The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

• 1 month later...

What is the long term future of Tanner Pearson.

Pearson was shut down with a hand injury on January 12th, he hurt the hand on November 9th.

The latest on Pearson is that he has had 6-7 surgeries so far and the hope is he is done with surgeries.

The re-hab is still a long road ahead for Pearson, still too early to know if he will play next season.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss9cct

Feel really bad for Tanner, 6-7 surgeries must mean things went really wrong here and his hand must be pretty messed up. I hope there wasn't any negligence on the Canucks behalf, like trying to take a shortcut to get him playing again as quickly as possible.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wouldn't the surgeons be the ones who need to defend themselves? I'm curious what wrongdoing the club could have done. It's not like our medical staff performed the botched surgery. 

Feel terrible for Tanner seemed like a real team guy. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Wouldn't the surgeons be the ones who need to defend themselves? I'm curious what wrongdoing the club could have done. It's not like our medical staff performed the botched surgery. 

Feel terrible for Tanner seemed like a real team guy. 

The surgeons might need to defend against a malpractice suit, but if the Canucks medical staff recommended a specific procedure and a specific doctor to perform it then they could be the target of a grievance. 

Edit: I should add especially if there was a nonsurgical option but the medical staff pushed for a surgery instead to theoretically speed up the process

Edited by Diamonds
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

he's definitely out at least 1/2 this year if they're saying they hope he can play hockey again. This is aligned with the end of season presser where he said he hopes to just be able to do normal things again. My goodness how can surgeons botch such a standard procedure so badly! This is one time where its better to be in the states, because he could sue for alot of money. In Canada, you get peanuts if anything

I just hope, regardless of hockey, he can just have a normal life and not lose the ability to use his hand for daily life. Losing hockey would suck for sure, but he's had a good career. Losing mobility in your hand for daily life is a whole different level of suck.

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

He better be preparing for training camp.

Doesn't mean he will be ready to go.

To not prepare could be a violation of his contract.??

If it isn't healing I assume that means he won't be ready to go, so I don't see that as a violation of his contract. The guy has been to hell and back with this injury, I hope the best for him and his family.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

He better be preparing for training camp.

Doesn't mean he will be ready to go.

To not prepare could be a violation of his contract.??

7 Hand surgeries in, I think we can offer a bit of sympathy to him. As most athletes especially one like Pearson, he's obviously going to do all he can to prepare for the season barring any set backs. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johngould21 said:

If it isn't healing I assume that means he won't be ready to go, so I don't see that as a violation of his contract. The guy has been to hell and back with this injury, I hope the best for him and his family.

I sure hope Pearson get his health back . Pearson 31 soon making 3.2 million X 1 yr left..His salary is not exciting against gap if he plays, too slow...

11 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Anyone pointing fingers at Pearson after what he has been through is about as stupid as you can get.

He is a standup player, who never hesitated to support his fellow team mates when things got rough, and never took a day off when he played.

Unfortunately his injury was mishandled and now he is enduring a long recovery.

I am sure he'll report the instant his doctor gives him the go ahead.

The one constant throughout various GM's in Canucks history.  Having this person be in charge of the medical staff:

Will be interesting how the team handles this now...if Pearson is not earmarked for LTIR - Canucks really have no more cap space if they fill out a 23 man roster. 

Still have to sign Hirose and Hoglander, will be interesting they they approach the glut of wingers they have.