The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm very envious of Philly acquiring Niskanen for a low cost.

He's EXACTLY what we needed. A 2 way right handed PMD, that can play any role. He's not an all star. But he's a very good, Edler calibre, right handed defenseman.

Hes 32.  Doesnt fit the trajectory of this core.

Hell no to Zaitsev.  The guy is absolute garbage in his own zone, negating what little offense he does provide.  Hopefully Benning will have learned from Pouliot, Weber, and Larsen, and not bring in yet another defenseman incapable of playing defense.  Zaitsev is so bad in his own zone he'd struggle to make the Comets.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

As the playoffs prove, year in and year our, you don't win without older, experienced players.  Older players don't need to fit the trajectory of the core, they just need to play well and help the team win.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

They paid Radko frickin Gudas. That's like trading Sbisa (cough, because he was only getting paid $2.35 million) for a top pairing RHD.  

Niskanen's contract expires in 2 years.  

He would have been fantastic pick up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, babalu said:

TO is rumored to be looking at Colin Miller who is rhd on a similar contract. Cap reasons aren't the only reason they want to get rid of him. They are look8ng to upgrade because Zaitsev kinda sucks especially for the contract he has.

They have one of the weakest D cores in the league yet they want to get rid of a big dman? 

It’s more like they have to re-sign Marner and company after having dished out an albatross to JT and a huge contract to Nylander and Matthews, and having taken on that terrible Marleau contract.

Zaitsev is a cap dump, plain and simply. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Loui out

Hutton for a 2019 2nd + depth player/B level prospect

10th for 19th and 32nd

Try to package late round picks for a solid AHL/depth player

Draft 19th, 32nd, 40th, 45ish, 71st.  

Don't sweat spending big money in free agency because of all the ELC's we'll have coming in.  

If no big tickets sign here just sign more depth and stay the course.

See, easy.

I like the idea of dealing with Ottawa. I think it should cost them a bit more to jump 9 spots and into the top 10 and they might be more inclined to jump up as they want to make up for their loss of a potential top 4 pick. I like Ceci from Ottawa and the idea of taking on Zack Smith to be our "police". I don't know where they stand on Smith, but they did waive him last year in hopes of someone taking him for free.

So maybe 10, LE (to help them reach the cap floor), Spooner/Schaller (a one year cap balance) and a prospect for 19, 32, Smith and Ceci.

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Hell no to Zaitsev.  The guy is absolute garbage in his own zone, negating what little offense he does provide.  Hopefully Benning will have learned from Pouliot, Weber, and Larsen, and not bring in yet another defenseman incapable of playing defense.  Zaitsev is so bad in his own zone he'd struggle to make the Comets.

I agree 3000 

im not a fan nor a hater of JB but if he acquires Zaitsev and we we end up paying a premium for him instead of getting something more in return because we are blinded to see that Toronto actually wants to dump him. I’d be calling for his head. I don’t care if he does amazing things at the draft or not if something like this was to happen he should be gone or pay him a ton money to be head of scouting or something. But we can’t win with a GM that makes BS trades like this literally every trade he does. 

17 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Exactly.

I would love it if he dumped three players (Erikkson, Spooner, Granlund etc) and made a deal for Kapanen, and signed a 5/6 dman. I know that's asking a lot but I don't think they need any monster moves.

Now this is near impossible for JB to pull but how about picking up Zaitzev + Kapanen. Then flipping Zaitzev + 1.5 million retained to a team looking for D and getting a decent pick or trading to Vegas for Miller as they are up against the cap? Is the retaining enough to make Zaitzev an interesting enough 5/6 Dman? We have the cap room to eat that 1.5 for a few seasons and then we aren't stuck with that horrendous player but uses our cap to make a deal for a pick or maybe a trade to Vegas with something else added in.

As for LE, shop him to a team like Ottawa trying to make the cap floor. Pay his bonus and retain some salary to make it appealing for Melynak (sp).

I'd like to see Spooner dumped too. Granlund I don't know what to do with yet.

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I like the idea of dealing with Ottawa. I think it should cost them a bit more to jump 9 spots and into the top 10 and they might be more inclined to jump up as they want to make up for their loss of a potential top 4 pick. I like Ceci from Ottawa and the idea of taking on Zack Smith to be our "police". I don't know where they stand on Smith, but they did waive him last year in hopes of someone taking him for free.

So maybe 10, LE (to help them reach the cap floor), Spooner/Schaller (a one year cap balance) and a prospect for 19, 32, Smith and Ceci.

Ottawa is talking long term deal with Ceci.  They shouldn't have a problem to reach the floor.  There's noise that they want to bring back Spezza to mentor their kids.  Ceci was on a 4.3M deal last season.   They are missing 14M to the floor but have 8 players to add to reach 23 including extensions for Ceci and White.

Edited by mll

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Ottawa is talking long term deal with Ceci.  They shouldn't have a problem to reach the floor.  There's noise that they want to bring back Spezza to mentor their kids.  Ceci was on a 4.3M deal last season.   They are missing 14M to the floor but have 8 players to add to reach 23 including extensions for Ceci and White.

Last I heard they didn't want to pay him his extension cost with term, but that was a while back. If that's the new update then I guess Ceci is off the table.

Then the proposal still stands without Ceci and we take off the prospect and Spooner/Schaller. LE is a vet and a "mentor" :)

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Loui out

Hutton for a 2019 2nd + depth player/B level prospect

10th for 19th and 32nd

Try to package late round picks for a solid AHL/depth player

Draft 19th, 32nd, 40th, 45ish, 71st.  

Don't sweat spending big money in free agency because of all the ELC's we'll have coming in.  

If no big tickets sign here just sign more depth and stay the course.

See, easy.

If we can still get Seider at 19, then trading down to 19 (while getting 32) would be excellent.  

If Seider isn’t going to be there at 19 we pick him (or Broberg) at ten. 

38 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i’ld rather see the canucks pick up rfa roland mckeown and grow him as a top 4 defender. fits the age group. rather take that chance than sign high priced projects.

Ahh yes the Canuck draft pick that went to LA. At least our GM has learned to not give away picks when the team is no good. Too bad he couldnt acquire more of them over the past 2-3 years. We are trending up but we need to be smart this off season with our spending, can't overpay UFA's who arent worth big deals like Gardiner or Myers...would be a big mistake to be locked in to those guys

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ahh yes the Canuck draft pick that went to LA. At least our GM has learned to not give away picks when the team is no good. Too bad he couldnt acquire more of them over the past 2-3 years. We are trending up but we need to be smart this off season with our spending, can't overpay UFA's who arent worth big deals like Gardiner or Myers...would be a big mistake to be locked in to those guys

I think JB has learned a hard lesson:  draft picks are the golden ticket to a successful rebuild.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think JB has learned a hard lesson:  draft picks are the golden ticket to a successful rebuild.  

all teams make mistakes, but the more picks you have the better the chance at finding those gems that turn out for you

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

all teams make mistakes, but the more picks you have the better the chance at finding those gems that turn out for you

Yup.  Picks are like turning over rocks.  Usually it’s only bugs underneath, but every once in a while you find a gem.  

• Upvote 1

I’m with what appears to be the consensus here. Overall we need to stay the course. I don’t believe that Ghost or even EK are the players we need. We have strong Centers (EP and Bo) decent goaltending and one first line winger. While I’d love to see another superstar in Canuck colours I don’t expect the price to be in line with what we need now. 

One bug splash in free agency may be enough to get into the playoffs, it doesn’t remake the entire defence core. We need at least one high level winger, an actual top defence pair and a real partner for Hughes as well. Hughes May be a top Dman but he isn’t right now. I strongly think we should sign Edler short term, get rid of as much baggage as we can for whatever we can get. 4th founders are worth more than some of our “trade chips”. Play guys like Virtannen in offencive roles where he will either blossom or at least get a few more points by accident and increase his trade value at the deadline. Big acquisitions should only be made once we are truly competitive and stay the course. Always watch the secondary UFA market and trades with cap strapped teams but only pull the trigger if it’s an obvious win with only short term pain. I want to see a true contender in 2-3 years, not one and done this year. 

• Cheers 2