The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

On 9/22/2020 at 9:05 AM, Fred65 said:

The late round picks are all scouts picks and we have been able to identify some good youngster before, but the scouting group have changed so I'm not sure what we can expect this year

Scouting department has been somewhat switched up every year since the Juolevi draft. Who we have scouting doesn't seem to matter, the process they have when scouting and evaluating players seems to be working regardless of the stability of who we have scouting.

33 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I had a thought yesterday - there must be some draft eligible players whose seasons have started up overseas already. I guess some bonus scouting time for these players?

Absolutely. KHL guys are getting a second look... guys like Marat Khusnutdinov have played in the KHL/MHL. Khusnutdinov was projected as a first round pick but might slide. ON the other hand, dman Shakir Mukhamadullin was projected as going anywhere in the 2nd-3rd round but has put up 4 points in 10 games with Ufa and might be on the rise. You could definitely see more KHL/MHL/SHL guys move up in ranks based on recency bias. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Absolutely. KHL guys are getting a second look... guys like Marat Khusnutdinov have played in the KHL/MHL. Khusnutdinov was projected as a first round pick but might slide. ON the other hand, dman Shakir Mukhamadullin was projected as going anywhere in the 2nd-3rd round but has put up 4 points in 10 games with Ufa and might be on the rise. You could definitely see more KHL/MHL/SHL guys move up in ranks based on recency bias. 

I just want to see him drafted based on name alone

On 9/23/2020 at 3:46 PM, N7Nucks said:

Scouting department has been somewhat switched up every year since the Juolevi draft. Who we have scouting doesn't seem to matter, the process they have when scouting and evaluating players seems to be working regardless of the stability of who we have scouting.

I'm honestly really excited to see who the Canucks draft this year despite not having a first and second. Plus I'm really curious to see what the scouting team can do without Judd Brackett. 

Senators' GM Dorion comes from a scouting family and climbed the ranks as a scout.  His take on this year's draft:

"We did our homework, and in this plan of the rebuild we always felt that this 2020 draft would be one of the deepest that's come along in many years," Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said.

"We always knew this would be one of the better drafts in the last 10-20 years and that's the reason why we stockpiled those picks," Dorion said. "We wanted to get ready for it. We feel that we're in a very good position. I think we're in a good position to help our rebuild, our long-term success, by stockpiling so many picks for this year's draft. We feel it's a very good, quality draft. We feel that in the top 15-20 you're going to get really good NHL players. In the top three rounds we feel you're going to get real solid NHL players too.

10 minutes ago, babalu said:

Eh we could get a goalie in the later rounds like Dyland Garand or take a chance on one of the Russian tendys like Akhtyamov.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/473852/dylan-garand

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529802/artur-akhtyamov

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-2020-nhl-draft/c-319267548?fbclid=IwAR2EVhLcqaa5eNQdvCb_IL0BpbnCzlA8FxwGsddNn9zxvoWKScz1QobMw6Y

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways: the 2020 Draft will be unlike any the NHL has ever had.

Similar to the NFL Draft, the NHL Draft will be entirely virtual. League video conference calls will originate from the NHL Network Studios in New Jersey, meaning commissioner Gary Bettman won't be hearing any boos live. He almost certainly would have if the draft was still being held at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.

Canucks management and scouts will be in Vancouver for the draft, hoping to unearth a few diamonds in the rough. Vancouver's first pick in the draft comes in the 3rd round, 82nd overall, before 4th (113th), 5th (144th), 6th (175th) and 7th (191st) round picks round out the team's five selections.

Why are the Canucks without a 1st or 2nd round pick? Read this.

Five picks are the fewest the Canucks have had since the 2012 NHL Draft, and this is the first draft since 2010 that Vancouver is without a 1st round pick. According to Assistant General Manager John Weisbrod, the Canucks are exploring a lot of options to regain a few draft picks for next week.

"Certainly we'd like to get an opportunity to pick sooner and certainly those possibilities still exist," said Weisbrod. "We're in here all day, every day, and there's a lot going on, and we'll just keep plugging away and see how it pans out. There could be all kinds of change between now and then. We're working on it."

While Weisbrod and GM Jim Benning work out possible ways to recoup picks, Todd Harvey is leading the way behind the scenes to ensure the Canucks are ready whenever they make their first selection.

Harvey, a 45-year-old former NHLer who played 671 games with the Dallas Stars, New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks and Edmonton Oilers, has been an Amateur Scout with the Canucks for three seasons. Vancouver let go of Amateur Scouting Director Judd Brackett this past May, leaving a void in the scouting department. Weisbrod said Harvey is filling that role for this upcoming draft and has been doing an incredible job preparing the scouting team.

"We obviously didn't make any tangible changes in light of everything that was going on with the pandemic at the time that Judd left, but Jim made it clear very immediately that he thought Harv would do a good job leading the group," said Weisbrod. "He's been making sure that everybody has stayed organized and understood the scouting criteria and the mission for the different positions and different players. Harv is a really good person and he's really well liked and I feel like the chemistry and discussion in the group has been fantastic, even on Zoom. I feel like Todd's presence and leadership has had a big effect on that."

Harvey, who will join the Canucks brass in person in Vancouver this weekend, said this is by far the most responsibility he's ever had for an NHL Draft. From working as a crossover scout and seeing many potential Canucks draft picks play live, to figuring out the intricacies of large group Zoom calls and prospect interview calls, it's been an interesting 2020 for the product of Hamilton, Ontario.

"I'd say it's the longest draft in history," laughed Harvey. "Everybody is in the same boat, we obviously didn't get a lot of the views at the end of the year in playoffs, which are important views, and obviously we missed out on the 2020 IIHF Under-18 Men's World Championship in Plymouth, to get some final views on guys, but we're all in the same boat, so we've had to resort to some video, which has been good. We've used a lot of video to compare guys."

Video has served the Canucks well in their preparations, more so for goaltenders and defenceman than forwards, however. With cameras following the puck during play, forwards leave the screen more often and it can be a challenge to see how they react to things away from the puck. That has been a change, said Harvey, as has overall meeting dynamics for Vancouver's staff.

Typically management, coaches and scouting staff would gather every day for a week in the same room to create their top secret draft list. The in-person discussions can get heated, which is good, and Vancouver's recent draft success means their recipe has been working.

It's been a slightly different dynamic over Zoom.

"Not being in the same room and being able to have a meeting like we usually do, trying to work with the Zoom calls and having everybody on it, that's been a big change," said Harvey, who said that despite these challenges, the extra three months of bonus prep time for the draft has been hugely beneficial. "You can dig in on guys more. It's been good with the video, all the scouts can see everybody play, whereas usually the regional guys don't get to see guys outside their region, but with this they've had opportunities to see other players and compare them with players in their region. It's definitely not ideal, but everybody has been involved in the process and we're working towards putting together the best list we can."

Speaking of the draft list, how's it coming along?

"We're feeling pretty good," said Harvey. "We've been grinding here the last little while and putting the finishing touches on it and I think our guys have done a real good job progressing with the list. We're just tidying things up and getting it all ready and we're going to hopefully get some good players here.

Todd Harvey was formally with the Guelph Storm as an assistant coach until 2017 when he was hired on as an amateur scout.

Sounds like his role was CHL/OHL based scouting, so I would not be surprised if the Canucks went more CHL based this coming draft with it under his command.

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-2020-nhl-draft/c-319267548?fbclid=IwAR2EVhLcqaa5eNQdvCb_IL0BpbnCzlA8FxwGsddNn9zxvoWKScz1QobMw6Y

Todd Harvey was formally with the Guelph Storm as an assistant coach until 2017 when he was hired on as an amateur scout.

Sounds like his role was CHL/OHL based scouting, so I would not be surprised if the Canucks went more CHL based this coming draft with it under his command.

I hope not. CHL has not been a good path for our North American prospect pipeline. (Legend) --> NHL NHL POTENTIAL BUST

CHL:
Horvat
Virtanen
McCann
MacEwen

---------
Juolevi
Lind
Gadjovich
Dipietro

Focht
Woo

Brisebois
Chatfield

----------

Shinkaruk
Fox
Keppen
Palmu
Candella
Stukel
Zhukenov
Neal
Cassels
Subban
Gaunce
Mallet

Brassard

Abols

Candella
McKenzie

Olson
Pettit
Stewart

Williamson
Liberati

USHL/NCAA:
Boeser
Hughes

Gaudette

Demko
Hutton

Stecher

----------

Lockwood
Rathbone
Madden
Rafferty
Malone
McDonough

-------------

Thiessen

Europe:

Pettersson

------------
Jasek
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Plasek
Costmar

Manukyan
Tryamkin

-----------

Utunen

Forsling
Cederholm

We've had one undrafted player make the NHL as a regular (and that's a stretch for MacEwen at this point, but one I'm comfy with) from the CHL. Everyone else has been first rounders. 

Compare that with USHL/NCAA where we've had 5, and could easily end up with 8 none first rounders making the NHL as regulars. 

Petey is our only drafted European player to be an NHL regular at this point. But we should see at least 2 more, and all of them were projected first rounders...

This team needs to stick to its guns which is NCAA/USHL
46% of NCAA USHL picks have become NHL Regulars
That number could rise to 64% if Rathbone, and Madden make it too.
Only 2 of those picks were 1st rounders!!!

CHL is about 10% (Only 1st rounders made it)
Europe is about 9% (Only 1st rounders made it)

The difference is incredible. 

• Cheers 1

Kuznetsov if available would be a good pick...to play with Tryamkin and to be his Vodka drinking buddy along with Putsgoalsin.

I think the Canucks should focus on Dmen....might be a better chance of finding a diamond in the rough.

“Haroshey tebe nedeli!”...I wish you have a good week!

Edited by Pete M

On 10/2/2020 at 1:12 AM, Derp... said:

I hope not. CHL has not been a good path for our North American prospect pipeline. (Legend) --> NHL NHL POTENTIAL BUST

CHL:
Horvat
Virtanen
McCann
MacEwen

---------
Juolevi
Lind
Gadjovich
Dipietro

Focht
Woo

Brisebois
Chatfield

----------

Shinkaruk
Fox
Keppen
Palmu
Candella
Stukel
Zhukenov
Neal
Cassels
Subban
Gaunce
Mallet

Brassard

Abols

Candella
McKenzie

Olson
Pettit
Stewart

Williamson
Liberati

USHL/NCAA:
Boeser
Hughes

Gaudette

Demko
Hutton

Stecher

----------

Lockwood
Rathbone
Madden
Rafferty
Malone
McDonough

-------------

Thiessen

Europe:

Pettersson

------------
Jasek
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Plasek
Costmar

Manukyan
Tryamkin

-----------

Utunen

Forsling
Cederholm

We've had one undrafted player make the NHL as a regular (and that's a stretch for MacEwen at this point, but one I'm comfy with) from the CHL. Everyone else has been first rounders. 

Compare that with USHL/NCAA where we've had 5, and could easily end up with 8 none first rounders making the NHL as regulars. 

Petey is our only drafted European player to be an NHL regular at this point. But we should see at least 2 more, and all of them were projected first rounders...

This team needs to stick to its guns which is NCAA/USHL
46% of NCAA USHL picks have become NHL Regulars
That number could rise to 64% if Rathbone, and Madden make it too.
Only 2 of those picks were 1st rounders!!!

CHL is about 10% (Only 1st rounders made it)
Europe is about 9% (Only 1st rounders made it)

The difference is incredible. 

Utenen is a bust?

News to me.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, mll said:

Senators' GM Dorion comes from a scouting family and climbed the ranks as a scout.  His take on this year's draft:

"We did our homework, and in this plan of the rebuild we always felt that this 2020 draft would be one of the deepest that's come along in many years," Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said.

"We always knew this would be one of the better drafts in the last 10-20 years and that's the reason why we stockpiled those picks," Dorion said. "We wanted to get ready for it. We feel that we're in a very good position. I think we're in a good position to help our rebuild, our long-term success, by stockpiling so many picks for this year's draft. We feel it's a very good, quality draft. We feel that in the top 15-20 you're going to get really good NHL players. In the top three rounds we feel you're going to get real solid NHL players too.

this is going to be one of the weirdest draft outcomes ever imo, I think we're gong to see more guys out of later rounds become good players. The scouting year ended so early I doubt anyone has a great read on later rounds at all and will be picking for need more often than not. Just my 2 cents but I really think the lack of time to scout for a full year will have a big impact. 

Edited by Robert Long

48 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

As per NHL.COM:

The 2020 NHL Draft will be held virtually Oct. 6-7. The first round will be Oct. 6 (7 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVAS). Rounds 2-7 are Oct. 7 (11:30 a.m. ET; NHLN, SN1). NHL.com is counting down to the draft with in-depth profiles on top prospects and other features. Today, a look at Alexis Lafreniere and his rise to being the projected No. 1 pick of the draft. NHL.com's full draft coverage can be found here.

Thanks! Pinned to top of thread.