The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

1 hour ago, Monteeun said:

If we are not able to get one of the two, what other defenceman can we get?

Via trade. But given the lack of trade chips Benning has, don’t expect a top pairing D. 

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks do not have the depth to trade assets for Karlsson. For the cost and considering the development timeline that should be focussed on 3 years out he does not make a lot of sense. Sign Edler for 3 years max, trade Tanev and give the TOI to the younger core which is developing. I like adding Schenn but another serviceable UFA d-man will suffice. I do not want Subban either. The thing about EK is how many minutes he needs. Spend those minutes on QH and Stecher. Use Edler, Hutton and Schenn to settle the backend down. Brisbois, Biega, Sautner, Rafferty, Teves and least we forget Joulevi all should get ice this year.  

This is true.  The time to look for a Karlsson is two to three years out, when our prospects are further developed and we have accumulated more assets, and have more developed assets playing on the team. When you have aggregated lots of assets and you want some crowning pieces is when you go for a Karlsson.  Gillis's timing was good in that regard, he had some good youngish pieces in Edler and Bieksa, a great vet in Salo, added a terrific young FA in Tanev, and picked up two exceptional undervalued pieces in Hamhuis and Ehrhoff. The Canucks gave up very little in assets to get Salo, Hamhuis and Ehrhoff. Sure wish he hadn't given up Grabner to get Ballard, though.  Oh well, not every deal works out.

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2019 at 10:15 AM, RRypien37 said:

Never disputed that. He is a gentle giant 95% of the time. I just want to move on from Edler, especially at his age and want for a longer term deal. 

And how would you replace him?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks do not have the depth to trade assets for Karlsson. For the cost and considering the development timeline that should be focussed on 3 years out he does not make a lot of sense. Sign Edler for 3 years max, trade Tanev and give the TOI to the younger core which is developing. I like adding Schenn but another serviceable UFA d-man will suffice. I do not want Subban either. The thing about EK is how many minutes he needs. Spend those minutes on QH and Stecher. Use Edler, Hutton and Schenn to settle the backend down. Brisbois, Biega, Sautner, Rafferty, Teves and least we forget Joulevi all should get ice this year.  

And if Broberg is not there for us at 10 OA trade down a few (if it's there) and draft Seider.  Or just draft Seider at 10 OA if Broberg is gone and there is not a chance to trade down. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And if Broberg is not there for us at 10 OA trade down a few (if it's there) and draft Seider.  Or just draft Seider at 10 OA if Broberg is gone and there is not a chance to trade down. 

Philadelphia has confirmed that they are hoping to draft a D.  They are particularly weak at RD.  They pick 11th.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Via trade. But given the lack of trade chips Benning has, don’t expect a top pairing D. 

Would u be ok with someone like klefbom? Or specifically a D like him not him exactly.

Edited by Monteeun

6 hours ago, mll said:

Philadelphia has confirmed that they are hoping to draft a D. 

Source?  for "Philadelphia" hopes?

I have to wonder how wise it is to tip a hand like that - or how believable it is when teams do.

Which is not to say that a RHD bpa wouldn't be advantageous to them, but I'm curious where you sourced this.

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

If we don't sign Edler, how about we sign both of them?

Hughes - Myers

Gardiner - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Schenn

Gardiner is a turnover machine. Cannot comment on Meyers. If Van signed both those d-men it would have to be with term and CAP hit. Not worth it. The timeline does not support your Meyers/Gardiner idea.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Source?  for "Philadelphia" hopes?

I have to wonder how wise it is to tip a hand like that - or how believable it is when teams do.

Which is not to say that a RHD bpa wouldn't be advantageous to them, but I'm curious where you sourced this.

About a week ago they did a pre-draft conference with Fletcher and AGM Brent Flahr where they touched several subjects.  That's not where I got it, but here's a quote from Brent Flahr that conveys the feeling that a D would be their preferred option assuming he's BPA.  They got caught in Minnesota when they went for needs and took Eriksson Ek over Boeser because he was a C.  

Charlie O'Connor behind the Athletic's paywall

“I think the way we look at it, we will take the best player at 11,” Flahr began, before acknowledging that organizational needs would not be ignored. “I think as we go in the draft, we have some young defensemen that are in the NHL right now, and a couple coming, but we’d probably like to add defenseman depth to our organization going forward, whether it’s at 11 or the second or third round, we will see. But again, if the best player is a left winger, we will address that.”

[...]  

And within that top 15, they currently have at least two defensemen in their top 10 — even though only one blueliner (Bowen Byram) is viewed as a lock to be taken in that range. If No. 11 comes around and Byram is the only defenseman off the board, the Flyers will have at least one player at that position who they rate as high-end staring them in the face.

----

Fwiw Poile the year they drafted Fabbro said ahead of the draft that they take BPA but were hoping for it to be Ds in the 1st 2 rounds - they got Girard in the 2nd round. The year before they said they wanted Cs. 

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

These guys, like most UFAs, won't be worth their full contracts.  Still, no team fully maximizes their cap space / talent. You can slightly overpay a bit to shore up a position of need, especially at key spots that are hard to acquire.  Navigating declining players on long term deals is part of the job of being a GM.  If we're all-in if/when these contracts become prohibitive, jettisoning them is part of the job and guys get it done all the time. 

On that note, a part of me seriously hates our fanbase because if we do sign Gardiner or Myers, twitter, HF and local media will crap all over them even if they're reasonably good players being paid 1.5 mil too much for a year or two too long.  They honestly don't have a chance.  I know most fans will be fair, but the loudest ones are already complaining about these guys and they aren't even on the team yet (and likely won't be.)

Personally, I don't really see the benefit of guys  like Gardiner (unless we lose Edler) or Zaitsev, but I'm willing to see how they do in a Canucks uniform before I throw a fit.. let alone over a rumour we might sign them. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

You can take take Myers off this. With the Jets unloading Trouba, they will have an easy time signing this guy and Laine.

Call me a pessimist but I can see Gardiner also staying in Toronto. They can’t sign Marner and that’s obvious. This will leave them more than enough to keep Gardiner. 

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You can take take Myers off this. With the Jets unloading Trouba, they will have an easy time signing this guy and Laine.

Call me a pessimist but I can see Gardiner also staying in Toronto. They can’t sign Marner and that’s obvious. This will leave them more than enough to keep Gardiner. 

I've actually heard Gardiner's most likely going to the states. I guess we'll find out soon enough though.