The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have a very hard time believing that you watch enough Swedish hockey to know the difference between these two guys. 

Just another bad deal.

Doesn’t address any of the issues  or move any of the OLD stale players gaining depth we didn’t gain anything with this. 

We didn’t gain scoring depth we didn’t gain defensive prospects  utica lost a player.

hope the new kid doesn’t take 4 months to adjust to North America or it be out the door for him to. 

Gave up to early. No reason to trade a young promising prospect not even 1 year into his pro career.

• Wat 1

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well THAT'S an interesting trade.

Can anyone with more info on the Euro leagues chime in on whether or not that production is comparable to Dahlens?

Also.  Omg Benning did a thing let's hate it!!

yeah where the hell is SID anyway

sleeping on the job me thinks

:frantic:

24 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

This is such a sad day... why? Why not even let him play with EP at least to see what you have. Again I’ll say it once more. We have to take a real HARD LOOK at how we develop our prospects in Utica because this stinks of mismanagement and JD got culled

Its likely they didn't give him a chance to play alongside EP on the big club at the NHL stage because he wasn't deserving of it and/or ready for it.

JB may not be the best at pro-scouting but hes been pretty good with the amateur scouting: Boeser, Pettersson, Madden, Gaudette, DiPietro, Palmu, Rathbone, Woo. All these are have been great picks and some in the later rounds.

Its a wait and see but I would definitely give him Karlsson a chance before we deem this trade a success or a failure. I was  a huge fan of Dahlen but if the team thinks he will not transition well or may not make the big leagues in our development system then its a good idea to move on.

Maybe this is a long play, for one Karlsson to convince another Karlsson to come over to the canucks ;)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Just another bad deal.

Doesn’t address any of the issues  or move any of the OLD stale players gaining depth we didn’t gain anything with this. 

We didn’t gain scoring depth we didn’t gain defensive prospects  utica lost a player.

hope the new kid doesn’t take 4 months to adjust to North America or it be out the door for him to. 

Gave up to early. No reason to trade a young promising prospect not even 1 year into his pro career.

don't you think its a little early to make that comment? 

• Upvote 2

I can't even think of one single justification for this move.

If they think he's too small, he can hit the gym and get stronger. If he's not fast enough, he can improve his skating. I personally love his skating. That hip-swivel of his is fantastic.

But you can't teach the kind of  heart that kid showed in Timra. Literally 2 years ago he outperformed Pettersson at the same level. 

I know I'm weirdly attached a prospect that likely won't amount to much, but I hate this trade.

I'll watch some Karlsson highlights, but I just don't get giving up on Dahlen this early.

**EDIT** ah, he asked for a trade. Move along then bub...

Edited by nergish

4 minutes ago, combover said:

Just another bad deal.

Bet ya feel silly now Mr doom and gloom...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he improved a lot over last year, but I'm hesitant to say I like this deal. I'm just gonna have to trust Jimbo with this one since he's proven me wrong countless times before.

Dahlen was looking pretty decent in Utica and has obvious chemistry with Petey. A bit worried how EP will take this news.

Karlsson looks like a decent player in the SHL (actually not, see EDIT2 below) this year, 17 points in 48 games in his draft+1 year.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more this could be a good deal for us. Dahlen played in Sweden's 2nd league for two years after being drafted whereas Karlsson is already in the SHL immediately after being drafted, which shows a faster progression. I've already changed my mind, I like this deal now.

EDIT2: It looks like he's not in the SHL. I might have misinterpreted it. Then I'm kind of back to meh. What a roller coaster.

What in the eff did I just read??? Lol. 

• Haha 1