The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

The science behind the process of how concussions effect different individuals is still early in understanding (obviously, your understanding is behind as well).  Because so little is known, Benning and Co took a calculated risk and were wrong this time.  I applaud there decision it took balls. 

So what... Put him on LTIR... and get Simmonds or someone of his ilk.  It ain't your money.  

I hope Ferland takes this time to be with his young family and just get better.  Maybe a blessing in disguise.

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Edited to remove hidden quote and references to said quote.
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

At this point he needs to take a calendar year off. Pull the Crosby... maybe give it a go next year around this time, if that doesn't work it is curtains on his career unfortunately. That is his best option right now unless he just full on LTIRetires for the rest of his contract.

Yup, no point risking anything at this point if he's not 100%.

Take the year off and aim for training camp.

You never know.

I hope he does some serious thinking for the rest of the season. I'm sure he and the team did their due diligence with his health concerns and tried all the right things, but this is just how it is. The guy should take now and the summer off.

Maybe give it a go for training camp if he's feeling good but even then I'm not sure.

• Cheers 1

Man, I feel the for guy. He's an absolute warrior. The Canucks would have been a completely different team with him. I really felt a healthy Ferland would have put us right up there at the top. Team would have played a lot different. Now all Ferland has to do is worry about his long term health. NOT hockey. Really just hope he feels better. Instead of Simmonds I wonder how much Josh Anderson from CLB would cost.... 27 goals last year, 1 this season. 6'4 220, tough as nails and WILL stick up for teammates. Obviously would cost more than Simmonds but is only 25 and an RFA. We need someone that will play a Ferland type role on our team beyond this season.

• Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Absolutely disgusting they tried playing him.  If he took a hard enough knock it may have drastically changed his life in ways people who haven't gone through it themselves will never understand.

Like you said, it's hard to diagnose.   

Pretty sure the doctors have to clear him and also Ferland has a say as well. 

You can't blame management for going with the advice of the doctors AND the player himself.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Did I blame management?  And no Ferland doesn't have a say.. 

If you are having reoccurring issues from slight bumps over and over again you need to shut it down, not just keep taking one month off then coming back.

Everybody involved is to blame

I don't see eye to eye with you a ton, but I'm kinda with you on this. I'm not going to claim to be any sort of expert, but considering the severity of his issues and how quickly he was out again after trying to come back the first time, it seemed to me that sitting him out for the rest of the season was the wisest course of action for all involved. 

48 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

All the best to Ferland.  If you read this, brother ditch your doctor and I can give you some real advice.  Cheers

years ago Canucks had a defenseman named Willy Mitchell who has a severe concussion and he had symptoms for a long time, enough so that Gillis shut him down, Willy was furious and he went on to play for LA Kings winning a Stanley cup, and then on to the Florida Panthers.  I am sure the Organization has had great doctors for Ferland ,but concussions are a funny thing. only Ferland can really know how he feels. I hope he hangs up his skates and concentrates on himself and his family now.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

Hopefully he just shuts out down the rest of the season, and when able, does the neck strengthening etc that Crosby did to get back.

Try again next year if able but make sure the rest of his life, health and well being are the priority.

• Cheers 1

Dammit!  Well, I hope for the sake of his health and future wellbeing that he doesn’t suit up to play again.  This is where the big business part of the game can play a very bad part.  I hope they find a way to let him off the hook and still get paid, while being fair to the Canucks at the same time. 

I was listening to Rick Nash on the radio today.  He retired as well from his concussion issues.  He was thinking of his life with his wife and young children. 

I heard Ferland also has a young family.  Hope he does the right thing and retires (after LTIR...I'm guessing).

• Cheers 1

On 2/11/2020 at 1:44 PM, The 5th Line said:

It's still just way too soon imo.  He was concussed so damn easily, didn't take all that much time off before skating again either now he's already playing games. I'd keep him out of game action for another month at least, even with no symptoms present.  

Looks like you were right after all.  It's really quite sad.  For us Canucks fans but mostly for Ferland himself.  I hope he gets well soon and does what is right for his long term health.  Go Canucks Go!