The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think coaches hate playing their wingers on off wings because in their defensive zone they have to take an outlet pass on their backhand meaning they can't see the middle of the ice as well, they are on their backhands quite often when breaking out which can lead to turn overs, and also you can't protect the puck as well

As an ex player who played the  off wing, I loved it, because your offensive shooting angles are better. Green seems to prefer playing his players on their strong side vs offwing

The great Red Army teams of the 1970’s had no right shot players.  (Except Tretiak, the goalie) 

Great players can play on the off wing, or D side. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Reminds me of a big body like ROR was in the playoffs. Goes to the net strong, finds openings in the dirty areas. But with a snipers edge.

2 years in the K will be better than Utica. He'll get more PP and 1st line starts. More open ice to work on creativity. Less meathead physical grinding in the K than in the AHL.

Less injuries too probably. Bigger ice will let him work on his skating. 

Nice points, HK!

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe I attended that draft. Probably the most lacklustre draft ever in terms of movement.

Leave it to Vancouver for that to happen in after the most hype and activity ever really heading into it. 1 measly trade was made to move up in the middle that’s it. Got relatively quiet after the Canucks selection. Pretty disappointing in that sense. I guess I can say I at least attended quite literally a “draft” :lol: 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think Podkolzin was their player until he fell into their laps.

I'm thinking if Podkolzin and Zegras were gone then he would have made the trade. I also wonder if Broberg was big on their list.

Well they had his name on the jersey they gave him. I wonder how many names they had done up beforehand ;) 

Edited by Gnarcore

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The great Red Army teams of the 1970’s had no right shot players.  (Except Tretiak, the goalie) 

Great players can play on the off wing, or D side. 

I know, I am just saying what coaches prefer- and green has shown that

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

so - Podkolzin could wind up remaining a left shot right winger.

I don't think you understand my point.

What I was explaining was how coaches tend to prefer players playing on their strong side, and Green has shown this preference. What I prefer, means little as, last I checked, I am unfortunately, not running the Canucks!

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

amazed a 51g chl player is still on the board

Shhhh.. Wai Lai please don't talk about this openly.  

We going to take him tomorrow. 

We got the Russian. Let's take the Uzbek and make it a pair of Soviet blooded Canucks in first 2 rounds. 

52 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

So who out of this list should Benning select next round?

I’ve been hyping Puistola for the 2nd round pick for a couple months now. However I didn’t think Dorofeyev or Brink would be available in the 2nd round. Also really like the motor on Rees. So any of those 4 guys!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1