these other cities.  Melbourne and Vancouver  are one of the best 2 places to live in the world in my opinion.   I personally like Calgary more then Toronto and Edmonton, but cmon, they are not in the same tier.

Archived