The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else worried about Colorado as rivals in the near future?

Rate this topic

Sandro17

So I was looking at our core as compared to Colorado's and I realized that we'll probably be bitter rivals for years to come. We may not be in the same division, but within our conference, there isn't another team that I can see as scary as theirs. Chicago is going to have to rebuild, Edmonton has no depth, and I don't think anyone else is rising as fast as we are.  In a few years we'll be a powerhouse, but so will Colorado. I see both our cores as time bombs waiting to explode.

Lets look at our core compared to theirs:

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

We might have an edge in goal tending though but I see tough times ahead against in our near future than anyone else out there. Having said that, I'm sure were all in for some major excitement and an amazingly bitter but fun rivalry.

Not really, we've got to make the playoffs before we have to worry about that. We'll also have to beat whoever we meet from the Pacific before worrying about Colorado.

Vancouver vs Seattle will be interesting though, unlike some of the Cali teams Seattle should be competitive. Maybe not like Vegas has been, but competitive all the same. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

So I was looking at our core as compared to Colorado's and I realized that we'll probably be bitter rivals for years to come. We may not be in the same division, but within our conference, there isn't another team that I can see as scary as theirs. Chicago is going to have to rebuild, Edmonton has no depth, and I don't think anyone else is rising as fast as we are.  In a few years we'll be a powerhouse, but so will Colorado. I see both our cores as time bombs waiting to explode.

Lets look at our core compared to theirs:

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

We might have an edge in goal tending though but I see tough times ahead against in our near future than anyone else out there. Having said that, I'm sure were all in for some major excitement and an amazingly bitter but fun rivalry.

I agree that Colorado is probably going to be a top team in the West for awhile given their depth.  Their forward group is already very deep but so is their D.  While Byram is still unproven, for them to have him in the pipeline is sick (thanks Ottawa) when they already have Makar and Girard (signed long term).  Erik Johnson is like their Alex Edler, but he's a bit younger.  That D could be insanely good very soon.

What might hopefully happen is that the Canucks will start to peak when the Avs core starts to wane either by age or because of salary cap issues.  As promising as the Canucks core is now, it will be interesting to see how guys like Madden, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rafferty, Lind, Gadjovich and Woo factor in if and when they make the jump.  We also haven't seen what Juolevi can do, notwithstanding concerns about his health.  I wouldn't expect Tryamkin to have a huge impact if he came back, but if he does, then that would immediately ramp up the Canucks ability to compete in a physical game.

If there is any concern about the Canucks future right now, then to me it would have to be at D.  As good as Hughes has been, we don't really have that much high end talent on the blue line (though this is pretty much the Canucks' entire history).  If Hughes can continue to get better and excel and the Canucks can continue to at least find serviceable top-4/6 D to surround him with, then they should be a strong team for awhile.

They'll certainly have amazing D with Makar and Byram. Also adding Kaut and Newhook to the forwards. Grubauer is a good goalie, so I think they'll be very competitive for years, like the Canucks. Could be a new rivalry? Especially if they meet in the playoffs a few times. Canucks will also be adding some good D with Juolevi, Rathbone and Woo, and forwards Podzolzin, Madden and Hoglander. Another good draft in 2020 by Benning and maybe the Canucks become very dangerous.  

You'd have to be foolish not to be worried about Colorado. Superstars and potential superstars all throughout their lineup, incredible depth, and their core is still so young. They've done an absolutely phenomenal job rebuilding and are set up to be the closest thing this generation will see to a dynasty for the next decade. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Colorado is going to be a total handful for years to come.    
Eventually the cap will catch up to them. You can’t have too many good players. Lol

Not if Mackinnon is taking team friendly discounts. That sort of mindset is going to trickle through the team and they will be good for a long time

• Upvote 1

I think that title will go to Oilers. With Colorado not being in the same division anymore, we don't play them enough to be rivals. But I can see where you're coming from. A few tough playoff serieses could change that.

• Upvote 1

Forward group we have Petey, Boeser, Horvat and Miller since he is still in his 20s. Podkolzin I have a lot of faith in. I think he'll be a big time performer for this team. But boy oh boy is it hard to measure up to MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog and Kadri. Jost is coming along, decently well. Only 21 years old, getting 13 minutes a game with mostly dzone starts. Burakovsky has had no trouble fitting in with 21 points in 25 games and is only 24. 

Byram Girard Zadarov and Makar will be tough to overcome if Makar stays this good and Byram reaches his potential. As it stands now the future of our defense is solely on Hughes' shoulders. Tryamkin would be a big, literally, addition. But Juolevi has question marks, still believe he can be top 4 health permitting. Woo has a lot of hype but has top 4 question marks of his own. And outside of them we have nothing in terms of top 4 talent, let alone Byram and Makar level talent. Or even players on Zadarov/Girard's level. At just 21 years old Girard is already good for 25-30 points and playing 20+ minutes a game.

We are gonna need some guys to come overachieve a lil bit and others to fully reach their potential. Juolevi hitting that top 4 potential would be massive to close the defense gap we have. Right now we are fine with guys like Edler, Tanev, and Myers doing the bulk of the heavy lifting. But they aren't the future of this team like Makar, Zadarov, Girard and Byram will be, in some cases they are the now, for the Avs. I give us a pretty significant edge in net though. With that said though I have 0 clue what their goaltending prospect pool looks like. Grubauer is 28 so it can be hit or miss for goalies playing at an elite level into their mid to late 30s.