The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

trade him now while his value is high? am I doing that right?

Almost. You forgot to rant on his being russian, and how they never pan out here 'cuz Shirokov and stuff... plus, if we didn't trade him, how would that improve our chance at a lottery pick!?!?!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Almost. You forgot to rant on his being russian, and how they never pan out here 'cuz Shirokov and stuff... plus, if we didn't trade him, how would that improve our chance at a lottery pick!?!?!

meh, this discussion is pointless. We all know he'll never sign here. Russians... who needs 'em. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

With Greener preferring to play people on their strong side, will Podz play LW?  What do you all think?  B)

There are some interesting future roster options where playing Podkolzin at LW make a tonne of sense.

For example, if Kole Lind becomes a top-6 quality RW, and Boeser, Virtanen, and MacEwen are all still components of the team, then RW could be awfully crowded (especially if Gaudette is also in the RW mix, if he’s not at centre).

Could make for a situation where Podkolzin fills a greater need at LW.

And, with Höglander and Podkolzin at LW in the top-6, and good overall depth on the wings, it could open up JT Miller to be used as a centre option for an offensively productive third line, resulting in a very deep top-9 that can score in waves.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Removed discussion of McDonough. While I still like the idea of using his shot on his off wing, it’s unlikely he’d be played at RW, except on the power play, and like plays evens at his natural LW

I imagine opposing teams are gonna hate this guy. Not because he’s a dirty player, but because he’s an absolute horse on the defensive side of the puck. He’ll be a nightmare for dmen to deal with on the forecheck. Also doesn’t seem like much of a pushover which is a nice change of pace. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Kenny & Sid.  Do you think Podz starts in the top nine or will he be similar to Bo and start on the forth line.  Hogz has been a surprise but Podz may not be as productive to start.  What do you think?  B)

37 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Kenny & Sid.  Do you think Podz starts in the top nine or will he be similar to Bo and start on the forth line.  Hogz has been a surprise but Podz may not be as productive to start.  What do you think?  B)

I think it's irrelevant at this point. Once the coaches, whoever they are at that stage of the game, they will be the ones to make those choices. Otherwise, everything is speculation. 

45 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Podz and Hogz are going to be such dynamic wingers for Boz.

Boz has a lot of work cut out ahead of him to keep up with high energy players like Podz and Hogz.

He better keep his feet moving and make good plays to help to keep the puck possession in the offensive zone.

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Boz has a lot of work cut out ahead of him to keep up with high energy players like Podz and Hogz.

He better keep his feet moving and make good plays to help to keep the puck possession in the offensive zone.

I have no worries for a shoot first centre like Bo. Podz and Hogs will just dig out pucks and set up Bo.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I think he starts top nine as I imagine Greener will be a fan of his game (that’s assuming he’s still here). That being said, I think you could plug him in anywhere and he would contribute. 

23 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I think he starts top nine as I imagine Greener will be a fan of his game (that’s assuming he’s still here). That being said, I think you could plug him in anywhere and he would contribute. 

Where is Gadjovich going to slot in. He is having a great year to date. Big guy and he likes the front of the net!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Where is Gadjovich going to slot in. He is having a great year to date. Big guy and he likes the front of the net!

I think Pod gets the longer leash between the two, but it’s so nice to see Gadjovich with the good start in Utica. Great to have some quality size and skill in the pipelines, this team needs it bad. Wish we had a little more nasty in our current lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I think Pod gets the longer leash between the two, but it’s so nice to see Gadjovich with the good start in Utica. Great to have some quality size and skill in the pipelines, this team needs it bad. Wish we had a little more nasty in our current lineup. 

Podkolzin plays either wing. Fortunately, the cap issues will force JB to take away Green’s security blankets - Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, and replace them with younger, cheaper players. That will leave room for guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Jasek, McDonough, Kunz, Michaelis to fight it out over forward spots. Not wishing him any ill will, but Ferland’s ongoing concussion problems  might cause him to seek other employment - which is too bad, we need a guy with his aggression and willingness.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Podkolzin plays either wing. Fortunately, the cap issues will force JB to take away Green’s security blankets - Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, and replace them with younger, cheaper players. That will leave room for guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Jasek, McDonough, Kunz, Michaelis to fight it out over forward spots. Not wishing him any ill will, but Ferland’s ongoing concussion problems  might cause him to seek other employment - which is too bad, we need a guy with his aggression and willingness.

Nice to know we have some depth with potential. You’re spot on with Ferland, would be nice to have him healthy and in the lineup. Would help guys play a little bigger and meaner. 

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

Podkolzin    Horvat            Hoglander 

Gadjovich   Jasek             Lind

Motte.         Beagle           MacEwen

That would be my preference (would mean the departure of Sutter, Pearson. Jake and Gaud, though).  If this setup would be contemplated, then in Utica for the remaining games  swap Gadjovich for Baertschi and let that trio gain some traction as a line.  Motte and Beagle already have great chemistry together.  And coming thru the system would be Focht, Costmar and my man, Linus, at Center and Lockwood, McDonough, etc on the wings

Edited by Googlie

33 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

Podkolzin    Horvat            Hoglander 

Gadjovich   Jasek             Lind

Motte.         Beagle           MacEwen

That would be my preference (would mean the departure of Sutter, Pearson. Jake and Gaud, though).  If this setup would be contemplated, then in Utica for the remaining games  swap Gadjovich for Baertschi and let that trio gain some traction as a line.  Motte and Beagle already have great chemistry together.  And coming thru the system would be Focht, Costmar and my man, Linus, at Center and Lockwood, McDonough, etc on the wings

We want to upgrade the bottom-6...

• Like 1