The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

If only reason ppl are sad to see Gudbranson go is the toughness then it's not a huge loss.. He wasn't a good Dman and he admitted this him self. 

As for physical presence, he never terrified ppl he wasn't  overly physical but did fight once in a blue moon. Hes -27 this year.

His toughness could easily be replaced with a 4th liner making less than half what Gudbransin made.. 

Good trade by Benning.  

• Upvote 1

Let's do some crystal ball gazing:  

1. Perhaps, unfortunately, Baer has more problems than we know about, meaning that this trade helps to fill in a hole for now and the near future;

2a. The team must be sure that someone on the farm is ready to move up and take Guddy's spot.  I'm hoping that it's Brisebois, or maybe Woo as a dark horse.  Or;   

2b. JB has an in with someone UFA this summer.  Maybe EK, maybe Myers, but maybe he's sure that someone is coming here;

3.  Could it be that Tryamkin might be coming back a bit ahead of schedule?   

4. Team grit has taken a hit here, so this could be a sign of what/who JB is aiming for in the upcoming draft. 

5. The holes on D are alarming at present, so there pretty much has to be wholesale changes this summer to make the personnel back there NHL ready, which is exciting to think about.

All in all, the trade has me thinking positive thoughts.  Best of luck Guddy!   

6 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Never mind the toughness, who's going to wear the formal Chinese attire now that Gudbranson's gone?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/erik-gudbranson-of-the-vancouver-canucks-sports-a-chinese-news-photo/850519910

Pearson a UFA this summer after an off year for him. 

He’s not a UFA this summer, two years left at 3.75 million, then a UFA.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/tanner-pearson

Will be interesting to see Luke Schenn as I presume he'll take Gudbranson's place in the line-up.

Worth noting that MDZ's deal for Schenn and a 7th may have been in preparation for this.  I know it seems strange that MDZ could go for a 6th at the TDL but that was only for a pick and did not involve a depth D.  Leads me to think that Benning could have received a late 2019 pick but opted to go for a late 2020 pick and a depth D with a possible Gudbranson trade in mind.

No idea about Pearson.  He obviously has played well in the past but he has really struggled this season.  Sportsnet 650 talked about him playing with Horvat which seems like it could be promising.  Pearson might fit better with Horvat than Spooner.  Pearson might also fit with Pettersson and Boeser.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

Im not sure how i feel. 

Maybe i would prefer if jb had gotten picks or even a young player with potential, instead of a guy that i dont remember liking anything about. 

Hard not to think we are going to miss guddys deterrent, at the same time watching pearson float around and collect a paycheck. 

I hope him and louie arent competing for 4 line spots this year and next *shudder*

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Time will tell. Defensively we couldn’t get much worse. Toughness was barely there even with Guddy. 

I disagree.not saying you specifically but if you watch a lot of games you’ll notice how certain players carry themselves on the ice.  And said players were totally different vs the Canucks.

its not just what guddy did or didn’t do in the toughness department.  It’s what other players from other teams didn’t do....matheson aside.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This is proof people will never be happy in this market.

You do understand as Canucks fans we're all different people? Not everyone views a player the same. Guddy was a poor defenseman as many have pointed out. But as others have stated he was one of our few tough guys. Why is that so hard to figure out for some people?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Apparently we got fleeced?

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby @tracegerrett 2m2 minutes ago

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby Retweeted Bob McKenzie
Pittsburgh absolutely fleeced Vancouver with this deal. Erik Gudbranson is one of the best depth defenseman that you can find on the market today. Brilliant move by GM Jim Rutherford. #NHLTradeDeadline #LetsGoPensNHLpenguins.png #CanucksNHLCanucks.png

Yeah a depth defense man making 4 million

• Upvote 2