The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

On 2018-10-15 at 12:12 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If people wanted more of a reason to really hate Calgary well here's your chance, I couldn't believe what I was reading this is just ridiculous.

Eric Francis, a senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca and a host on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 radio, launched a contest Monday morning asking listeners to “name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson (sic).”

While Vancouver Canucks rookie Elias Pettersson recovers from a concussion, some Calgary broadcasters are having a little fun at his expense.

Eric Francis, a senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca and a host on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 radio, launched a contest Monday morning asking listeners to “name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson (sic).”

We are assuming Francis meant Pettersson, who, according to a report from TSN’s Bob McKenzie, will be out seven to 10 days, if not longer, as he recovers from a concussion suffered when the 19-year-old centreman’s head bounced off the ice in Florida.

If you can’t joke about head injuries, what can you joke about?

The winning suggestion receives tickets to the Eric Francis Pizza Pigout, a “celebrity” pizza party held Oct. 18 at the Cowboys Dance Hall in Calgary.

A number of Canucks fans were not amused with the contest and let Francis know about it on Twitter.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/calgary-radio-guy-has-fun-with-elias-petterssons-concussion

Just incase anyone is interested.

Contest and Open Phone Lines for 960

Local calls: 403-240-4444
Cell phone: *960 on Rogers Wireless
Text us: 960960

General Inquiries regarding SN 960 The FAN Radio in Calgary

You can email Program Director Kelly Kirch at kelly.kirch@rci.rogers.com
Switchboard: 403-246-9696

Wonder if he will do the same for johnny hockey?

14 hours ago, Analyst82 said:

I'm his apology he hasn't used the word "sorry" a single time and finished it by saying "my bad". Does this sound like someone who is actually sorry?.. Pathetic! 

Oh, is this a thread about Eric Francis?

I thought it was a debate about Vancouver as a great city or not?

B)

Funny thing is that Francis, during the intermission, was pointing out how the Flames go after any player that abuses Johnny (like earlier in the game when someone stuck out a leg during one of his rushes)..he made sure to mention that this was unlike the behavior of the Canucks with regards to the Pettersson incident.

Then later in the game Johnny got clocked by McAvoy.

Johnny has been clocked in 3 straight games now.  If the hits are clean im fine with it, however some dinosaurs need to progress beyond 1990s NJ devils hockey and realize that many of these bright young smallish players are the bread and butter future of the NHL.  Just because Scott Stephens wasnt called for it back in 96 doesnt mean that you can turn a blind eye to rodeo on ice because the player is under 200 lbs.

Players like JG and Elias should be protected by the NHL and not have to rely on their teams to police liberties taken.

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Funny thing is that Francis, during the intermission, was pointing out how the Flames go after any player that abuses Johnny (like earlier in the game when someone stuck out a leg during one of his rushes)..he made sure to mention that this was unlike the behavior of the Canucks with regards to the Pettersson incident.

Then later in the game Johnny got clocked by McAvoy.

Johnny has been clocked in 3 straight games now.  If the hits are clean im fine with it, however some dinosaurs need to progress beyond 1990s NJ devils hockey and realize that many of these bright young smallish players are the bread and butter future of the NHL.  Just because Scott Stephens wasnt called for it back in 96 doesnt mean that you can turn a blind eye to rodeo on ice because the player is under 200 lbs.

Players like JG and Elias should be protected by the NHL and not have to rely on their teams to police liberties taken.

So true. I'm done with "back in the day", "it used to be". Get over it people. Time to move on. For contact sports to exist changes need to made. I look the the NFL. Recent contraversies aside, spearing tackles with helmets, protecting the QBs, have been addressed in the last few years. The new rules been embraced by players and fans. For some reason some hockey fans cant come to terms with the attempted changes. Again, you can have tough, hard nosed hockey without dumb plays like the one Mathison just did. 

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

So true. I'm done with "back in the day", "it used to be". Get over it people. Time to move on. For contact sports to exist changes beed to made. I look the the NFL. Recent contraversies aside, spearing tackles with helmets, protecting the QBs, has been addressed in the last few years. The new rules been embraced by players and fans. For some reason some hockey fans cant come to terms with the attempted changes. Again, you can have tough, hard nosed hockey without dumb plays like the one Mathison just did. 

i agree.  the other thing we have to factor in here are current/future law suits regarding head trauma and concussions.  the league is gonna have to cover its arse and start doing more to protect players..with the info we have today about the long term affects of head shots i cant see how the league wont do its best to start protecting the players more in light of liability issues it could face.

would we have seen matheson suspended 5 years ago on the same play? i bet not...at least they are heading in the right direction and not completely leaving it up to teams to police this themselves like its 1992.

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

i agree.  the other thing we have to factor in here are current/future law suits regarding head trauma and concussions.  the league is gonna have to cover its arse and start doing more to protect players..with the info we have today about the long term affects of head shots i cant see how the league wont do its best to start protecting the players more in light of liability issues it could face.

would we have seen matheson suspended 5 years ago on the same play? i bet not...at least they are heading in the right direction and not completely leaving it up to teams to police this themselves like its 1992.

Exactly. Purists need to realize that if these issues aren't cleaned up it will get to the point of no contact. Its simply a liability issue and the world we live in. 

It's better not to poke any fun on anyone's expense like the Calgary media did to Petterson and now Johnny hockey got hurt so I won't poke any fun to that as it's a serious issue and I hope that McAvoy would be suspended.  It has no place with hockey anymore and Gaudreau already shot and 2 seconds later, boom, he's hit.  I still maintain that Matherson should be 5-gamer and McAvoy should receive the same treatment but will DoPS act on that?  I hope that they become consistent with their decision.   I love any big hit and should be only be legal when they have the puck when the hit is made even concussed by that hit and should remain legal.  I would love for that replay being expanded so that they don't penalize anyone with a clean hit if there's injury on the play.  If the puck is not there, STOP and show some respect to their fellow players.  Gaudreau did not have the puck when the hit was made despite puck being close to him.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, rekker said:

Ha. I actually received an email back from SportsNet.                               Thank you very much for your e-mail and your feedback.

We at Sportsnet take concussions extremely seriously. It is not a joking matter. We do hold our on-air personalities accountable and responsible for their comments and expect them to represent themselves and the network in a respectful manner. In this case, Eric Francis recognized and acknowledged that his tweet was in poor taste and issued a public apology on Twitter. We appreciate his ability to admit that he made a mistake and hope our audiences are able to do the same.

Thank you again for your e-mail. We truly value your feedback.

Sincerely

The last line in the first paragraph is oddly worded. I wonder what mistake they think their audience has made that needs to be admitted to? Calling out their guy? That can't be what they meant.

When you're in the communication industry, you should be better at communicating.

9 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

The last line in the first paragraph is oddly worded.

I think if you take it in context it's pretty obvious that they hope that the audience can also appreciate the apology.

As to the Johnny G hit, I don't think it gets punished.  The puck was right at his feet when the hit was initiated, the principal point of contact was body.  About the only thing wrong is that he might be considered to be in a 'vulnerable position'.

Archived