The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What are WPG fans thinking losing Trouba and now maybe Myers? At least we have Poink? 

Some teams just grow into being too rich (while others spend themselves into trouble).

Pionk imo is pretty damn good though imo  - and they still have Byfuglien, so they could sign a good veteran RHD (good options on the market - and not be terribly behind, particularly if they can improve their left side where they were shallower last year.   I think it's a good market for buying so maybe Wpg gets a Stralman, and add a LHD (Morrissey is one of my favorites, and Kulkov - last year they had Chiarot, Morrow, Beaulieu - I think that they haven't signed or qualified any of them, they appear to be intent on changes to their left side.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He has 36 and 31 points in his last couple of seasons on a much better offense team than ours. I get that he will get more minutes, but how does that equate to closer to 50 points?

Let's keep expectations in check here. I'll be estatic with 35 points and some solid defending. Pretty much an Edler on the right side. I don't even think he's going to be as good as Edler, but he should be effective in a balanced defense group.

Better offensive team but he wasn’t getting too PP unit time. It was either Byfuglien or Trouba.

He might get some good looks as a RH one timer option on the point.

34 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Roster's finally starting to look pretty solid.  Decent balance of speed, skill, size, and grit throughout now.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Pearson

Leivo Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle Gaudette

(Roussel, Eriksson)

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher

(Juolevi)

Quite decently filled out, injuries notwithstanding.  Definitely possibilities for trades if opportunities to upgrade come up.  Do whatever it takes to turf Eriksson, clean up others like Granlund and Goldobin, and hopefully we see some development from the AHL prospects over the summer as well.

I don’t mind that lineup at all. A definite improvement over last season. If we can only stay healthy. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, thecoolstuff said:

Edler - Tanev

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Stecher

Looks good to me!

Yeah it's all fun and games until Edler and Tanev go down for 1/4-1/2 the season.

We need to upgrade on Tanev.  Far too unreliable.  He does us no good from the pressbox.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Better offensive team but he wasn’t getting too PP unit time. It was either Byfuglien or Trouba.

He might get some good looks as a RH one timer option on the point.

It might be an option if we go back to a two dman set up. If we stick to one, then he might not get any looks on the PP with Edler and Hughes taking that on. Whatever the case, he isn't being brought here to be an offensive dman. If he puts up decent numbers, that's an added bonus.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah it's all fun and games until Edler and Tanev go down for 1/4-1/2 the season.

We need to upgrade on Tanev.  Far too unreliable.  He does us no good from the pressbox.

We will, and sooner than later.  Last year for him coming up, and ideally shortened not by injury but by trade.  Barring any trades, what we need is for the Utica prospects to step up, even if 1 or 2 of them can show themselves capable of full-time NHL work, with Juolevi the headliner.

Honestly I think a change of scenery will be good.. I wanted Myers on this team when WPG got him. I think he'll surprise some people, especially seeing how refreshing it was finally having a big body in Schenn. Myers brings more toughness on D than we've had in a long time.

Either way, I cant wait for him to sign somewhere. So sick of people complaining and bashing Myers and Benning. Its been the offseason of whining so far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

That's a great point but can the health be improved with a more balanced line up?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It might be an option if we go back to a two dman set up. If we stick to one, then he might not get any looks on the PP with Edler and Hughes taking that on. Whatever the case, he isn't being brought here to be an offensive dman. If he puts up decent numbers, that's an added bonus.

Edler needs to have his offensive expectations scaled back, especially on the PP. Myers and Hughes hopefully will be doing the heavy lifting. 

13 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

Myers is taller than Gud44, but he is not even half as tough as Guddy. 

Myers is not being brought here for his truculence. He's a defender that can handle the bigger forwards and clear the crease positionally. He's not exceptional, but better to have a guy that is 6'8 229lbs handling the power forwards rather than someone who's 5'9. Myers can skate decently, Gudbranson wasn't able to keep up unfortunately and needed/wanted more support.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We will, and sooner than later.  Last year for him coming up, and ideally shortened not by injury but by trade.  Barring any trades, what we need is for the Utica prospects to step up, even if 1 or 2 of them can show themselves capable of full-time NHL work, with Juolevi the headliner.

I'm perfectly fine with Juolevi, Rafferty, Sautner and Brisebois getting 'fill in' games this year.

That's on top of Biega and whatever other depth guy Benning has in his sights.

Then closely followed by Rathbone, Tryamkin, Woo etc. It's nice to see the depth Benning's been building start to arrive.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

&^@#ing hell.

Oh well, as much as I don't want us to sign Myers, if he is a Canuck tomorrow, then I'll be rooting for him but man.

I want Myers to make me eat $&!# but I doubt I will.

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

Edler needs to have his offensive expectations scaled back, especially on the PP. Myers and Hughes hopefully will be doing the heavy lifting. 

Edler has the instincts and the shot. However, he's never really had anyone to challenge his spot. Hughes and Myers to an extent could change that, but until then Edler is still a reliable go-to PP guy. It may be good to lower Edler's minutes a bit though and that may help lower his mileage to get more out of him. Myers taking on more PK minutes from Tanev should hopefully have the same/similar effect.