The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson's 'friction'

Rate this topic

Dr. J.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're entitled to your opinion, but you speak like Benning was working alone in a vacuum. As Alf pointed out there was a mandate to do things on the fly. You seem to wilfully ignore the task he was given. 

Don't you know that when your boss tells you what he wants you to do, you can just ignore him, right?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're entitled to your opinion, but you speak like Benning was working alone in a vacuum. As Alf pointed out there was a mandate to do things on the fly. You seem to wilfully ignore the task he was given. 

Obtuse trolls troll obtusely. The other poster is firmly entrenched in his position about all things JB.

• Cheers 2

Maybe it could result in Eriksson being more agreeable to waiving sooner rather than in 2020 when his full NTC clause goes away.

This being said, there is still the cost of his contract ($6 million on the cap and $7 million salary this year) as opposed to the final three years ($6 million cap hit in each year, $5 million salary next year, and $4 million in each of the final two years). Perhaps a team looking for help reaching the cap floor and saving on salary would be interested?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I am well aware of their draft history.

Donato, Lindgren, Carlo, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Grezlyk, Cehlarik, Khochalev(not sure why he never got a shot), Spooner, Hutchinson are all fairly recent.  Sure it's been a long time to acquire the elite talents like Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic and Chara but you gotta start somewhere.  And just cause it took them a long time to find them, doesn't mean it will take us that long.  

The last 10 years the Bruins have made

12 2nd round picks

7  3rd round picks

The Canucks

7 2nd round picks

9 3rd round picks

Last 5 years(since Benning took over)

Bruins 

7 2nd round picks

3 3rd round picks

Canucks 

4 2nd round picks

5 3rd round picks

In the last 10 years they have missed the playoffs twice, we have missed it six times, and they are still out drafting the hell out of us.  When are we going to learn from our mistakes?  Seriously 

Sorry I didn't even realize we are in the Eriksson thread.  This can go in the "next 5 years and prospects thread". I'll post it there.

Something to check out is some of the trades made by the Bruins in that period of time: http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/team_list

The Bruins traded away several young players and some high picks, some of them very high draft picks (Seguin, Hamilton, 2018 1st, and so on).

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

How bad was the Eriksson signing?  In this thread the hatred of that signing has pitted CDC users against each other.

Could have been worse.... like Lucic for example. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Could have been worse.... like Lucic for example. 

I wonder if JB would trade a smelly Loui contract for a smelly Lucic contract, and get the Coil to add Pool Party to even it out?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if JB would trade a smelly Loui contract for a smelly Lucic contract, and get the Coil to add Pool Party to even it out?

I was thinking about that today.

something like: 

lucic

Pullijarvi

for

Erikson

Jasek

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not anymore, Holland is going to fleece Benning so badly, it’s not going to be pretty. And no, it’s not because of FA and the Canucks ownership this would happen.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

How bad was the Eriksson signing?  In this thread the hatred of that signing has pitted CDC users against each other.

Everything has pitted CDC users against each other.

For all we know, the next thing they'll argue about is about Horvat's wedding date and how that will impact his summer training.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I was thinking about that today.

something like: 

lucic

Pullijarvi

for

Erikson

Jasek

This is much more realistic, but I don't think Edmonton would need to swap pics as well. Jasek is an ok prospect but I think his ceiling is Jannik Hansen. Puljujarvi just turned 21 today and has 1st line potential. Edmonton can't just let Puljujarvi go for nothing but getting out of a contract. That's a PR nightmare, so they'd need another decent piece coming back their way. 

So I'd do Lucic + Puljujarvi for Eriksson and Jasek, hell I'd even throw in a 6th round pick since JB seems to have a tree of them growing in his back yard. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

I can't believe some are still figuring we should take on Lucic in exchange.  He is even less useful than Eriksson and has a longer contract to boot - plus as far as I know, his contract doesn't come with the advantage of paying out reduced real money like Eriksson's does.  Yeah I am fine with Poolparty but let's face it - he looks like a strong bust candidate.

To me, we are best off ridding ourselves of Eriksson via a cap floor team and just be done with it instead of trying to salvage a return.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I can't believe some are still figuring we should take on Lucic in exchange.  He is even less useful than Eriksson and has a longer contract to boot - plus as far as I know, his contract doesn't come with the advantage of paying out reduced real money like Eriksson's does.  Yeah I am fine with Poolparty but let's face it - he looks like a strong bust candidate.

To me, we are best off ridding ourselves of Eriksson via a cap floor team and just be done with it instead of trying to salvage a return.

If Poolparty looks like a bust then Juolevi and JV are even farther along the bust train but apparently JV is some kind of playoff monster and Juolevi is still being cooked. :bigblush:

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

If Poolparty looks like a bust then Juolevi and JV are even farther along the bust train but apparently JV is some kind of playoff monster and Juolevi is still being cooked. :bigblush:

Not sure how you figure that, but I will bite.

It is unfair to place bets on Juolevi at this point imo.  Between injury and not having NHL experience it is hard to say where he will end up - though I am less confident than some that he will amount to a even a solid 2nd pairing guy.  Remains to be seen, but even if he hits that ceiling many will consider him a relative bust anyway given his draft position.

As for Jake, I think the vast majority of us would agree he IS a bust compared to his draft position.  The thing about Jake is that he can play a heavy game and that translates well to remaining in the league at least as a bottom 6 player.

Puljujarvi has scored at a pace of a point every 4 games (A bit less than JV), and has been lucky to have been tried out with some rather talented players. While he has some size, he isn't nearly as imposing.  So in my mind, Jake has done more with less even if neither have impressed. Jake was also drafted at 6th as opposed to 4th which at least lessens the blow a little there too. Finally, Jake slowly appears to be improving whereas Puljujarvi has really not developed at all and actually noticeably regressed last season.

So I would say given stats and facts that neither player appears to be shaping up to be a bigger bust than Puljujarvi yet.

Puljarvi is a year younger than JV, that makes a huge difference in judging their development.

plus pool party was a strong enough prospect to be a bonafide number 3 well ahead of the other prospects. He was scouted that high for a reason. 

10 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Puljarvi is a year younger than JV, that makes a huge difference in judging their development.

plus pool party was a strong enough prospect to be a bonafide number 3 well ahead of the other prospects. He was scouted that high for a reason. 

Oh please... If you look at Jake's last season he is still outpacing Jesse Puljujarvi's development while being much better defensively and bringing a physical aspect to his game. Using your same rational, Jake Virtanen was drafted high for a reason. (also, JP was drafted 4th, not 3rd)

Now back to the Coilers forum with you!

Edited by Deets
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

4th.  But what difference does that make??   Yakupov was drafted 1st overall and we all know the storied career he went on to have. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Deets said:

Oh please... If you look at Jake's last season he is still outpacing Jesse Puljujarvi's development while being much better defensively and bringing a physical aspect to his game. Using your same rational, Jake Virtanen was drafted high for a reason. (also, JP was drafted 4th, not 3rd)

Now back to the Coilers forum with you!

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

4th.  But what difference does that make??   Yakupov was drafted 1st overall and we all know the storied career he went on to have. 

He was a bonafide number 3. Yes he dropped because of cbj reaching outside the board but he was ranked way ahead of the rest.

yes oilers might have ruined him but his potential was closer to laine and Matthews than juolevi and Dubois. 

Dont believe me, go read the scouting reports and comments on him including the ones made by your lover Benning. Lol I believe he said the top 3 can play right away and the rest were a few years off.

Anyways, all you have to do is watch them play. Pool party can receive a hard pass in stride easily while jV simply can’t.