The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko for Ristolainen

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Build from the net out.  Goalies win championships.  Give Buffalo the right goalie and they win the Stanley Cup before the Canucks do.  Canucks have one of the best Goalie situations in the league right now, no way should they change that.  By the end of next season, I bet Demko will be worth more than Schneider was.  

That's great and all until the ED comes along an takes one of the goalies you built out from.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's great and all until the ED comes along an takes one of the goalies you built out from.

There'll be more than one team (Seattle) that'll want one of the Canucks goalies.  You are right though, it is important for Canucks to keep the ED in mind.  I think Canucks should extend Markstrom this summer, but not give him a NMC or NTC.

I would be for it. As I said in my other thread Marky to Philly proposal we can only protect one of them in ED so cashing in on one of them IMO is the best option. I think we need to cut Tanevs minutes and move him while he has value. Expose Edler in the ED moving to Seattle would be nice and easy for him. 

the Future 

Hughes Risto

Hutton Woo

Juolevi Stetcher

something like that

You put Hughes Ristolainen together with Pete Boeser and its a shooting gallery 

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i could see juolevi for ristolainin. a lefty for a righty. demko is an important part of the rebuild.  i don’t know if that would be a good deal, because i’ve never watched either of them play. 

The Sabres don't have a need for Juolevi.  A trade needs to fulfill the needs of both teams in the deal.

Even for a Demko/Risto trade to be realistic, there needs to be less interest in him than would be anticipated.  Since several teams will likely be very interested in him, just Demko may not even whet Botterill's appetite enough to let him go to the Canucks.  That's assuming that the Sabres scouts are even high on Demko's potential next year as a 1b goaltender splitting games with Carter Hutton.

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Bolded is EXACTLY what I'm thinking.

As for Risto, don't know much about his personality but defensively is definitely where he needs work if he wants to be considered a legit top pair D. But even if he can't get there defensively, him and Hughes could be an AWFULLY effective offensive pair.

If you want to load up offence, sure. Would be a pretty good PP1. Regular 5 on 5 could be Hughes and Tryamkin (another year to wait to know on that one) and Juolevi and Risto on another pairing. More options than that course, but if we really had to shelter Risto then I'd want to take that pressure off a young guy and use Edler.

8 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Which is why taking Risto's 3 cheap-ish years over 5-7 more expensive Tyler Myers years would be a better idea for any team considering picking up a player like them. 

But then that all depends on the difference in cost to acquire them. Myers only costs money, but Risto will cost assets. It just depends on how much.

23 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

But then that all depends on the difference in cost to acquire them. Myers only costs money, but Risto will cost assets. It just depends on how much.

That's where the subject of the thread comes in.  Is the cost of Demko and possibly more worth it?

I have a high opinion of Demko and a lower than most opinion of Ristolainen so as far as I'm concerned, he wouldn't be worth Demko plus and the argument could be made that he isn't even worth Demko in a 1 on 1 trade. 

Some think Demko isn't ready to start in the NHL, but I think that next year he may surprise some people, especially if he puts in the time this summer with a goalie coach and continues to work on his positioning.

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Now is the time to trade Demko. He's got a lot of work to do before he gets even close to nhl ready. Trade him for the best prospect available while his value is high. 

dude has shown he is nhl ready, lol

he will prob get just under 30 games next season...not ready ???

I would trade dipietro in a package for a RD - one of the Carolina guys - dipietro _ Virtanen for Pesce

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

but if we really had to shelter Risto then I'd want to take that pressure off a young guy and use Edler.

Precisely the guy I had him paired with in the OP (at least to start).

Starting next fall with:

Edler, Risto (or another similar, young, right D)

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman/Tanev 

...would be a MAJOR upgrade.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:39 PM, smithers joe said:

i could see juolevi for ristolainin. a lefty for a righty. demko is an important part of the rebuild.  i don’t know if that would be a good deal, because i’ve never watched either of them play. 

I'd prefer we move Hutton for a righty if it's a D.

But otherwise, it's in goal we look to be most exposed at the ED. Hence the thread.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd prefer we move Hutton for a righty if it's a D.

But otherwise, it's in goal we look to be most exposed at the ED. Hence the thread.

So Hutton for a righty and then Demko for what? 

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

So Hutton for a righty and then Demko for what? 

Either one for a top 6 w'er, the other for the D.

Or both and move Tanev and no need for a right  side UFA :lol:

Or package both for what one would assume would be an upgrade at right D.

No thanks. The ED is the year after next, 2021, not his year. Markstrom has been amazing, but so is the potential of Demko. 8/9 games for Demko has been great for him in the NHL and he is going to come back better next season. Give it a couple years and see where we're at. Trying to accelerate this rebuild would be a mistake. We're going to have a bunch of desirable players for the ED, but I wouldn't give up on Demko for another couple of years. Likewise Virtanen, who everyone in the media is trying to trade.

Archived