The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, shiznak said:

He got manhandled twice by Draisaitl, Kassian deked him out of his jockstrap (although he made a nice recovery), and was partially fault on the game winning goal. 

He didn’t necessarily had a bad game, but he didn’t have a great game either.

Did he get manhandled by Draisaitl? The only thing I remember is that he took the puck away from Draisaitl. Perhaps I missed this part. 

I don't know, the board seems pretty split. I thought he was very good.

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Couple thoughts

1. Hughes the 19 yr old defenseman cannot be assigned mdcavid and or draisitle. It was evident 5 mins into the game green should have adjusted and we lost this game because he didnt. If we're going to deploy taven against the worlds best player, then we cant be pairing hughes with tanev. Coaching lost this game.

2. What does sutter bring to this team? It aint offence. And his defenceis survival mode hemmed in our own zone.

3. Ferland looks great.

4. Why does Mike Smith get his own set of rules?  Since when can you take a stick from an opponent and throw it in the corner? Thats like 3 seperate penalties. 

How the f is that missed by all officials.... The throwing of the stick half way across the rink could be seen from half way across the globe.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, arsenalian said:

Powerplay let us down. Not understanding these PP units. Leivo does not belong on first unit. Can’t we just load up the first PP with Petey-Boeser-Hughes-Myers, and whomever?

Boeser-Bo--Petey-Quinn-Myers

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Very true... however missing camp and most of pre season definitely doesn't help neither...

Yes, Boeser wasn't even the problem, more of an observation on his game tonight. Otherwise he was decent.

I'm not gonna fret a whole lot. First game of the season, lots of sloppy hockey from both sides. Game was fun to watch though.

Every game matters, but the first couple of weeks is always meh. I mean the last 4 years we've missed the playoffs and we had strong starts. Every game matters... after like a month of hockey 

• Upvote 1

Just now, spook007 said:

How the f is that missed by all officials.... The throwing of the stick half way across the rink could be seen from half way across the globe.

For real. I live in ontario man. I SEEN IT FROM  &^@#ING ONTARIO.

ON TAR IO

• Haha 4

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

And this is why the Oilers are gonna crash and burn by the end of he season. They are sprinting to get as much of a point buffer as possible before everything grinds to a halt like they always do.

I don’t even think the Oilers dressed a 3rd and 4th line

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Pathetic powerplay. Put in gaudette, call up Baer.

Pettersson was unlucky. He had chances. 

Our team just seemed to lack chemistry in any sort of cycle game. 

It's like they've all been dicking around in practice doing nice looking puck plays. Those work really well in practice when the defence is your own team not interested in getting hurt. I was a really good player, in practice.

Whoooole nother ball of yarn against a team clogging the lanes. Pearson had the right idea. Just shoot the damn thing. You'll get chances. I liked it when our passing would open up their collapsed box to free up the points for some hard shots / one timers - leading to goals.

Boeser trying to thread a pass through 4 flames' sticks in the last 20 seconds of a game kinda sums up my argument.

I actually thought the 3rd line wasn’t half bad.  More shots than the first line and Sutter gave a nice screen on the Edler goal.  

Yeah he coughed it up to McDavid but 97 is literally the best player in the world.  

The issue is our top line needs to play better, period.

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Why the hell was Gaudette not in the lineup????

The 3rd and 4th lines did nothing but give momentum to the Oilers all night long.  Pathetic deployment of players by coach Green.

remember when Green sat Boeser 2 years ago cause the thought he was tired, for me this is kind of the same thing - brain fart by Green.  Gaudette should 100% be in the line up - had one of the best camps, works like a beast, has a shot and probably the best O upside of the bottom six

3 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

you werent watching the game? pearson had 11 shots and 1 goal ( myers was changed to pearson ) , how can u say he was meh with 11 shots ROFL

To be fair, almost all of those shots were generated by others. It wasn't the typical Ovie type 11 shot attempts game lol. The tip in was really nice.

Boeser and EP aren’t a good match even going back to last year, need to be split up. Miller might be a better fit for petterson as he can retrieve the puck, get it to EP and keep up in the neutral zone. Even Goldobin has the skill to get EP the puck with a clean pass and they showed chemistry.

Bear and Gaudette need to be our 3rd line, and not the current combo of 6 checkers that don’t check.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

He threw the stick after the Oilers scored. But there should have been a call when he yanked the stick out of the Canuck’s hand in the first place.

• Cheers 1