The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Trevor Linden be a part of the celebration next season?

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Trevor Linden and 50th Anniversary Season Celebration  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While it didn't end well, I wonder how many people remember just how much a laughing stock of a franchise ours was before Quinn got here?  He brought respectability & pride to the team.  And Linden was a good part of the reason for that.

When Vancouver almost (and should have) upset a stocked CAL that breezed to a cup after us (just like Detroit did in 2002 - and LA in 2012) that team was starting to become special.   Quin was an exceptional guy, a players coach - most of those guys would have stepped infront of a bus for him - and made some key moves that made us a very good team right until the end.  Adding Mogilny was crazy at the time, too bad Bure wasn’t healthy for most of it... things eventually imploded, it was like a tragedy at the time... no more Quin, Linden gone as well as his backers so Messier could have his C.  Keenan coaching.  Like the twilight zone.   We had Linden, Bure, Mogilny in their prime with an very good supporting cast...and only a few years away from our epic run... if Messier was happy with an A and second line duties and Bure was paid/signed that team on paper at least was like noting we ever had and likely never will under the cap.  

As an aside back to Linden - how many times did he hit guys through the glass? Three or was it four..

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Linden is our Beliveau even though we didn’t win in the end.  The Captain of captains....

Even though we did NOT win the cup... in the end all Canuck fans were WINNERS for getting the experience of a stanley cup final round and enjoying the amazing team we had in 1994

Linden taught us all lessons in 1994 that we all still can use / appreciate today....  The lesson to never give up and to continue on even when you are hurting......  to compete hard... etc...   LInden's lesson to us Canuck fans will be forever........

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 2

Trevor should be a big part of the celebration. All JB and the Aquamen have to remember is how Pat Quinn was treated after he was fired in the 90's

He felt he wasn't welcomed to the organization that he saved until Linden came back as president.

If there are still ill feelings about what happened with Linden, ownership needs to take the high road by celebrating all of his accomplishments for the Trevor and all of the fans.

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes he’s going to make an appearance at some point.   No even though management basically used him as deflector shield his name can’t be tarnished - because he was the greatest Captain this team had ever seen - AND any fan of Bertuzzi - Luongo and Henrik Sendin owe everything to Linden getting traded.  Same with Markstrom - his career is still reverberating into our lineup to this day.  I’m stoked he’s no longer being used by the owners and management - but I also know he’s an icon.  We could win a cup this year or in five years and people will still consider him the best and greatest Canuck ever.

Sure we will see the Sedins.  And glad we will.  Don’t care if we see Linden or not but know we will at some point - and that fans will go ballistic when it happens.  No player before and in the future will ever have as much impact in this organization unless they rival Gretzky.   Horvat is one of the best 2nd line centres in the league and will be happy when he’s named Captain.!  He has some huge shoes to fill before he ousts Linden as the greatest captain in team history. I mean come on who goes out and scores two goals in game seven with broken ribs.....only Linden.   

Don’t forget a broken nose as well.

The imagine of Linden kneeling at the bench trying to put the broken nose bone back in place after being defeated by the Rangers, is one of the most heartbreaking/iconic moment in Canucks history, along with the imagine of him hugging McLean, with blood stained on his jersey, after game 6. 

There really shouldn’t be a debate on who the greatest Canucks is. Linden emphasize what a Canucks is/was. No talents, records, or awards can beat that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can see why Linden left. Being President is a thankless job. Many hours spent away from home. Watching video, watching from the press box. Going to tournaments, Utica games. Then you get nothing but grief from certain quarters of the fan base.

I don't blame him in the slightest for leaving. He probably just wants to enjoy retirement and spend time with is family. 

Pretty sure ownership has no issues having Trevor come back for 50th events. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

The imagine of Linden kneeling at the bench trying to put the broken nose bone back in place after being defeated by the Rangers, is one of the most heartbreaking/iconic moment in Canucks history, along with the imagine of him hugging McLean, with blood stained on his jersey, after game 6. 

There really shouldn’t be a debate on who the greatest Canucks is. Linden emphasize what a Canucks is/was. No talents, records, or awards can beat that.

You bet.   Watching the Rangers celebrate with our team watching on, was the single most depressing/sinking feeling thing I’ve witnessed as a fan.  Moore/Brashear  probably second and third, then the 2011 game seven - it just wasn’t the same 94 felt like destiny once we made the final and clawed our way back as the underdog, in 2011 we were supposed to win - both playoffs we beat some good-great teams...next time it’s our turn. 

As an aside i like what Button has to say about us both in his midsummer report and regarding the JB extension.  TG has us showing a similar effort, with more capable players and continued growth under his tutelage this is starting to feel like a team that could do great things.   Horvat is the closest guy to Linden since (though he’s no Linden either),  if he can take one more step as a player AND blossom as a leader it will be something else.  

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

shiznak, IBatch, and kingofsurrey you all have been pretty special bringing back memories of '94. I would add the Messier mugging of Linden who had broken ribs. He dragged himself to his skates and coasted back to the bench, hunched over. He never missed a shift! There has never been a player like him play for the Canucks. As a fan looking from outside there are likely stories we will never know. The proof in my mind was the universal accolades his team mates heaped on him. IMHO the '94 team was better than the '11 team and it will be the team that all Canuck team should be measured. The best in 50 years! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

shiznak, IBatch, and kingofsurrey you all have been pretty special bringing back memories of '94. I would add the Messier mugging of Linden who had broken ribs. He dragged himself to his skates and coasted back to the bench, hunched over. He never missed a shift! There has never been a player like him play for the Canucks. As a fan looking from outside there are likely stories we will never know. The proof in my mind was the universal accolades his team mates heaped on him. IMHO the '94 team was better than the '11 team and it will be the team that all Canuck team should be measured. The best in 50 years! 

People will always compare the 94 run and the most recent run. I think the 94 run was more fondly remembered because we were the underdogs and everyone loves an underdog story. In 2011, we were a machine. We were meant to win. When we didn't, it was far more disappointing despite losing in game 7 as well. We weren't suppose to be there in 94, so everything was magical about it.

Each run had their big moments of glory though. Maclean's two pad stack, Bure's OT winner, Adams' winner and just the battles in the finals. Then we have the slayed dragon, Kesler's dominance, Bieksa's stanchion, but the finals seemed a bit marred. Perhaps if our team had lost their minds for a night or two and just defended themselves/be aggressors rather than hoping the refs would do their job, then even if we still had lost, the memories would be more of pride.

Edited by theo5789
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

People will always compare the 94 run and the most recent run. I think the 94 run was more fondly remembered because we were the underdogs and everyone loves an underdog story. In 2011, we were a machine. We were meant to win. When we didn't, it was far more disappointing despite losing in game 7 as well. We weren't suppose to be there in 94, so everything was magical about it.

Each run had their big moments of glory though. Maclean's two pad stack, Bure's OT winner, Adams' winner and just the battles in the finals. Then we have the slayed dragon, Kesler's dominance, Bieksa's stanchion, but the finals seemed a bit marred. Perhaps if our team had lost their minds for a night or two and just defended themselves/be aggressors rather than hoping the refs would do their job, then even if we still had lost, the memories would be more of pride.

The other glaring difference between the two teams was the fact that the 94' team's stars had "memorable moments" while the 2011 stars? Not so much. The Twins and Luongo struggled while Bure, Linden and McLean came up big when they needed to in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, IBatch said:

That is the nicest thing I’ve seen you say in a while.  And I completely agree with you. 

Edit: for fans that have only seen WCE and Sedin era....sorry you missed out. Under Quin the Canucks made the playoffs 7 out of 9 years...and fans of that were forever know things could be so much better.   Like what JB has done but never expected we’d do much 

Yeah, it has been a long time, but what JB is doing now feels like those days of the 90s where Linden, Bure, and McLean reigned supreme in Vancouver.  Hope Horvat, Pettersson, and Demko replace those 3, but add in a Boeser and Hughes to take us over the top.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, it has been a long time, but what JB is doing now feels like those days of the 90s where Linden, Bure, and McLean reigned supreme in Vancouver.  Hope Horvat, Pettersson, and Demko replace those 3, but add in a Boeser and Hughes to take us over the top.

That’s a good point.  I’d do really like the direction he’s going and the players he’s picked to create a new core.   I never really got into the WCE team given I was always comparing it to the Linden teams and it fell short - it was only when we got Luongo that I got really excited again (was a fan of him before we got him).  

Now I’m cautiously optimistic - next year will be a big step one way or the other but like our odds at taking a big step much like when we traded Bertuzzi.   JB worked his ass off this off-season, completely changed the complexion of the team... 

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Yep.  It is and was.  The 2011 team maybe was better on paper (debatable) but they don’t come up as much as the 94 team for the best we’ve ever had - and the 2011 cup winner isn’t as memorable either (best final since expansion at the time and after) ... 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, April Lowe said:

Where was Trevor last night? Loved to see the 5 players who have been a part of the Canuck story over the past 50 years, especially loved seeing Bertuzzi. Where however was Trevor? Big miss from my perspective!!

He was away on a trip planned months ago which included missing the 50th anniversary opening ceremonies on purpose. Obviously, Trevor wants absolutely nothing to do with the Aquilinis and CSE and who could blame him? However, he will be present for when the Sedins have their numbers retired. Players who have their numbers retired have their own guest list and one could bet that Trevor will be on that list.

Imo Linden will always be the Canucks Team Captain.

as far as the Canucks 50th anniversary goes I’m sure Linden will be there as all us Canucks fan will be celebrating the 50th but also the winning Stanley Cup this season.

also the huge bigger announcement of the Canucks bringing back the vintage tri color gloves.

I did not vote on this matter as the question involves Linden only.

The only thing preventing Linden from being Linden is Linden’s Ego.

The Sedins though... 

Epic.

And now.

heeeeerrrrrrrrrssss Horvaaaaaaaaaaatt !!!

Edited by Me_

8 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Imo Linden will always be the Canucks Team Captain.

as far as the Canucks 50th anniversary goes I’m sure Linden will be there as all us Canucks fan will be celebrating the 50th but also the winning Stanley Cup this season.

also the huge bigger announcement of the Canucks bringing back the vintage tri color gloves.

Well, the radio yesterday said Captain Canuck when Horvat scored so... 

that makes Horvat, Captain Canuck.

And I’m fine with that.