The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mike McKenna (Flyers claim McKenna)

2 minutes ago, BillfromVan said:

I am not always in the know but in emergency situations can they not bring Mike D up. I  mean just temporarily till all transactions are finalized. 

What a pat on the back that would be to see MikeTendy on the bench. 

It might more likely someone on the team (a coach or trainer) will just put on some gear and sit on the bench or they find some local university hockey goalie sign a 1 day contract. Not sure where DiPietro would be at the point, but likely not enough time to get him to Montreal.

But since we won't know until tomorrow if he's even claimed, I don't think we will have to worry about the situation. If he does get claimed, then we simply need to find a solution for Utica and I'm sure there will be some ATO from ECHL that could fill the void while Kulbakov takes the starting duty in the meantime.

2 hours ago, The Listening said:

I find this sudden expediting of Demko to the big club a bit odd. Like, all of a sudden in the last two days, management decided it's time to bring him up. I'm all for it, just the timing is weird. 

I'm assuming it's because of how well DiPietro performed for Canada. It's his last year in junior meaning next year he would contend for a spot on the Comets. Another assumption would be they want to give him as many games as possible, meaning room needed to be made. Add that to the fact that Demko has already been developing nicely so it is time to see what he can do with the big club meaning one of Marky or Anders had to go. 

5 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm assuming it's because of how well DiPietro performed for Canada. It's his last year in junior meaning next year he would contend for a spot on the Comets. Another assumption would be they want to give him as many games as possible, meaning room needed to be made. Add that to the fact that Demko has already been developing nicely so it is time to see what he can do with the big club meaning one of Marky or Anders had to go. 

Is DiPietro eligible for the AHL next year? 

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Demko hasn't been recalled officially yet, but he will join the team tomorrow in Toronto. We will also find out tomorrow morning whether McKenna was claimed or not. Hence, McKenna will be the backup tonight.

and watch some team wait until just before puck drop to claim him to try and screw over Vancouver.

39 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

and watch some team wait until just before puck drop to claim him to try and screw over Vancouver.

They can do whatever they want, but teams can put claims in up to tomorrow morning when the team with highest priority gets him, it won't affect our game tonight.

So, just thinking...

With Fredrick Anderson and Garret Sparks both injured (and both have no timetable to return) and the Leafs having no faith in Kasimir Kaskisuo as an NHL backup, do you think the Leafs select McKenna off waivers? I could see them using him as a backup until Sparks comes back. Sort of like how Calvin Pickard has been used this season in Philly/Arizona. For Utica's sake, I hope this doesn't happen but it's a thought.

Also, if that scenario played out, how crazy of a week for McKenna would that be? Start off as a Senator, get traded to Vancouver (back us up for 2 games), and then backing up the Leafs when they face the Canucks on Saturday.

Not sure this actually happens but I could see it playing out. Toronto has already gone on record saying they may "trade for a goalie" as stated in this tweet from Jonas Siegel who works for The Athletic Toronto:

McKenna would certainly fit the bill since he's the only goalie on waivers today and the Maple Leafs have extra contract spots because of the waiver claims made to Calvin Pickard and Curtis McElehney.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder what the record is for playing for the most NHL and AHL teams combined? McKenna has to be in the running. 

Didn't Brent Ashton seem like he held that record for a while?  (ok, I'm going Waaaaaaaay back into ex-Canuck player history).

I highly doubt McKenna gets claimed by any team - there is likely an unspoken code with situations like this. If a team screwed the Nucks over then that would not sit well with not only JB but also with other GMs around the league. 

6 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Will Toronto really claim McKenna?

Doubt it, they have their temporary goalies in place.  Why take on another NHL contract that you'll have to rid yourself of once the other goalies come back.

I honestly think this is the perfect time for Thatcher to come in.

Markstrom is playing the best hockey of his career, and he is now unquestionably "the guy".

Nilsson sucks. As long as Demko is better than that, he will endear himself to the fanbase the same way all other capable backup goalies have here.

He's also one of the premier goaltending prospects outside the NHL. He's a good friggen goalie.

He'll excel here with this exciting young crop... I truly believe our team is better with Thatcher as a backup than Nilsson.

Archived