The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal Offer Sheets Aho

Cash bonus 21 million straps them down.due September ?

i don’t think they can match it right now

Montreal has 12 picks in next draft this was total stealth. I have a new respect for Habs GM

Edited by bobbyg43

8 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It absolutely gets hung up on.   There are two high priced cap dumps in there.  

It would cost the Canucks a 2nd and Demko just to get rid of Loui and Sutter.  

So basically Boeser for Aho.   

Carolina says no 9.9 times out of 10. 

I guess people missed the part this year where it cost the leafs a 1st rd pick yo get rid of Marleau. I guess we’re special though, everyone loves the Canucks and wants to give them a great deal :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see that as a problem. The players understand the nature of the business. Any one of them would be lying if they say they wouldn’t sign a deal with those kind of bonuses.

Carolina will match anyways. They’re more likely going to be happy that they won’t lose their star player.

They lose too much money to make it a slam dunk they match imo, I see them walking on this one

2 minutes ago, Habs4Life said:

Not sure if Carolina should be mad at Montreal or should be thanking them. They should match that offer sheet easily.

The upfront cash might be too much for Carolina, and the compensation is nothing for Aho. If I am Carolina I am furious, unless the money is nothing. The cap hit is reasonable for Aho but for a cash strapped team the deal does Carolina no favors. Very strategic move by Montreal.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

What's this 10 game rule everyone is talking about with Boeser?  

He did not play more than 10 games in his first year, because of that he is not eligible for arbitration and he can not be offersheeted.

Just now, HKSR said:

What's this 10 game rule everyone is talking about with Boeser?  

He didn't play 10 games or more his first year so he has no arbitration rights and can't be given an offersheet. Same rule will apply for Hughes. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

They lose too much money to make it a slam dunk they match imo, I see them walking on this one

No chance.

At the very worst it means they’re going to have to cut some salaries and some costs over the next few seasons.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

They might but I really think the Canes have to match.

They've made tremendous progress re-establishing a connection with their fanbase this year. Letting their best player walk because of a hefty signing bonus would not be a good look for them. It will absolutely hurt their pocketbook but it's still better than the cost of letting Aho walk.

1 minute ago, Habs4Life said:

Not sure if Carolina should be mad at Montreal or should be thanking them. They should match that offer sheet easily.

He becomes UFA after 5 yrs. They will match. No team would let a player like Aho go for peanuts.  

20+ mill in 1st year. 

Other teams will do him favour for waiting 7 days to match so their players don't get offer sheets. Likely throw him a bone at trade deadline give him a good deal in a trade. 

Bergevin will be black listed. He's not going to have an  easy time making trades moving forward. 

• Haha 1

No chance.

At the very worst it means they’re going to have to cut some salaries and some costs over the next few seasons.

No chance is silly, $21mil is A LOT to a cash poor team like the Canes. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

If Carolina matches they potentially have a locker room issue now. How will Aho’s teammates feel about him signing with another team? 

Lots of players have been offer-sheeted and had no issues: Webber, Ohlund, etc. Carolina should have just given him what he was asking for from the get-go. But I still think Carolina matches because he's their best player.

• Cheers 1

Except Sutter isn’t a cap dump like many jaded Canucks fans believe

He's missed a full season over the last 2 years, I wouldn't necessarily say it's jaded to question his value at this point.