The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Nylander (Buf) traded to Chi for Jokiharju

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Man, I would have considered giving up Podkolzin for Jokiharju to be honest. He looked really good in his NHL stint and played very well in the AHL this year. Juolevi and Jokiharju could have been a great 2nd pairing for us. 

The Sabres have acquired Montour, Miller and Jokiharju in half a year and are now in a position where they can cash in on Ristolainen. How many RHD have we acquired?

How many prospects do the Canucks have that have the potential of Nylander?

12 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Chicago will regret trading Jokiharju.

i think he is better than any of the Blackhawks upcoming young dman.

Haven't seen enough of Mitchell, Boqvist, or Beaudin to dispute that, but I definitely liked what I saw in Joker.

With that being said, Nylander will be given every opportunity to succeed with the Hawks.  And with Toews, Saad, Kane, Strome, Debrincat, Kubalik, and Dach, the Hawks have the ability to surround him with talent.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Don't like the idea of giving up on Jokiharju so quickly, but I do like the potential for Nylander to turn into a bonafide top 6'er.

Also tells me Stan and his cronies are extremely high on Boqvist and Mitchell.

They gave up on Forsling too. He was supposed to be the next big thing according to Canucks fans!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

How many prospects do the Canucks have that have the potential of Nylander?

I'm not a scout or anything and I've only really seen Alex play during the WJC with EP, but I don't really see why people have such high hopes for him. Maybe the thinking is he'll be like William Nylander one day? IMO - nothing indicates it. He doesn't have the speed, hockey IQ or playmaking skill (he does seem to be a decent finisher though).

Also - if you look at his stats, they're not really that impressive either. Linus Karlsson for instance - projected as a third liner at best by many - looks like a much better prospect if you just go by the stats.

So I'd say we have at least 5 prospects with better potential, probably more than 5 ;-)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Silver Ghost said:

Decent trade for both teams really. Advantage Buffalo though imo

Chicago has been a mixed bag in their trades the past few years (just goes to show us that it's not just the Canucks that sometimes makes mistakes), but I really thought they screwed up the Strome trade but now it seems that they won it as they seem to be able to finally release Strome's talent. If they can release Nylander's talent in the same fashion, then they win this trade.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yikes, not a Nylander fan at all, not sure what CHI are thinking here... :wacko: Best of luck to them with him...

@Canuck Surfer, still think they're not moving out Ristolainen or SOMEBODY out?

I absolutely hate the trade for Chicago! Love it for Buffalo. Chicago however, has fleeced, primarily Arizona & Edmonton, by taking on underperforming forward prospects who are suddenly gold or at least more effective with Patrick Kane & an up tempo game. I personally am not that confident it will turn out as well as Dylan Strome for them. At least they honestly had the D prospect depth where it at least will not hurt them. I never saw the same potential in Alex as I did his brother, who I do like.     

My first thoughts would be Buffalo made the move because opportunity to fleece someone turned up.  RHD Risto, Montour, Miller, Bogo in my view best to so,so.

So my own personal view is I would move Bogo at the deadline or sooner. Let Joki get drip fed into the lineup.  

But maybe you know something I don't.  Wonder what the Hockey Minister thinks? 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Podkolzin, Hoglander, and several more.  Nylander is a bustaroo.  

Pretty sure Buffalo wanted ready now prospects, not ones locked up in other leagues for next year and beyond.

And Nylander is as much a bustaroo as Virtanen.

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yikes, not a Nylander fan at all, not sure what CHI are thinking here... :wacko: Best of luck to them with him...

@Canuck Surfer, still think they're not moving out Ristolainen or SOMEBODY out?

they don't technically have to... but it sure seems like it doesn't it? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Pretty sure Buffalo wanted ready now prospects, not ones locked up in other leagues for next year and beyond.

And Nylander is as much a bustaroo as Virtanen.

Jake has proven to be a valuable third or even fourth liner.  For his draft spot, it’s not what we hoped, but he is certainly and NHL player.  Alex Nylander is a nothing.  He’s not a top six, and he’s not a bottom six.  He’s a nothing.  I call prospects, who are nothings - bustaroos.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2