The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is our most important player

Rate this topic

Jetliner

summer poll questions FTW  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

There seems to be a consensus that the rebuild is complete, and that is the team going into the 2019-2020 season (safe to assume boeser will sign and 1-2 more moves to put the team under the cap) . Who do you think is our most important player on the current roster, and why

A franchise center is the most importance piece to have for an NHL team.   

Elias Pettersson is our most important player, hands down.    

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Love Petey to death, but I still think Horvat is our most important player.   Hes the only player that comes close to comparing to O'Reilly and what he did for the Blues.  When we do make the playoffs, the O'Reilly types are going be the most important player on your team. 

Peteys a close 2nd, then Tanev or Edler, then Boeser.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Elias has one year under his belt, a solid rookie season worthy of the Calder.He's definitely vital moving forward. Still, I think Bo is the glue that holds this team together at the moment. If you have ever been around the team most of the players call him "Cap". I'll vote Bo.

Demko.  As far as difference makers go I think goalies are the most important.  Slight edge over Pettersson, he’s obviously special and also is in an important spot. No idea if he can make it work, but if he can become a top five or even top ten goalie holes on the team don’t matter as much.   Look no further then Patrick Roy and what he was able to do with two teams that really had no business making it to the final let alone winning the cup.   A great goalie is always the biggest difference maker.

edit:  ok for some reason my brain read this wrong.’  Who’s the most important player, well that’s obviously EP as of right now.  What’s the most important position, goaltending.   Horvat also is important, no Horvat no points for EP. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pettersson.

Not just because he’s our best player and plays a prime position. But because of his influence on the others. All last season, we’d read about Canucks watching Elias and feeing inspired to become better versions of themselves.

I mean, just read these words from Horvat:

“For sure I was inspired by him. I can say it first hand. He inspires me to be a better 200-foot player.

“And he’s only played five games,” said Horvat.

He can’t help but laugh at how that sounds out loud. But he’s so on point here.

“I noticed he was special in preseason,” he continued. “It was right away. You could see it. It’s why everyone in this room has so much respect for him.

“Why I have so much respect for him is because he plays so hard away from the puck.

“It’s insane. The skill, you see it. That’s sick. But for him to be so good defensively and positionally and for him to be so relentless on the puck, it’s unbelievable to watch.

“As an older guy like me, who has been in the league for five years, I watch him and I want to be like him. I want to be like that.

“He pushes me to be a better player.

“It’s awesome to have someone on your team who pushes you.”

That’s what makes Petey our most important player. 

He pushes even a heart and soul guy like Horvat, a guy with unquestionable work ethic, to elevate his game.

Can I change my pick from Bo to Petey? 

Do we ever have a special team brewing. 

Bo Horvat. He is our emotional leader. The glue that keeps this team together. when guys went down with injuries last year he stepped up and maintained his production despite a lack of support.

He may not put up numbers like brock or petey as their careers progress, but he will be the one that wills us through the toughest of obstacles that stand in our way. He is our '94 Trevor Linden.

• Cheers 2