The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boeser not close to extension

Rate this topic

Patrick Jane

38 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Brock's college teammate, Nick Schmaltz, signed a 7 year contract for $5.85M per year. He has scored 6, 21 and 7 goals over the past three seasons and I think it would be a very tough argument to make that Brock is not worth more than that contract.If I am his agent, I would say Brock is worth at least $1M per season more than Schmaltz given their current production and trajectory.

Yes but that’s a bad comp because he was waaaay over paid. 

That being said, Brock’s agent will likely be pointing to Nylander as a comp, and sadly he was over paid as well. JB will point to Bo and the internal cap as his benchmark.

agent is going to want $8+ and short term and JB wants $6.5 AAV Long term as my guess. 

If his agent is demanding anything more than 7 million per year long term, I would pursue/consider trade options. If the rumors (obvious based on where he is from) of Minnesota's interest hold any truth, can try testing out the waters. 

To Min:

Boeser

To Van:

12th overall (2019)

Jordan Greenway

Filip Johansson (24th overall 2018)

6'6 227lb Greenway on EP's wing clearing up space could be a nice thought...

PURE speculation and what ifs for fun. Probably too much pressure from Aqua to make a trade like this digging further into a rebuild but just thinking out loud here. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

That being said, Brock’s agent will likely be pointing to Nylander as a comp, and sadly he was over paid as well. JB will point to Bo and the internal cap as his benchmark.

agent is going to want $8+ and short term and JB wants $6.5 AAV Long term as my guess. 

Two other players that are RFA's this summer that I believe Boeser would be compared to are Matthew Tkachuk and Timo Meier. Tkachuk is rumored to be paid anywhere between $6.75M and $8M on a long term contract. Meier is rumored to be around the $7M mark.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/05/what-does-william-nylanders-deal-mean-for-timo-meiers-next-contract-with-sharks/

https://thewincolumn.ca/2019/01/19/how-much-will-or-should-matthew-tkachuk-make-on-his-next-contract/

Do we wait and see what either of these players sign for or do we try to determine Brock's worth before their contracts are done? Personally, I hope we can get Brock signed before either of these two set the market too high. As a side note, Boeser has a higher goal per game and point per game average for his NHL career than either of these two.

35 minutes ago, Pears said:

Of course the anti Benning crew on twitter is currently losing their minds about this. 

I get it's slow but holy crap. This really set it off. For all we know this is the intial offer from both sides. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

no way Boeser gets more than Horvat or Edler at this point in the game. Like it or not, Bo and Alex are the uncontested heart and soul of this group (Petey, with 1yr under his belt a close 3rd).  Does Boeser deserve a raise? Absolutely! He can fire a puck, but he still hasn't proven himself to be the consistent playmaker like Horvat, or a calming influence like Edler. He better not get greedy at this point or it could spell disaster for both him and the Canucks.

IMHO, short 2-3 yr bridge deal of $5 or $5.x should get it done

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

no way Boeser gets more than Horvat or Edler at this point in the game. Like it or not, Bo and Alex are the uncontested heart and soul of this group (Petey, with 1yr under his belt a close 3rd).  Does Boeser deserve a raise? Absolutely! He can fire a puck, but he still hasn't proven himself to be the consistent playmaker like Horvat, or a calming influence like Edler. He better not get greedy at this point or it could spell disaster for both him and the Canucks.

Your post makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately Boeser's agent won't be looking at the internal Canucks' pay structure when asking for money.  

We have a top sniper on our hands here who (as someone already noted) isn't a play driver himself and still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side (he's young, still okay). 

If his camp wants anything more then 7 million per year, then forget buying up UFA years.  Sign him to a short bridge deal and let's see what he does over the next two years. 

Not concerned at all, we're not even to the draft yet. Most of what gets signed before July 1st is guys accepting their QO's or UFA's that you want to resign.

All the rest can wait till July to really negotiate, and the longer this goes, the better it is for Boeser as he'll have more ammunition from other contracts to use as a negotiating measurement. 

I think team supplied hair product is the issue.....Brock wants the Canucks to buy it but the Canucks are telling Brock to buy his own.

Pretty sure that's it.

1 hour ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

I agree. He's in that danger zone of we don't know what he is yet. Is he a 40-50 goal guy or a solid 25 goal player with 30 goal upside. If he's smart and believes in himself, which he is, and knowing he's getting to play with Petey for the rest of his career, take the short term, prove it out at 40 goals and paid big on the next one. Not that 5 mil isn't big.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W