The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jordie Benn to hit free agency

Wasn't he a regular healthy scratch on a mediocre team?  

Pass.

Edit:  apparently not scratched all that often (perhaps I remember that from previous years) but I still think I'd rather sign Schenn first. 

Edited by Fanuck

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Pass.

Benn played 81 games last season and 77 games the year before.  He was in and out of the Stars line-up before joining the Habs but he seemed to get a decent amount of playing time in.

From what I have seen of Benn, he's a reasonable defensive D.  I'm not sure what the Canucks are after now that they have locked up Edler though.  They still have Hutton to consider and, if anything, they need to improve the right side which adding Benn would not help with.

I'm not against the Canucks signing Benn for depth but that depends entirely on what happens to the existing players they have control over.

Jordie has been solid for the habs lately. Espeacially when they let him play bottom pairing. He covered minutes above his head decently, but struggled when put too high. 

Despite that, he had a career year this year. Good enough that he is apparently aiming for roughly 3x3 or higher. Habs like him, and would bring him back if he was asking for something lower/affordable.

No way he signs here for the low price we would want. We should pass. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Pass.

81 games played last year, 77 year before, decent numbers, has generally been a + player in +/- over the years.

I'd take a shot at him if the number is right. He's not going to radically redefine our defense, but he's not a bad 5/6 option.

Unless he signs to be the 7/8 guy there's no fit here with Hutton, Hughes and Edler somewhat penciled in (assuming no further deals are done for lefties). We still have guys like Sautner, Brisebois etc looking to graduate into the NHL as well so the 7/8 job is pretty crowded too.

Toronto could use the Hainsey replacement though. And honestly he'd probably be an upgrade on Gardiner in the defense department. If they can't move Zaitsev Benn can babysit him.

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

If Hutton is traded I wouldn't mind adding Benn. Bring on both Benn and Schenn and we upgrade our toughness at the back end. 

THIS.

Move Hutton, sign Benn to play third pair/spare. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1