The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Brendan Gaunce

Clearing away the flotsam and jetsom!

I guess we have to wait until the end of the playoffs to see much movement in actual NHL player movement.

We need to clear the decks a little in the bottom half of our roster as well as veterans AHLers.  Our kids need the development time and Cull has shown that he cares a lot more about how his winning percentage affects his future career than developing players for his current employer.  Take away his lifer AHL toys and force him to play the guys who have a chance at developing still.

If you haven't made any type of impact in the NHL 7 years after your draft year, your chances are pretty slim.  We have 10-15 more promising prospects than Gaunce.  Seems like a good kid, I hope the best for.

14 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Utica deal similar to what they did with Archie? I don't like him as an NHL player but hes a good AHL'r.

Gaunce is now a veteran of over 320 pro games and teams can only dress 5 per game + 1 between 260 and 320 pro games.  Bancks and Hamilton are already under contract for next season.  

Also the Canucks have too many Fs so who knows how many vets are going to end up being demoted to Utica if they can't find trade partners.

I liked Gaunce and what he brought but I agree, he is not fast enough for the team we are trying to put together.

I wish him luck wherever he ends up and I do hope he can put it together to find a regular job in the show.

Making room for the kids lol. Plus they want to add some ahl scorers to play with the kids

I am glad they are starting to clear the clutter.

Derrick Pouliot - Gone

Brendan Gaunce - Gone

Who's next?

No point having that much depth. Granlund I can see us looking to trade over letting walk. Spooner imo gets another season. Does Schaller? he did ok at times.

I imagine we'll either sign him on a two-way deal or at least a cheaper deal, or just let him go as a FA. He'll find a job in the AHL at the very least and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on another team's bottom six at some point over the next few years.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I imagine we'll either sign him on a two-way deal or at least a cheaper deal, or just let him go as a FA. He'll find a job in the AHL at the very least and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on another team's bottom six at some point over the next few years.

I have no rationale for this, but I bet he ends up on the Penguins 4th line by February.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Making room for the kids lol. Plus they want to add some ahl scorers to play with the kids

Gaunce is an AHL scorer. He puts up very solid top 6 numbers in Utica.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Clearing away the flotsam and jetsom!

I guess we have to wait until the end of the playoffs to see much movement in actual NHL player movement.

We need to clear the decks a little in the bottom half of our roster as well as veterans AHLers.  Our kids need the development time and Cull has shown that he cares a lot more about how his winning percentage affects his future career than developing players for his current employer.  Take away his lifer AHL toys and force him to play the guys who have a chance at developing still.

Pyatt will be gone. Will be interesting to see who else doesn't get signed. Boucher, Kero, McEneny, Mazanec and Leighton could all go unsigned with NHL deals and I could care less.

Id resign all our other RFA's (Granlund, Goldy, Motte, Leivo, Schenn, Edler, Hutton) and then create some competition in camp. If young guys look like they can take spots of others then make some trades or waive the worst players.

I think we all love the character of Gaunce.  He's clearly a fine young man.  He would have an NHL career if he accepted he has to be a harder guy to play against.  He needs to learn to hit to hurt guys, and fight too.  Gaunce is a much better hockey player than Schaller, but Gaunce is too soft.  

Archived