The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

2 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

He didn't put us in a stronger position to push back because he was letting goals in left and right. 

I will give you the character point. Everyone in the lockeroom seemed to like him. But for real, I can already see the team playing better without him in the lineup.

But to each their own

I'm sorry.

I shouldn't have done that.

What I posted were Rutherford's words, not mine. I like him and find that he is very good gud at building balanced teams and having a feel for where the game is going.

That said, the Pens are not doing what they used to be this year.

Edited by bishopshodan

On 2/27/2019 at 11:58 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Well Landeskog and MacKinnon had zero issues running guys all night. 

Neither of those players would be intimidated by Gudbranson - if he wanted to fight them, they would just laugh at him and turtle.  Those guys are why you have a Virtanen - he can catch them and hit them without taking a penalty.  The question is, have the coaches said that that is what they want of him.  It was also a good reason to break in McEwan.  Let’s face it, we are not making the playoffs - time to find out what the new acquisitions and our young guys can do.  That means MacEwan, Gaudette, Brisebois, Jasek, Sautner, McEneny, Hughes (later on) and any other college kid that makes himself available (Rathbone and Lockwood).  We have older guys that we know as much about as we ever will (Sutter, Granlund, Eriksson, Schaller, Pouliot, Tanev, Edler). - what is the purpose in playing them?  We have also to decide if Edler playing 55 games a year, and Tanev about  the same is acceptable (and those numbers seem to shrink each year) for a team that wants to compete any time in the near future.  Also, a team whose ‘top’ defenceman scores maybe 20 points in a season is not going to have much of a power play, nor is it going to win much.

Also, most teams that succeed over the long haul tend to build from the back end out - Goalies, Defencemen, Centres, Wings in that order.  One major reason for that is that is generally the order of most to least development time.  The alternative is the Oilers that have 27 million in cap space invested in three forwards before they can ice an NHL defence.  They generate enough offence to no longer earn a top ten draft pick, but are not bad enough to generate a pick high enough to pick up a top line defenceman (unless they win the draft lottery, and then are lucky enough to have that pick work out).  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Me.

In Erik’s case he’s a real heart and soul guy. He’s a good dressing room guy. He’s got good character. He can protect our players, he puts us in stronger position to push back when we get into more physical games.

Erik has heart and soul is good in the dressing room, has good character, can protect our players (well, once every twenty games or so), only problem is that he’s a liability all the time he is on the ice. If he had all those characteristics and he could play hockey, he’d have been worth what we were playing him.  The sad fact is, he’s not an NHL hockey player.

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Erik has heart and soul is good in the dressing room, has good character, can protect our players (well, once every twenty games or so), only problem is that he’s a liability all the time he is on the ice. If he had all those characteristics and he could play hockey, he’d have been worth what we were playing him.  The sad fact is, he’s not an NHL hockey player.

Yes, he is. What's this his 8th season?

But I get what you are saying, he isn't worth his contract.

Time will tell if he can stay in the league...but I feel he fills a need on balanced team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Yes, he is. What's this his 8th season?

But I get what you are saying, he isn't worth his contract.

Time will tell if he can stay in the league...but I feel he fills a need on balanced team.

So true. Fit is everything and maybe he just fits better on the Pens. They are so structured. Schenn has filled the void just fine and I wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn back here next year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Neither of those players would be intimidated by Gudbranson - if he wanted to fight them, they would just laugh at him and turtle.  Those guys are why you have a Virtanen - he can catch them and hit them without taking a penalty.  The question is, have the coaches said that that is what they want of him.  It was also a good reason to break in McEwan.  Let’s face it, we are not making the playoffs - time to find out what the new acquisitions and our young guys can do.  That means MacEwan, Gaudette, Brisebois, Jasek, Sautner, McEneny, Hughes (later on) and any other college kid that makes himself available (Rathbone and Lockwood).  We have older guys that we know as much about as we ever will (Sutter, Granlund, Eriksson, Schaller, Pouliot, Tanev, Edler). - what is the purpose in playing them?  We have also to decide if Edler playing 55 games a year, and Tanev about  the same is acceptable (and those numbers seem to shrink each year) for a team that wants to compete any time in the near future.  Also, a team whose ‘top’ defenceman scores maybe 20 points in a season is not going to have much of a power play, nor is it going to win much.

Also, most teams that succeed over the long haul tend to build from the back end out - Goalies, Defencemen, Centres, Wings in that order.  One major reason for that is that is generally the order of most to least development time.  The alternative is the Oilers that have 27 million in cap space invested in three forwards before they can ice an NHL defence.  They generate enough offence to no longer earn a top ten draft pick, but are not bad enough to generate a pick high enough to pick up a top line defenceman (unless they win the draft lottery, and then are lucky enough to have that pick work out).  

Teams are only allowed 4 regular recalls after the TDL.  They have already used 2x on Sautner (papered down to be eligible for the AHL playoffs) and Brisebois.  

On 2/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, N7Nucks said:

Ask and you shall receive I always say.

You just have to remember to be specific, I once told my wife I wanted a house full of beautiful bitches and she got all excited and said 'awesome me too!!' We now have a house full of huskies and malamute females....beautiful bitches? Yes yes they are...

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Wow just watched the Pens/Sabres game. The Pens play by play guys were sure gushing over Guddy. He did play well but got burned a few times wide (nothing new) and was hemmed in his own end a few times. But just listening to them every time he stepped into the ice was too much. Guy made 3 good plays all game and he’s the next coming of Chris Pronger all of a sudden. 

9 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Wow just watched the Pens/Sabres game. The Pens play by play guys were sure gushing over Guddy. He did play well but got burned a few times wide (nothing new) and was hemmed in his own end a few times. But just listening to them every time he stepped into the ice was too much. Guy made 3 good plays all game and he’s the next coming of Chris Pronger all of a sudden. 

Guddy looks the part more than he plays the part. They will find that out soon enough.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I would say your right, we are not making the playoffs.  Edler getting hurt is always bad for us, then Tanev goes down are we have and AHL defence.  

Beiga has played well, but Hutton.ans Stecher are struggling against top lines.  

This also kills offence and I dont find it odd that our only offence of late has come from the Horvat line. 

This guy thinks EG is of to a Gud start.

https://triblive.com/sports/newly-acquired-defenseman-erik-gudbranson-fills-stat-sheet-in-penguins-debut/

Analytically speaking, when he was on the ice at even strength, the Penguins had big advantages in shot attempts (22-7), unblocked shot attempts (18-4), shots (14-3), scoring chances (16-6) and high-danger scoring chances (5-2).

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

-1 in one game with the Penguins.

I wish him the best, but it is fairly likely that his new team is going to realize what he is pretty quickly.  They soured on Jack Johnson, and now they have two of them.

Who knows what will happen, but the hate some have for him on CDC is too much. The guy gave his full effort and thats more than you can say for a lot of players we've had. 

If he ends up going deep in the playoffs thats great. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3

20 hours ago, rekker said:

So true. Fit is everything and maybe he just fits better on the Pens. They are so structured. Schenn has filled the void just fine and I wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn back here next year. 

I might tune into the upcoming two Pens games vs. CBJ, they are going to be like playoff games. It will be interesting to see how Guddy plays in those two for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

I would say your right, we are not making the playoffs.  Edler getting hurt is always bad for us, then Tanev goes down are we have and AHL defence.  

Beiga has played well, but Hutton.ans Stecher are struggling against top lines.  

This also kills offence and I dont find it odd that our only offence of late has come from the Horvat line. 

Baertschi

Sutter

Virtanen

and the back up goalie was injured so Dipietro had to play a game

• Upvote 2