The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think Trouba only gets that return if he’s agreed to an extension with us.  Otherwise he’s only a rental.  Sure would be great to have a top pair of Trouba and Hughes though.  

Key with Trouba, beyond the yellow brick road? Is will he sign. No trade deal without an extension in place. 

Once he goes to arbitration, he will be UFA next year.  He would help us a ton.  But we wont win a cup this year. Not after we take Horvat +, or Boeser out of the line up to get him. Even if we add a stud forward UFA.

And he's rumoured to want to go to a US market in the East.

IMO, one of the key components; does JB have a feel that we can re-sign Tanev?  We're also sorta between a rock and a hard place with him. We desperately need him in the line up. But he's always hurt. And he's UFA next year.  

Tanev is always healthy in summer!

I believe one of our best moves is Tanev to TO. Maybe Columbus, still not terribly far from home for Chris. Someone else spculate on what return, I don't believe we could get Kapanen. But we probably could get Liljegren.  No doubt we could get the Russian righty. I would want Liljegren?

But if we're ''looking'' for top 6 forwards and top 4 D, I don't feel we will trade Tanev for a prospect.  

Many don't like Zaitsev on CDC.  His 36 points 2 years ago was what Edler put up leading us this year. I'm NOT saying he's as good as Edler. His tactical problem in TO was Gardiner and Reilly are better offensively. He's just mid tier offensively. So they gave offensive minutes to him, shutdown was tried, but he was not great at that.  If he's brought on as a 2knd or 3rd pair guy for our 2knd PP and offensive minutes. I think he'll be fine. Stecher will take the more robust minutes and kill penalties.  We also could get Zaitsev without giving up Tanev, even better?

I'm very envious of Philly acquiring Niskanen for a low cost.

He's EXACTLY what we needed. A 2 way right handed PMD, that can play any role. He's not an all star. But he's a very good, Edler calibre, right handed defenseman.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Coda said:

I have a sinking feeling that Jimbo is going to make a few signings and trades this offseason that will hamstring the canucks for years to come.  

I hope I'm wrong.  

I like to think he has learned from his mistakes 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think JB is going to get PK. Honestly, I’m ok with that as long as the core isn’t moved. 

Instant offense boost, big personality, big hits, big shot, big grin, loves the spotlight. 

What will Poile take in return?

2 minutes ago, babalu said:

Well Guddy is gone for a reason. Why take on another underperforming player on a long term contract

We do need a righty. Two actually as Tanev is not going to be healthy again. Zatisez would be cheap to acquire and isnt nealry as bad as everyone says. The way salaries are going his contract isnt even that bad. I want Meyers to be honest. But what is that going to take. 7 times 7? Would rather just see if Green can work with Z at 4.5 and maybe see what next July brings. Maybe Larsson?

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

We do need a righty. Two actually as Tanev is not going to be healthy again. Zatisez would be cheap to acquire and isnt nealry as bad as everyone says. The way salaries are going his contract isnt even that bad. I want Meyers to be honest. But what is that going to take. 7 times 7? Would rather just see if Green can work with Z at 4.5 and maybe see what next July brings. Maybe Larsson?

I am sure he's decent. Like a 5-6 guy. Good teams (which is what I hope we will be in the near future) don't pay bottom pairing defenceman 4.5 for 5 years. If he was making 2.5 mill he would be much more attractive as a depth guy. But he is overpaid which is the problem and why we shouldn't trade for him.

3 hours ago, Coda said:

I have a sinking feeling that Jimbo is going to make a few signings and trades this offseason that will hamstring the canucks for years to come.  

I hope I'm wrong.  

If the team stays as they are currently are set up they are hamstrung for years to come... something needs to change.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, rekker said:

I agree. For next year that dman should be Schenn. 

If Benning has to rely on Schenn then he has failed to find a suitable top 4 RHD.  He may re-sign but if things go according to plan, Shenn will be back in Utica imo

10 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

zaistev has a huge contract. We are already suffering from eriksson contract. Some one like anton stralman is better than zaistev on a 2 to 3 yr deal

ya, 5 @ 4.5 so getting Zaitsev should not be taken lightly.  I'm just saying that as a right shot D, he's a better fit than Ghost.  I'm not saying that I necessarily want him

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

IMO, one of the key components; does JB have a feel that we can re-sign Tanev?  We're also sorta between a rock and a hard place with him. We desperately need him in the line up. But he's always hurt. And he's UFA next year.  

Tanev is always healthy in summer!

I believe one of our best moves is Tanev to TO. Maybe Columbus, still not terribly far from home for Chris. Someone else spculate on what return, I don't believe we could get Kapanen. But we probably could get Liljegren.  No doubt we could get the Russian righty. I would want Liljegren?

But if we're ''looking'' for top 6 forwards and top 4 D, I don't feel we will trade Tanev for a prospect.  

Many don't like Zaitsev on CDC.  His 36 points 2 years ago was what Edler put up leading us this year. I'm NOT saying he's as good as Edler. His tactical problem in TO was Gardiner and Reilly are better offensively. He's just mid tier offensively. So they gave offensive minutes to him, shutdown was tried, but he was not great at that.  If he's brought on as a 2knd or 3rd pair guy for our 2knd PP and offensive minutes. I think he'll be fine. Stecher will take the more robust minutes and kill penalties.  We also could get Zaitsev without giving up Tanev, even better?

Boy did they ever miss the boat with Tanev. Can't imagine him having great value with how much time he's missed.

I don't see him being here long term, but I also don't see us making a soft deal if we're trading him. If I was a betting man I think we'll hold onto him & then he ends up leaving as a UFA. 

The problem with Zaitsev is the risk. Maybe he's a decent 4/5 but he's getting paid to be more than that. His struggling to move the puck doesn't work with how our team plays IMO, we all saw how last season went for Guddy.

If it wasn't for the contract I'd be more interested. But if you bring him in & he struggles then you've just added an anchor to your team. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If Benning has to rely on Schenn then he has failed to find a suitable top 4 RHD.  He may re-sign but if things go according to plan, Shenn will be back in Utica imo

I'm fine with Schenn as a stop gap one year bottom pairing dman. But ya. We need another LEGIT top four right side dman. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Yes, but he is also an objectively terrible Eastern biased reporter who has to find things to say about Western Canadian teams that he doesn’t bother staying up watching aside from highlights.

If anyone things they are getting a top 4 young D for Sutter and Goldobin, they are sniffing g too much glue.

We have trade chips, but folks aren’t going to like using them.  Virtanen, Demko, Juolevi, Dipietro, and 2020 picks are the most valuable currency that we have (and would be at all willing to discuss moving).  Our fodder like Goldobin, Sutter, Hutton, Spooner, Schiller, Biega, Granlund, and to a lesser extent Baertschi are just pieces that go in a deal to make contracts and dollars work as well as fit minor holes in the other team’s lineup.

I don't think JB overvalued anyone, I think that's mostly a media driven narrative.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lets go off this list. So I can't see Provorov, Sanheim, Pettersson or Foote being available.

Sanheim just had a breakout year & Provorov is part of Philly's core. Pittsburgh is trying to improve there defense also, I don't see how trading a young D they just acquired helps that. And TB has never seemed willing to part with a top prospect like Foote even when they are targeting good players. I also think Philly wouldn't wanna trade P. Myers, but I could see Morin being available.

Pesce, Hamilton & Ristolainen would cost a fair bit. What are our assets? I'm assuming Carolina would want offense, don't think Goldy or Jake is gunna cut it. As for Buffalo, I assume they'd be looking for a hockey trade not pieces/futures. Granted they might be a better fit than Carolina, but still what are we giving up?

Morin & Colin Miller intrigue me.

Morin has struggled, he'd be another reclaimation type like we've tried in the past with Poo, Larsen, Vey, Clendening, exc. But would be a cheaper option.

Colin Miller on the otherhand is a good target. Played top 4 mins in the past, RH shot. Fell out of favour in Vegas did he not? So probably a cheaper option than the Carolina guys, but Vegas will still want something. Reasonable cap hit at under 4 million with 2 years remaining. I imagine alot of times will be kicking tires here, but he'd be at the top of my list. 

Zaitsev I'm not really interested in. After the Gudbranson experiment why go for another guy who stuggles to move the puck. Zaitsev skates better & is probably a bit better defender, but he's still a bottom pair D (or borderline #4 at best). And his contract is an anchor lengthwise. Unless Toronto is sweetening the pot I hope we stay away. 

+1 for targeting Colin Miller.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Pesce, Hamilton & Ristolainen would cost a fair bit. What are our assets? I'm assuming Carolina would want offense, don't think Goldy or Jake is gunna cut it. As for Buffalo, I assume they'd be looking for a hockey trade not pieces/futures. Granted they might be a better fit than Carolina, but still what are we giving up?

Both teams need starting goalies IIRC.

I think Markstrom is the piece we'd be starting with and we'd have to add. And likely also have to 'overpay' with quantity for quality.